Reverse culture shock?

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reverse culture shock?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Scouse was in Perth, Western Australia for 25 years. Always planned to come home, but now he's back he's not coping with the winters very well. We'll probably return to Oz once I've obtained British citizenship
My OH is less settled than me too! Luckily our plan is to spend the winters in Cape town, where we are at the moment at 33deg heat and he is so very happy! Can you not do something like that! We save up all year to afford this but are lucky we have family accommodation! Once I am British we may very well buy something here and a lock up and go in England and do the swallow 6month thing! The amount of British and Germans we have come accross who are doing it in retirement is astounding!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Sorry to hear about your husband, he has tried living back in England and its not working for him, to be fair he seems to have felt like that for a while from some of your previous mentioning's. I would not bother waiting around for my British Citizenship, what's the point? if it was me I would "take" him back home to Perth as soon as I could. Good luck with everything I hope it all works out for you both
Thanks but we've talked about it a lot and another 4 years works for both of us. We're a couple who would be happy together just about anywhere - he's not miserable by any means and we have a good life. He's just changed his mind about the UK being 'forever', whereas I was hoping it would be.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
My OH is less settled than me too! Luckily our plan is to spend the winters in Cape town, where we are at the moment at 33deg heat and he is so very happy! Can you not do something like that! We save up all year to afford this but are lucky we have family accommodation! Once I am British we may very well buy something here and a lock up and go in England and do the swallow 6month thing! The amount of British and Germans we have come accross who are doing it in retirement is astounding!
It's a bit unexpected when it happens, isn't it?! (you settling better than them). Spending winters, or part of them, somewhere warmer is definitely doable - the only thing stopping us from doing that at the moment is the old doggie (our golden retriever, not my husband)

So great that you have family to stay with in Cape Town and that you both enjoy your time there, sounds just ideal for you! Really glad that things have come together for you FB
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but we've talked about it a lot and another 4 years works for both of us. We're a couple who would be happy together just about anywhere - he's not miserable by any means and we have a good life. He's just changed his mind about the UK being 'forever', whereas I was hoping it would be.
I have learnt to accept that nothing is forever and that we survive far better in the world if we are mutable and expandable and can adapt to all situations. I no longer look to years in advance now only taking it a couple of years ahead rather. I was spending too much time planning and not living. Good on you both for trying all of this out! It means you have a lot of courage!
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sooyp is an unknown quantity at this point

I am actually considering moving back home. I find New England just as depressing as Old England except back home I don't live in a constant sense of apprehension whether my employer will terminate my employment with a day's notice and royally screw me and my family over.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
If this is how you feel on your visits home then I would not move back, I am not sure where you visit it sounds horrendous but it certainly does not describe the areas where we live or our families.
It's just a matter of fact. That is what I saw, that's my experience of reverse culture shock. Certainly not a reason not to go home. Home is where your heart is, warts and all.
Since I focused on the negatives, I guess it behooves me to mention some aspects of positive culture shock:
1. Food
From the supermarkets to the restaurants, the prices, quality and selection of food is superb and has improved a million percent since I left.
2. Public transport
Trains and buses are sleek, comfortable and on time. In the 70s trains were grimy and smelled awful. I do miss the windows that could be opened though. I'm sure Health and Safety had a hand in their demise
3. The Channel Tunnel
Brilliant. I remember taking both a ferry and a hovercraft over to France in the 70s. Both awful. The ease and speed of the Chunnel is a marvel. Doesn't hurt that a friend works for them and we can all go over with her for only one pound each way!
4. Festivals, fetes and just stuff to do in general.
There is always something of a cultural nature going on. I'm so happy to see wonderful landmarks being used in creative ways. I lived near Hampton Court Palace before I left and there were only 2 things one could do there: tour the state apartments and walk the gardens. Now it is home to an annual garden festival, a venue for concerts, a destination for river tours and so much more.
6. Bacon sandwiches.....the bacon has improved, now served on bakery baps instead of white bread......enough said
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:46 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
6. Bacon sandwiches.....the bacon has improved, now served on bakery baps instead of white bread......enough said
Mmmmm, take my money! Lol
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 10:27 pm
Concierge

It's a cruel thing to talk about bacon sandwiches when one your readers is trying to shed the excess pounds she's put on since landing in the UK. Excess pounds that are due in no small part to the excellence of the bacon sarnies here
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 6:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a cruel thing to talk about bacon sandwiches when one your readers is trying to shed the excess pounds she's put on since landing in the UK. Excess pounds that are due in no small part to the excellence of the bacon sarnies here
Just give up the bread and stick with the bacon.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 6:51 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just give up the bread and stick with the bacon.
Ya big green meanie
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ya big green meanie
What? If I've piled on weight and am trying to cut down, I'd keep the bacon and lose everything else. I can live without bread if I have to.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:18 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What? If I've piled on weight and am trying to cut down, I'd keep the bacon and lose everything else. I can live without bread if I have to.
Ah, I see - thought you were winding me up Bacon's off my self-imposed list, I'm being stupidly strict with myself. I struggled into one of my favourite dresses a few weeks ago and bore a strange resemblance to an elephant in a tutu.

By the way, 'big green meanie' is quite a compliment in Australia
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Chewing gum on the pavements on the Yookay was a surprise for me. The dog poo I had seen before but ubiquitous chewing gum was a new experience.

City centres full of misbehaving drunks. The weather. If you focussed on the negatives you would never come back !
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:37 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I find the gum on pavements puzzling, because I don't see many people actually chewing gum and I've never seen anyone spitting gum onto the pavement.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:36 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Editha
I find the gum on pavements puzzling, because I don't see many people actually chewing gum and I've never seen anyone spitting gum onto the pavement.
I've never seen it either, not once. I'm very glad of that, I trod in enough in Australia. The sun would turn it into something resembling super glue - horrible stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.