Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK... Or not?

Returning to the UK... Or not?

Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

OkUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK... Or not?

Hey everyone,

In two years I'll have to make the choice to go to the UK or not, for university.

Now, this is where it gets complicated. The UK is better than where I currently live (a racist, xenophobic country which is horrible to live in), but I feel from what I've seen the UK is going sour quite quickly as well. Does anyone have any reccomendations as to where I can live outside of the UK?

I'm perfectly fluent in English, obviously, and have British blood. I have a heavy British accent, so I can't really "fit in" in any English speaking countries other than the UK.

I'm open to living anywhere, except where I live now (or Yemen, Russia, stuff like that obviously)
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:33 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK... Or not?

It would be helpful if you would indicate where you live now. That would enable us to gauge the exact level of racism and xenophobia you find unacceptable, given that you apparently think it is impossible to fit in anywhere, unless you not only share the language but also the accent of the indigenes.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't say that. But I found it annoying on my trips to the US to have people always react to my accent. I think it'd be irritating to hear that for about sixty years.

I live in France, currently. I don't find not sharing the language of the indigenes a problem.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Every country in Europe currently has a heightened level of xenophobia. I'd agree with you that France is probably worse than the UK in that respect (even before yesterday). How about Sweden or Germany?
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
Every country in Europe currently has a heightened level of xenophobia. I'd agree with you that France is probably worse than the UK in that respect (even before yesterday). How about Sweden or Germany?
Sweden is definitely a possibility, as I am half-swedish and my attempts to learn the language (which I had to give up, unfortunately) were very successful.

Germany and Sweden both share a problem, though, the rise of nationalism. That said, looking past that, they are solid options I'm considering.

Places I really like the look and sound of are the Czech Republic, Canada and Austria. They look beautiful and quite nice, but these are gut feelings and I haven't done much research.

I see you used to live in Canada, was that a positive experience?
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

My experience of Canada was not positive, but since I'm old enough to be your grandparent, my personal experience is not necessarily relevant.

But, if you are attracted to Canada because of its reputation for racial tolerance, think again. In Alberta, where I was living, the police were able to shoot dead a drunken 17 year old who was only armed with a knife, and who represented no threat to them or anybody else, without any public outrage, or consequences for the officers. All because the young man was Metis (mixed race aboriginal). That is just one example of racism that is so much part of the culture in Canada, that Canadians don't even notice it.

Apart from that, the climate is horrible, the economy is dependent on dirty oil, and you will spend the next 60 years being told that they love your accent.

I also know Austria quite well. As a result of being allowed to cast itself as victim at the end of WW2, Austria has never had to face its past in the same way as Germany. I doubt whether you will find it less racist and xenophobic. But Vienna is a lovely city to live in, especially if you like cake.

Czech Republic less racist and nationalist than Germany? Tell that to a member of its Roma community or a Syrian refugee.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like I can't escape racism, huh? (Not towards me, but towards others)
Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Even before recent events you'll find the UK a far more open and tolerant place than France. I've always enjoyed Sweden hugely when visiting friends but I cannot comment on whether how you'd be treated as a visible ethnic minority. However being able to speak Swedish and holding a Swedish passport should be a huge boon in this respect.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OkUK
Have you thought of Ireland as a possible new home?
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

Czech Republic less racist and nationalist than Germany? Tell that to a member of its Roma community or a Syrian refugee.
Or a Slovak....
Old Nov 17th 2015, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Have you thought of Ireland as a possible new home?
Can only agree and Galway would certainly be an option.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 1:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say that. But I found it annoying on my trips to the US to have people always react to my accent. I think it'd be irritating to hear that for about sixty years. ....
Maybe your accent will change or mellow over time. A British accent, depending on what regional variant you might have, wouldn't necessarily stand out as much in the greater Boston /New England area.

My accent doesn't appear to have changed since I was aged about 8 when I left Sheffield, despite lengthy periods in Glawster and Landan. After 14 years in the US I still get comments on my accent several times a month, sometimes several times a day.

If I had known how easy it is to strike up a conversation with women when you have a British accent, (even one such as mine which is considered unattractive everywhere I lived in the UK between the age of eight and when I emigrated ) I would have spent lot of time in the US long before I got married.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You can change the way you speak. It is not even necessary to take elocution lessons. We all have an accent. You can change it to one that is more "socially acceptable" (ie more like Prince Charles and less like Alf Garnett)
Old Nov 17th 2015, 9:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have considered combating racism rather than running from it? Your generation is the one best placed to defuse the shit going on right now.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 8:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm perfectly fluent in English, obviously, and have British blood. I have a heavy British accent, so I can't really "fit in" in any English speaking countries other than the UK.
This sentence of yours astonished me. Why on earth do you feel that you have to have the same accent as an English speaking country's nationals in order to 'fit in' there?? It's just such a cockeyed thing to think, for several reasons!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.