Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to uk with UK car

Returning to uk with UK car

Old Sep 28th 2014, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Expatnl is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Returning to uk with UK car

Hi all and apologies my first post is a question....

I have ended up with two cars in the Netherlands, one is taxed, insured and no mot

One is not being used and is SORNd with no mot

My understanding is that I can take them on the ferry home (Amsterdam to Newcastle) and drive home (Edinburgh) if I am booked into an MOT for both. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I figure I will probably get stopped via ANPR activation with both cars....

Thanks
Mike
Old Sep 28th 2014, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to uk with UK car

Originally Posted by Expatnl

I have ended up with two cars in the Netherlands, one is taxed, insured and no mot

My understanding is that I can take them on the ferry home (Amsterdam to Newcastle) and drive home (Edinburgh) if I am booked into an MOT for both. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I figure I will probably get stopped via ANPR activation with both cars....

Thanks
Mike
I don't know how you will get around this as you can't drive/park a SORNed declared car on UK roads. You can't get a tax disc unless you have a valid MOT.

They have ANPR cameras at the ports and Eurostar exits, to catch the EUs using their non UK registered cars in the UK for over their time limit, so you are going to get caught there as your car is SORNed. The system is so good that the Polish police came over to see how our APNR system works as they want it too.

There are so many ANPR cameras now at ports, on roads, in police cars and DVLA vans (who have clamps) and DVLA tow trucks, that from 1 October 2014 we no longer need to display tax discs.

The other problem might be your insurance if you have an accident in a UK registered car with no MOT.

You might need to contact the relevant government authorities to ask the best way to proceed otherwise you won't make it 100 metres out of the port.

Last edited by formula; Sep 28th 2014 at 4:04 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 3:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I don't know how you will get around this as you can't drive/park a SORNed declared car on UK roads. You can't get a tax disc unless you have a valid MOT.

They have ANPR cameras at the ferries, to catch the EUs using their non UK registered cars in the UK for over the time limit so you are going to get caught there. The system is so good that the Polish police came over to see how our APNR system works as they want it too.

As well as the ANPR cameras on the roads, the police cars have them too and if they catch you, you might not get the car back to Edinburgh. DVLA are also driving around (or firms they contract out to) and slapping on a wheel clamp as soon as a car stops.

There are so many ANPR cameras now, that from 1 October we no longer need tax dics from 1 October 2014.

The other problem might be your insurance if you have an accident, with no MOT.

You might need to contact the relevant government authorities to ask the best way to proceed.
I have to agree with those comments, the only way you MIGHT get away with somethings is to book the car in for an MOT at the nearest garage to the ferry in Newcastle, I believe you would be allowed to do that, but Edinburgh, no way. As formula has said there has been a huge increase in the ANPR cameras recently because of the changing to no tax disc.

Last edited by mikelincs; Sep 28th 2014 at 4:06 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

They have ANPR cameras at the ports and Eurostar exits, to catch the EUs using their non UK registered cars in the UK for over their time limit, so you are going to get caught there as your car is SORNed. The system is so good that the Polish police came over to see how our APNR system works as they want it too.

There are so many ANPR cameras now at ports, on roads, in police cars and DVLA vans (who have clamps) and DVLA tow trucks, that from 1 October 2014 we no longer need tax dics.

The other problem might be your insurance if you have an accident, with no MOT.

You might need to contact the relevant government authorities to ask the best way to proceed otherwise you won't make it far from the port.
I am taking the ferry into Newcastle. No idea why the chap mentioned Dover.

I was under the impression you could drive a SORNd car to a MOT.

The car with no MOT doesn't really worry me as no MOT only carries a fine.

Does anyone know who the best people to contact are? The police I assume or VOSA?
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know who the best people to contact are? The police I assume or VOSA?
Sorry, hadn't seen the bit about Newcastle.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:07 pm
Concierge

DVLA might be a good place to start..
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

The other problem might be your insurance if you have an accident in a UK registered car with no MOT.

You might need to contact the relevant government authorities to ask the best way to proceed otherwise you won't make it 100 metres out of the port.
Quite certain that is a common misconception. How do you think people drive SORNd cars to MOT?
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
DVLA might be a good place to start..
I think I tried them before and they sent me to VOSA and VOSA sent me to dvla. The police must know!
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Quite certain that is a common misconception. How do you think people drive SORNd cars to MOT?
You can insure a SORN'd car..
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You can insure a SORN'd car..
Both my cars have insurance sorry that wasn't clear in first post.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that is not correct and you can't drive them home to Edinburgh from Newcastle.

You can only drive an untaxed vehicle on a public road if you’re driving it to or from a licensed station for a pre-arranged MOT, vehicle identity check, or weight or emissions test.

and

Your vehicle must be in and remain in Great Britain for your SORN to be valid.

The port ANPR will show that your car has been abroad.

and
You’ll need to get a tax disc if you want to use the vehicle again on the road.

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

Last edited by formula; Sep 28th 2014 at 4:20 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

It seems that is not correct and you can't drive them home to Edinburgh from Newcastle.

You can only drive an untaxed vehicle on a public road if you’re driving it to or from a licensed station for a pre-arranged MOT, vehicle identity check, or weight or emissions test.

and

and

Thanks for the links however i will not need a tax disk for the car with no tax as they are no longer giving those out.

For all intensive purposes, I will be driving the car to the pre arranged MOT once my car arrives in the uk. I am not sure how concerned they will be regarding the validity of my SORN status.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

and

The port ANPR will show that your car has been abroad.

and

For one of them I think I can, as one of the cars has road tax.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Only to an MOT station, not from a Newcastle port home to Edinburgh. Although it will depend what DVLA/police say when stopped at the port by the ANPR.

I don't know what the rules are for driving a UK registered car in another EU country.

Last edited by formula; Sep 28th 2014 at 4:26 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can check your car status with DVLA here
https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.