Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK - don't

Returning to the UK - don't

Old May 12th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of
Default Re: Returning to the UK - don't

Wow.

I stumbled over this post as I'm re-locating (to Portugal, please don't comment) because of family reasons. I was interested to read the OP's opinion as I'm now at the 'omg am I doing the right thing stage' as it's getting close to D-Day.

I cannot believe how harsh people are on here? OK the title is a bit strong, what's right for one isn't right for all, but it's interesting to read their findings. It is someone's opinion, someone's findings, they experienced it so it's not wrong! They wouldn't lie about it? I think some people on here think that it's a personal attack against all people who love the UK but I'm sure it wasn't.

With regard to NHS, yes most things get dealt with fine. However, my Nan lived in Hampshire and died of Leukaemia last year. She was left with no care, someone popping in for 10 mins every other day...occasionally with some more nappies and bed sheets but my Mum was left to care for her (Mum has arthritis and is registered disabled) until she died. I couldn't help as I was about to give birth and it was really shocking. When someone dies of something like this they don't just slip away in their sleep. It's slow, painful, bodily fluids coming from everywhere it's shocking. And so much more shocking that no-one helped. Whether the care is better or worse anywhere else who knows, I think in every country it depends on where you live, but there is definitely a lack of support for the elderly in the UK (WHERE I LIVE). Anyone who saw the programme recently on TV about care companies also knows this.

As for the OP I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much cr*p on here, please don't take it personally. The PT board is lovely, we never have any fights! You'd be very welcome on there.

G
Old May 12th 2009, 10:23 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. This is a nice web site and forum www.picturesofengland.com. There are other forums too which represent a kinder majority than you may find on here.

I think the NHS generally do a very good job and we all need to remember that it is mostly a free health service, the last of it's kind. I mentioned Lily Allen earlier, a UK singer with attitude. I love her because she shoves the PC mentality and blasts the public with her rebellious spirit.
I live a healthy life, I am careful about my health but just to be sure, I also pay into a private healthcare fund so not only am I looking after myself, I am paying insurance too.
I am fed up of hearing stories about our vulnerable elderly, young people and others being given a poorer lack of care because some greedy, over indulgent, smoking, health ignorant benefit receiving bastard can't be arsed to contribute.
The health service will fall over all the time we have people growing up in a generation of believing they are entitled to everything for nothing.
If anyone doesn't like me for saying this, tough!
Old May 12th 2009, 10:27 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
I think the NHS generally do a very good job and we all need to remember that it is mostly a free health service, the last of it's kind.
Its hardly the last of its kind, most of europe has a similiar system.

Last edited by Jules Europe; May 12th 2009 at 10:29 am.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:38 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Wow.

I stumbled over this post as I'm re-locating (to Portugal, please don't comment) because of family reasons. I was interested to read the OP's opinion as I'm now at the 'omg am I doing the right thing stage' as it's getting close to D-Day.

I cannot believe how harsh people are on here? OK the title is a bit strong, what's right for one isn't right for all, but it's interesting to read their findings. It is someone's opinion, someone's findings, they experienced it so it's not wrong! They wouldn't lie about it? I think some people on here think that it's a personal attack against all people who love the UK but I'm sure it wasn't.

With regard to NHS, yes most things get dealt with fine. However, my Nan lived in Hampshire and died of Leukaemia last year. She was left with no care, someone popping in for 10 mins every other day...occasionally with some more nappies and bed sheets but my Mum was left to care for her (Mum has arthritis and is registered disabled) until she died. I couldn't help as I was about to give birth and it was really shocking. When someone dies of something like this they don't just slip away in their sleep. It's slow, painful, bodily fluids coming from everywhere it's shocking. And so much more shocking that no-one helped. Whether the care is better or worse anywhere else who knows, I think in every country it depends on where you live, but there is definitely a lack of support for the elderly in the UK (WHERE I LIVE). Anyone who saw the programme recently on TV about care companies also knows this.

As for the OP I'm sorry you've had to deal with so much cr*p on here, please don't take it personally. The PT board is lovely, we never have any fights! You'd be very welcome on there.

G

You are indeed correct when you stated " what's right for one isn't right for all"
And that is precisely why she got the reaction she did. Of course we all know the UK is not perfect and there are problems and not everything is right all the time, but to wade into a forum and make your first post telling everyone NOT to go home purely based on HER experience, HER location, and HER lifestyle choices is not only pompus and arrogant, but down right ridiculous.

When i made my post i was trying to administer the opposing experience to hers just to show how stupid she was being.
Not sure what the PT board is and dont really care, but it must be extremely boring if people never disagree... do you spend all day arselicking or something?

BTW.. i strongly suspect the OP is not what she seems... *sigh* another one i guess
Old May 12th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You are indeed correct when you stated " what's right for one isn't right for all"
And that is precisely why she got the reaction she did. Of course we all know the UK is not perfect and there are problems and not everything is right all the time, but to wade into a forum and make your first post telling everyone NOT to go home purely based on HER experience, HER location, and HER lifestyle choices is not only pompus and arrogant, but down right ridiculous.

When i made my post i was trying to administer the opposing experience to hers just to show how stupid she was being.
Not sure what the PT board is and dont really care, but it must be extremely boring if people never disagree... do you spend all day arselicking or something?

BTW.. i strongly suspect the OP is not what she seems... *sigh* another one i guess
I feel as a newcomer the OP has been treated abominably. No allowance for the fact they may have never experienced a forum before and how you have to be ridiculously careful to avoid p*ssing the resident posters off.

I doubt anyone on the PT board would describe themselves as arselickers, we have many strongly opinionated people on there but I'd say the majority of the PT board are happy with their lives and all that goes on is advice and having a laugh. Of course people disagree but it's done in a civil way without attacking each other. Sorry to disappoint.
Old May 12th 2009, 11:06 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

The OP makes a valid point, however she phrases it in whatever tone. The UK government have squandered the NHS by giving away free treatment to just about everyone to the point where, like the US healthcare provider, it's almost bankrupt. There's no money left.
This means that the last generation of middle class retirees are now on the sacrificial alter of receiving bugger all despite having worked and paid their NI contributions and their UK taxes all of their working lives.
This latest global economy crisis isn't just about stocks and shares going downhill. It's a huge black hole where money has just disappeared leaving the most deserving people the most vulnerable. This group appears to be those in their 60's upwards.
If you are below this age group, you will need to plan to work till you're 80 because if the current generation are being denied all the supposed services that they were supposed to receive in their well earned retirement, imagine what's going to be left in the kitty for you?
We have got a world class bank of doctors, nurses, medical researchers and healthcare professionals almost in redundancy because of crass government stupidity in giving taxpayers healthcare away to the point where the UK taxpayer is now suffering. Worse still, there is not enough money to fund healthcare to the most deserving people, our elderly. My aunt froze to death in her lounge because there was no healthcare available for her at the time. She died of hypothermia in modern day Britain.
Everyone who complains brings to light the current problem so the OP's post might be worth listening to even though it may not be agreed with.
Old May 12th 2009, 11:10 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I feel as a newcomer the OP has been treated abominably. No allowance for the fact they may have never experienced a forum before and how you have to be ridiculously careful to avoid p*ssing the resident posters off.

I doubt anyone on the PT board would describe themselves as arselickers, we have many strongly opinionated people on there but I'd say the majority of the PT board are happy with their lives and all that goes on is advice and having a laugh. Of course people disagree but it's done in a civil way without attacking each other. Sorry to disappoint.
Hey, no need to appologise, I am that happy with life right now i'd find it hard to be disappointed with anything, especially an internet forum

I am presuming you are new here too? If you had spent some time on this forum you would have some insight as to why people in this section get exptremely pissed off with these sorts of posts as we also have a bunch of morons in the Australian barbie section who, over several years have come in here to wind up those not happy where they are, pour scorn on them and try to discredit everything they say. After a while it becomes extremely tiresome. In fact one of these said morons has already piped up again form nowhere spouting antagonistic comments as per usual.
So please excuse us if we sometimes bite back.

You failed to respond to the earlier section of my reply to you.
Old May 12th 2009, 11:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I feel as a newcomer the OP has been treated abominably.
Not at all...I think the comments have been pretty restrained.

Most trolls get shorter shrift than that.

G
Old May 12th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hey, no need to appologise, I am that happy with life right now i'd find it hard to be disappointed with anything, especially an internet forum

I am presuming you are new here too? If you had spent some time on this forum you would have some insight as to why people in this section get exptremely pissed off with these sorts of posts as we also have a bunch of morons in the Australian barbie section who, over several years have come in here to wind up those not happy where they are, pour scorn on them and try to discredit everything they say. After a while it becomes extremely tiresome. In fact one of these said morons has already piped up again form nowhere spouting antagonistic comments as per usual.
So please excuse us if we sometimes bite back.

You failed to respond to the earlier section of my reply to you.
New to this forum but not new to BE or other forums. You think the OP knew the history with the Aussies bbq section? If they were new as they said they were, they would not know either - so maybe worth being a little more gentle? Not everyone is a troll!

I don't think they were wrong in posting what they did. The forum is not called 'Moving back to the UK - exclusively for those who are 'pro' moving' it's supposed to be a discussion forum to debate all sides, the reasons for and reasons against. The OP posted her experiences and I'm sorry if you don't like it because it's not what you think. Yes, they should have re-worded the title maybe (in hindsight) but the rest of the post is simply of the comparisons they have found with their life abroad.

I came on here to see why people are moving back, I'm sure there must be very valid reasons so if maybe people had replied with their experiences to give a balanced view of things it would have been helpful. Has anyone that replied moved back yet? I'd like to know what went wrong and why the UK is better.

G
Old May 12th 2009, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricket1
The OP makes a valid point, however she phrases it in whatever tone. The UK government have squandered the NHS by giving away free treatment to just about everyone to the point where, like the US healthcare provider, it's almost bankrupt. There's no money left.
This means that the last generation of middle class retirees are now on the sacrificial alter of receiving bugger all despite having worked and paid their NI contributions and their UK taxes all of their working lives.
This latest global economy crisis isn't just about stocks and shares going downhill. It's a huge black hole where money has just disappeared leaving the most deserving people the most vulnerable. This group appears to be those in their 60's upwards.
If you are below this age group, you will need to plan to work till you're 80 because if the current generation are being denied all the supposed services that they were supposed to receive in their well earned retirement, imagine what's going to be left in the kitty for you?
We have got a world class bank of doctors, nurses, medical researchers and healthcare professionals almost in redundancy because of crass government stupidity in giving taxpayers healthcare away to the point where the UK taxpayer is now suffering. Worse still, there is not enough money to fund healthcare to the most deserving people, our elderly. My aunt froze to death in her lounge because there was no healthcare available for her at the time. She died of hypothermia in modern day Britain.
Everyone who complains brings to light the current problem so the OP's post might be worth listening to even though it may not be agreed with.
A valid point in some cases and invalid in others.

You highlight the faults of the NHS but there are hundreds of good cases but people focus on the bad. I have stated before I received 1st class care and treatment on the NHS at £30 000 per 5 week course and that was five years ago. My Nan who is in her eighties is in and out of hospital quite often and has been for the last 3 years and gets great care all on the NHS, she is never on a trolley waiting and her condition is not life threatening, again it depends where you live.
The U.K and the NHS are not perfect but where is. People attack the U.K politicians but it is the same in every country regarding mismanagement of funds. I fully expect to work until I die but thats tough and I have worked like a twat all my life, I am not bitter, life is not fair. The money is there for the NHS it is just that the U.K would rather spend millions per day on a war.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Its hardly the last of its kind, most of europe has a similiar system.
and it's certainly not free...it's paid for by British taxpayers.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:50 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and it's certainly not free...it's paid for by British taxpayers.
and equally paid for by european taxpayers in their corresponding countries as well.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

kathyd has a brilliant futurekathyd has a brilliant futurekathyd has a brilliant futurekathyd has a brilliant futurekathyd has a brilliant futurekathyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gaeller
I have lived in several countries mainly because I could always find better paid work where my contributions were welcomed.

My last domicile was Portugal when my husband retired. We went to an area where there were no ex-pats intending to find out how other people lived and enjoy the culture. We grew our own organic food and enjoyed outdoor life.

Because we both had old parents we returned to help care for them. It was a big wrench leaving but we looked forward to more theatre, music concerts and being able to take up new hobbies. What a shock. The cost of living is horrendous. Unless you can afford to go a trendy restaurant run by a celebrity chef, the food is junk. Added to which the 'big brother' atmosphere is oppressive. The innovative theatre which we loved is now non-existent, and the frequent nights at the opera have turned into a once a year event, replacing a holiday!

Many people find that living abroad involves learning a new language and sad to say a lot of Brits can't. That is insurmountable. If you want a British lifestyle and don't want to join in what the locals have to offer by all means come back. But beware, depending on how long you have been away, things have'nt half changed in the last ten years.
Hi all of you thinking of returning .
I lived in S.Africa for 22 years .I have been back in the Uk for 8 years and we are hopefully going to be moving overseas again .
I came back to the UK...N.Ireland because the crime in S.Africa was spirallying out of controll .
It became a very unpleasant place to live .
I am originally from N.Ireland and so it was an easy move to come back.In reality It was like moving to a new country. I have to admit I found myself having difficulty identifying with the mindset and the way of life.
What I have found for what its worth is this .
When my children were young ..below 11 then it was fine and we enjoyed the fact that we had more security and more freedom .As they have become teenagers I see various traits that I am not altogether happy with. I lecture in a college and the age group I teach is 16+.
There is a huge celebrity culture here ,very much like the USA. kids aspire to become famous in singing and acting and many of them dress like adults from an early age . The dringing culture is horrendous and just 2 months ago I lost a girl from my Health studies class because of a drinking problem .
She was alcoholic at age 17. Teenage pregancies are no longer uncommon in fact when you lisen to them talk its taken as normal and if the father is non existant then thats taken as normal too.
There is a strong lack of respect towards adults .I am not saying they are all like that but a large majority of them are and it comes from the kitted gloves they are treated with as they make thier way through school. Everything is projected in the interests of health and safety and human rights .Remember when we were growing up in the Uk of old we would play outside and climb trees and fall and hurt ourselves well now adays just make sure that tree is not in your garden and its someone esles child.

I have often felt this last year or so that its a pity my children are growing up so quickly with priorities that entail clothes,going out and makeup.

I lecture in health and social care and I see and talk about the NHS on a daily basis . lets just say that I agree with what has been said and by western standards it is a very chaotic and poorely run system.
The culture of blame is huge...if I do not get a distinction in my course then its not my fault its someone esles .This is something I see all the time . The inability to take responsibity for the final outsome.
There is no committment or staying power. if it does not go my way then it is someone esles fault.

Sorry for sounding negative to those thinking of coming back. I do not look at going overseas again with Rose tinted glasses but I just need my children to grow up in a differant culture where they can see the world from a differant perspective
Old May 12th 2009, 2:09 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by kathyd
The dringing culture is horrendous and just 2 months ago I lost a girl from my Health studies class because of a drinking problem .
She was alcoholic at age 17. Teenage pregancies are no longer uncommon in fact when you lisen to them talk its taken as normal and if the father is non existant then thats taken as normal too.
This may well be the case in the UK and it is something I noticed when I was there but it seems after reading the pages of this forum for the last several months, the same problems also occur in Australia, NZ, Canada and USA according to many of the posters here. So I don`t think any of this is unique to the UK.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:30 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's looking increasingly likely that many in their 40s and 50s will never work again. When there are jobs going spare, employers seem to go out of their way to either employ import workers, or outsource the work to the Far East. Ever seen a middle aged Brit working in Pret a Manger or Starbucks? Of course this is a problem all of Europe will have to face, as more and more jobs are outsourced to India or China. I've yet to hear a politician of any persuasion even begin to address this issue. Until they do, I'm starting to believe protectionism will be the only answer - yes it may mean the cost of a new television will double and that we no longer import asparagus in December, but if it means people have jobs (and hope) this may be worth the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.