Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK - University entry

Returning to UK - University entry

Old Sep 11th 2017, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Janmac58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to UK - University entry

Hi there I am planning to move back to Uk next July after 40 years in Australia. I have been back many times on holidays. My son maybe coming with me to do a masters degree but has never lived in UK. We both have british passports and are Australian citizens. Does anyone know if he will be able to apply for Uni over there without paying international fees? ALso how long will he have to wait to get in? Thanks. Jan
Old Sep 11th 2017, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK - University entry

I think most universities will consider him an international student.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The home and international fees for a Masters degree are usually the same. The difference is that a home student can now take out a student loan from the SLC to cover their tuition whereas an international student will need to pay up front. It's unlikely that your son will be considered a home student if he was born and raised in Australia.

Not sure what you mean about waiting to get in. If he wants to start next September then he should start looking at which university and course he would like and start making applications before Christmas. Providing you both have valid Australian and British passports it's then just a matter of getting on a plane.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janmac58
We both have british passports and are Australian citizens. Does anyone know if he will be able to apply for Uni over there without paying international fees? ALso how long will he have to wait to get in? Thanks. Jan
You son will need to be resident in the UK for at lease three years before the start of the university course in order to qualify for 'home' fees.

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Informatio...tus#layer-6082
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janmac58
Hi there I am planning to move back to Uk next July after 40 years in Australia. I have been back many times on holidays. My son maybe coming with me to do a masters degree but has never lived in UK. We both have british passports and are Australian citizens. Does anyone know if he will be able to apply for Uni over there without paying international fees? ALso how long will he have to wait to get in? Thanks. Jan

Hi

Our Sons were not classed as overseas students even though our youngest was educated until year 11/12 solely in Perth WA. If your son is wanting do to his masters then he should start looking at Universities that off the best course for his Masters, I would advise if he is coming over with you then to help save costs maybe look at Uni's that are near to where you will be living so that he can commute and save on accommodation. UCAS is the service that "sorts out" applications so you will have to apply through them but if you have a good idea on your sons University of choice contact them first and ask for any information on the courses they offer and even ask for the current lecturers contact details so you can communicate with them, we did all of this while living in Australia and we found it a great help with our decision to move back to the UK. Good luck
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi

Our Sons were not classed as overseas students even though our youngest was educated until year 11/12 solely in Perth WA. If your son is wanting do to his masters then he should start looking at Universities that off the best course for his Masters, I would advise if he is coming over with you then to help save costs maybe look at Uni's that are near to where you will be living so that he can commute and save on accommodation. UCAS is the service that "sorts out" applications so you will have to apply through them but if you have a good idea on your sons University of choice contact them first and ask for any information on the courses they offer and even ask for the current lecturers contact details so you can communicate with them, we did all of this while living in Australia and we found it a great help with our decision to move back to the UK. Good luck

Can you share on what grounds they were not classed as international? I'm not criticizing, I just want to know as a parent about to pay through the nose
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Can you share on what grounds they were not classed as international? I'm not criticizing, I just want to know as a parent about to pay through the nose
I think we've been through this before.

It seems that some universities are stricter than others about applying overseas status to incoming students.

I think that if you don't qualify for ordinary residence then you should budget for the higher fees and then be happy if they don't charge you that.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Does UCAS handle applications for graduate degrees ? In my day it was solely for first degrees. Of course I am OLD !

Here on Wiki is the answer to my query !

UCAS Postgraduate – postgraduate admissions scheme
UCAS Postgraduate (also known as UKPASS) is UCAS' postgraduate admissions service. It was introduced with the objective to offer students access to over 20,000 courses at 18 participating universities and colleges in England, Scotland and Wales – both taught and research courses leading to a variety of qualifications – including MA, MSc, MBA and LLM.

Last edited by scot47; Sep 15th 2017 at 4:39 am.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It seems that some universities are stricter than others about applying overseas status to incoming students.
I think that if you don't qualify for ordinary residence then you should budget for the higher fees and then be happy if they don't charge you that.
But that is mostly undergrad.
It is all different for postgrad.

Having said that someone who is not a UK resident might be better served to look at doing a PhD rather than a MSc (or equivalent), there are likely to be better funding options.

And, perhaps I am stating the obvious, but getting a postgrad degree place of any kind is highly competitive, irrespective of whether UK resident or not.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Yes, I understand that.

I was simply looking for additional information and experiences from those who did get home fees. I have budgeted for the higher fees and will certainly be paying those for year one. I am particularly interested in what happens if the entire family repatriates while the student is a student.