Reload this Page >

Scam or Not! Urgent Advice

Scam or Not! Urgent Advice

Old Feb 18th 2015, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

alpha101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Scam or Not! Urgent Advice

Dear friends,

first of all, thank you very much for accepting me to be part of this wealth forum community.

Because I need urgent advice, I will be strict and direct...

I was looking for a job intensively in the United States and Canada.
Recently, the U.S. firm, Whiting-Turner contacted me via Linked-In and offered me a job in London, UK. After I passed successfully written and oral examination, I have received an appointment letter in which is stated following:

NOTE: Appointment letter is signed and stamped.

- Duration of contract;
- Amount of monthly salary, and
- Position and my obligations, etc...

Also, it is indicated that Company does not have any obligation for my VISA status, because I am Bosnian citizen and to be able to work in the UK; I have to get VIZA APPROVAL or work permit.

It is also stated that the Company will take allowances' on transport, house and traveling.

After careful consideration, I accepted the offer and signed the letter. Two hours after I have received call in which is stated that the Company is waiting for me to pay 800 GBP in order to start process for VISA express application.

The issue is following:
I was told by my friend who lives and works in London, in order to get job in the UK, the Company should send to me an offer of employment (contract) not appointment letter, which I should bring at local UK embassy and wait for VISA approval.

I do not have any kind of guaranty with appointment letter nor obligation.

In order to be sure that everything is legal not another scam, I decided to contact the Company headquarter directive directly in the United States, but still I am waiting for their response.

I also researched the Company over the internet but according to me, everything seems fine and clear.

Please, help me, need URGENT ADVICE!
Any information could make a lot.

Thanks
Wish you the best...
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scam or Not! Urgent Advice

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread, as you'd posted it in the Job Offers section.

Are you saying that that company offered you a job directly via Linked In without interviewing you and only asking you to take a test? If so, then I'd say that is almost certainly a scam, particularly if they're asking you for money. Why do you have to pay them anything?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Scam, the whole thing including the OP is a scam
Old Feb 19th 2015, 11:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst the company is real it's highly unlikely the same can be said for the job offer. Aside from their dubious recruitment methods and requests for money, Whiting-Turner do not have a UK office nor do they appear on the Home Office's Register of Sponsors, so they couldn't sponsor you for a UK visa even if the offer was real.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 8:03 am
Just Joined

alpha101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Scam or Not! Urgent Advice

It is confirmed, the 100% scam. The problem is solved quickly thanks to all of you.

You have saved my money and time.
And, also, especially if you are coming from non-EU countries think twice when you received LinkedIn job offer and without contract in your hands, you do not have any kind of guaranty.

However, check the ridiculous VISA application that I received from them.

Old Feb 20th 2015, 9:01 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

only in the 'Republic of the UK' can this happen
Old Feb 20th 2015, 3:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

looking on the web, lots of press on this one & it appears this has been going on for quite some time, making promises 'for money', its origins is either Nigeria or Uganda that the 'money scam' job offer came from

sorted
Old Feb 20th 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alpha101
It is confirmed, the 100% scam. The problem is solved quickly thanks to all of you.

You have saved my money and time.
And, also, especially if you are coming from non-EU countries think twice when you received LinkedIn job offer and without contract in your hands, you do not have any kind of guaranty.

However, check the ridiculous VISA application that I received from them.

http://i60.tinypic.com/14xfmgk.jpg

So the UK is a republic now
Old Feb 20th 2015, 10:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
So the UK is a republic now
Has anyone broken the news to Her Majesty?
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
...., its origins is either Nigeria or ....... that the 'money scam' job offer came from. ......
Well that doesn't seem very likely!
Old Feb 24th 2015, 4:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Has anyone broken the news to Her Majesty?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 2:33 am
Just Joined

aesiovwa is an unknown quantity at this point

@not2old how do you know its of "Nigerian or Ugandan" origin? It's the internet aka the world wide web??? It could be from any where in the world.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

philwood has a spectacular aura aboutphilwood has a spectacular aura aboutphilwood has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by aesiovwa
@not2old how do you know its of "Nigerian or Ugandan" origin? It's the internet aka the world wide web??? It could be from any where in the world.
A lot of scams like this do tend to come from Nigeria and similar African countries. India and Pakistan tend to target other kinds of scams, such as fixing your computer or getting hold of false ID.

That's a generalization. It doesn't mean that everybody must fit into those categories.

On the other hand, yes it definitely sounded like a major scam right from the start. Thank goodness you didn't continue with their "visa application".
Old Feb 26th 2015, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philwood
A lot of scams like this do tend to come from Nigeria and similar African countries. .....
Google <419 scam>. The results are some combination of interesting, hilarious, and scary.