Router Help

Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Router Help

Recently our router has been cutting out a lot or won't let devices connect if too many things are connected. I've spoken with TWC who we rent it from and they haven't been able to sort it so I've decided its time to get a new one.

Through their website and Walmarts (where I have to go for groceries later today) I've narrowed it down to these 3.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-DO...Modem/19721149

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-S...Modem/20742485

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zoom-Telep...Modem/19592603

What I'm hoping for is someone to tell me if theres a difference between the 3 and whether itd make a difference if I went for one over the other one. The only one that has anything going for it over the others is that the Motorola one is in stock right now whereas the others would need to be ordered.

Any help is appreciated as I don't really know much about cable modems. I've worked as tech support for broadband companies in England but it seems to be completely different here.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Router Help

As this is not in the lab, thought this was going to be a woodworking question

Have you searched on each router and your provider, and seen what the world thinks?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Is the problem with the router or the cable modem? You are indicating cable modems and not routers. You can normally determine if the problem is with the router or the modem (unless the TWC is a combined router/modem) by hard wiring your computer to the router and if that works, it is probably the router.

Any of those cable modems that you indicated are all good since they are DOCSIS 3.0. Any of those will support throughputs well beyond what TWC is capable of providing.

There are no combined router modems available on the open market. If you need a router or a router plus a cable modem, then chose any of those cable modems and find a router. If you live in an apartment or condo, I'd get a dual band 802.11b/g/n type router and use the 5 GHz band with any devices that support the 5 GHz band. Otherwise a single band 802.11b/g/n router should be fine.

If you have a landline phone connection through your cable system, it is likely that you have a combined modem and VOIP unit. Those can't be purchased on the open market and must be gotten from TWC. If that is bad, bring that to the local TWC office and exchange it for a new one. They should exchange anything that you think might be bad at no charge.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 24th 2013 at 7:45 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking for a router or a modem? The title says router but those three links go to modems. Personally I like the Motorola SURFboard modems. I used two versions of them for probably a decade with no real issues. Now we have to got a no name, integrated modem/phone/UPS one from our crappy cable company and have had nothing but problems with it. Out of those three just based on my preference, and if you really are looking at modems, I would go with the SURFboard.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even get this page to load on my computer at the moment so I've grabbed my phone instead.

I completely forgot about the wireless options. As mentioned, am I right in thinking I'd need one of the modems in the links and then a wireless router aswell? I'm using a rented one from TWC right now.

Originally Posted by Michael
Is the problem with the router or the cable modem? You are indicating cable modems and not routers. You can normally determine if the problem is with the router or the modem (unless the TWC is a combined router/modem) by hard wiring your computer to the router and if that works, it is probably the router.

Any of those cable modems that you indicated are all good since they are DOCSIS 3.0. Any of those will support throughputs well beyond what TWC is capable of providing.

There are no combined router modems available on the open market. If you need a router or a router plus a cable modem, then chose any of those cable modems and find a router. If you live in an apartment or condo, I'd get a dual band 802.11b/g/n type router and use the 5 GHz band with any devices that support the 5 GHz band. Otherwise a single band 802.11b/g/n router should be fine.

If you have a landline phone connection through your cable system, it is likely that you have a combined modem and VOIP unit. Those can't be purchased on the open market and must be gotten from TWC. If that is bad, bring that to the local TWC office and exchange it for a new one.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Isn't this what I'd need?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zoom-Telep...ess-N/17173770
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
About two years ago, I don't believe those combined units were available on the open market.

That is what you need if you don't have a landline phone through the cable connection and you currently have a combined modem/router. If you also have a landline phone connection, you can only use TWC's combined router, modem, VoIP unit.

Once you get the new unit, you may have to call TWC and have them pair the new modem but not sure since it doesn't have a VoIP unit.

Edit: After thinking about it, I don't think you have to pair the modem but just install it and start using it.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 24th 2013 at 8:28 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:33 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

It's unclear from your post whether your problem is with the router or the modem.

If you are going to buy a modem, then you should get one from this list:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...our-modem.html

However, before you buy anything, your first step should be to go to the cable company's branch office in your area, and exchange your modem. This should cost you nothing, since you are renting it from the cable provider.

If you do require a router, then that may be a separate issue. If you have VOIP phone service, then you will need a router that is compatible with the phone service provider. If you do need a router, then I would suggest that you get a router that can handle several connections and includes wireless.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Feb 24th 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, I mixed up router and modem.

We don't have any phone services at all so thats not a problem.

The problem we're having is that when my wife and I both try to connect our laptops, one of them gets kicked off which never used to be an issue. Recently my phone hasn't kept the signal all the time either.

I think I need a cable modem with built in wireless so I can avoid having 2 devices.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you also subscribe to cable TV? If you do and that works OK, then it is not a problem with the amplifier in the street. However if you don't subscribe to cable TV, then you don't know if the amplifier in the street is bad. However you can normally determine that by asking neighbors on both sides of your home whether they are having problems since there are about 4 amplifiers per mile on the street cable (one about every 1,300 feet) and at least one of them should be after the same amplifier as you.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have TV through TWC too and thats working fine.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Recently our router has been cutting out a lot or won't let devices connect if too many things are connected. I've spoken with TWC who we rent it from and they haven't been able to sort it so I've decided its time to get a new one.

Through their website and Walmarts (where I have to go for groceries later today) I've narrowed it down to these 3.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-DO...Modem/19721149

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-S...Modem/20742485

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zoom-Telep...Modem/19592603

What I'm hoping for is someone to tell me if theres a difference between the 3 and whether itd make a difference if I went for one over the other one. The only one that has anything going for it over the others is that the Motorola one is in stock right now whereas the others would need to be ordered.

Any help is appreciated as I don't really know much about cable modems. I've worked as tech support for broadband companies in England but it seems to be completely different here.
STOP!

Guess you're using a combined modem and wi-fi/ethernet router? You need to check before you proceed. It's also best to replace it with two boxes: the modem and the wi-fi/ethernet router.

Use the reviews on these at newegg.com. You may need to pay shipping, but as newegg doesn't charge sales tax, it's probably cheaper than the local big box store. I generally like Motorola DOCIS 3 cable modems and Buffalo or Asus wifi/ethernet routers running DD-WRT.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

There are no combined router modems available on the open market. If you need a router or a router plus a cable modem, then chose any of those cable modems and find a router.
I used a Linksys unit for several years which was a combo. It's referred to as a gateway. It worked pretty well but I'm not sure they make one anymore. I'm using Motorola Surfboard now with a seperate router and it's worked well for the last year.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You will have to register your new MAC address of your modem with TWC. The following is how it is done.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12117486_reg...me-warner.html
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's also best to replace it with two boxes: the modem and the wi-fi/ethernet router.
I agree with this. It may end up costing a little more but it's easier to troubleshoot and generally better performance. I've had issues with Netgear wireless boxes that family members own but never had problems with my Linksys or any other Linksys that I've had to "support." I like the trust WRT454G but that doesn't have your super speed N rating and operates at 2.4ghz. Amazon seem to have the cheapest prices around and if you have prime, you can get one in a day or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.