Reload this Page >

Returning to uk with UK car

Returning to uk with UK car

Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Expatnl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to uk with UK car

Originally Posted by formula

I don't know what the rules are for driving a UK registered car in another EU country.
That is a completely separate matter, I am more concerned about return of the car which is SORNd rather than return on the car with tax and insurance.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

You can check your car status with DVLA here
https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
I know the status of both cars...
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Only to an MOT station, not from a Newcastle port home to Edinburgh. Although it will depend what DVLA/police say when stopped at the port by the ANPR.

Last time I checked it was worded "direct route" no mention of distance. However, I cannot find the relevant page.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatnl
I know the status of both cars...
What's on that DVLA link I gave, is what the ANPR system will have.

Can you arrange an MOT in Newcastle?

Failing that, perhaps contact DVLA as ask them what to do.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I checked it was worded "direct route" no mention of distance. However, I cannot find the relevant page.
I suspect that they may well accept travelling past one or two MOT places, but to Edinburgh, that may well be a different matter.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

What's on that DVLA link I gave, is what the ANPR system will have.

Can you arrange an MOT in Newcastle?
I know what the ANPR will show. I am trying to see if anyone knows legality of being ok to drive to an MOT and over what distance.

I could arrange MOT in Newcastle, yes, but unless the law has changed I'm sure distance is not mentioned. MOT is no guarantee of road worthiness.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I suspect that they may well accept travelling past one or two MOT places, but to Edinburgh, that may well be a different matter.
Maybe, maybe not.

As I said, I can cope with an MOT fine. SORN offence could land me in a lot of shit.

Hopefully someone official can clarify and I will update accordingly.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links however i will not need a tax disk for the car with no tax as they are no longer giving those out.
Only from 1 October 2014. Those who need car tax in September 2014, receive a disc and have to display that until 1 October 2104. They don't do part months, or at least, they didn't use to.

The cameras pick it all up now anyway, but 1 October is the official start date of no disc.

Last edited by formula; Sep 28th 2014 at 4:40 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Only from 1 October 2014. Those who need car tax in September 2014, receive a disc have to display that until 1 October 2104.

I am not moving till December, hence my comment.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe, maybe not.

As I said, I can cope with an MOT fine. SORN offence could land me in a lot of shit.

Hopefully someone official can clarify and I will update accordingly.
It will be interesting to know what they say, thanks.

Just in case you decide to have it MOTed in Newcastle
Find your nearest MOT test centres and stations.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Cheers, there are four stations within half a mile so it seems that would be my best bet
Old Sep 28th 2014, 9:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, there are four stations within half a mile so it seems that would be my best bet
What you really need to find out as well is how to get the car off SORN and do that before coming to the UK if possible.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
What you really need to find out as well is how to get the car off SORN and do that before coming to the UK if possible.
I do not think that it is possible. To get the car off SORN it must be tax'd, to get tax you need an MOT.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I do not think that it is possible. To get the car off SORN it must be tax'd, to get tax you need an MOT.

From the link I put on post 13, it seems your car's SORN is invalid anyway???

Your vehicle must be in and remain in Great Britain for your SORN to be valid.

I'm guessing you could book your MOT in Newcastle and show proof of that at the port if stopped. Get the MOT done and then apply online for car tax? I just renewed one of mine for a 1 October start (no disc) and the system wouldn't let me proceed until I agreed to let them check the car's MOT status.

It's all just a guess though. Can you email DVLA and ask them what you have to do? Then you have their instructions it in writing. I just found this email address for them
https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...ehicle_10.html
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

From the link I put on post 13, it seems your car's SORN is invalid anyway???

Your vehicle must be in and remain in Great Britain for your SORN to be valid.

I'm guessing you could book your MOT in Newcastle and show proof of that at the port if stopped. Get the MOT done and then apply online for car tax? I just renewed one of mine for a 1 October start (no disc) and the system wouldn't let me proceed until I agreed to let them check the car's MOT status.

It's all just a guess though. Can you email DVLA and ask them what you have to do? Then you have their instructions it in writing. I just found this email address for them
https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...ehicle_10.html
Thank you

I am in the late states of arranging it to be trailers to an MOT station via Shiply. It seems like the safest option.

I will try dvla first but I even read a sentence today on their site saying I cannot enter the uk on a SORN car...