Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK after 30 yrs..advice on getting elderly parents back.

Returning to UK after 30 yrs..advice on getting elderly parents back.

Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK after 30 yrs..advice on getting elderly parents back.

You can ask for a social services assessment for your parent's needs. This costs nothing and is worth doing even if your parent's income and capital are above the limits to get help with paying for care from the local authority social services department.

I recently got an assessment for my mother. The social worker gave us some valuable advice. At her suggestion, a few small changes in mum's care have resulted in a big improvement in her health.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:57 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK after 30 yrs..advice on getting elderly parents back.

Originally Posted by formula
Talking of face to face, I've just remembered that the DWP do a thing now where they will come out to the home of UK pensioners and make sure they are getting all the help they can have. Don't forget to use them too for your parents.
Formula, can you provide more information about this service, preferably a link to the relevant information on the DWP website?

I'm not aware of this service, and I can't find any information about it on the DWP site.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Talking of face to face, I've just remembered that the DWP do a thing now where they will come out to the home of UK pensioners and make sure they are getting all the help they can have. Don't forget to use them too for your parents.
That could be helpful for my MIL and her brother. How does one arrange this ?
We could schedule for when Mr BEVS is next back for a visit and to give respite care.

I know what you mean about paperwork and the like Mojoman. Took absolutely months to sort our pension funds out.

We do seem to be rather stuck on UK benefits for pensioners. The OPs parents are not yet pensioners. Crikey his Dad is just a couple of years older than me & I am a bouncy spring chicken still. Mind you I do empathise with Mojoman. It is such a concern when you see your parents failing. As I wrote my MIL has had the dreaded disease for a good 2 decades. My own Mum was disabled with Rheumatoid from her mid forties. It is very hard and sad to deal with.

I am sure that the OP wold not think to leave his parents in SA unless he honestly felt that they would be as safe over that period as they are now , with him being on the same piece of turf. I also feel it admirable that he is thinking of his parents like this. It is a huge undertaking.

I believe you wrote that your Dad has a pension from the UK Mine Workers Union Mojoman. That is a very close knit. I will not pry, however if your Dad worked as a miner for a fair old while , you may do well to contact the Union itself in the first instance and tell them of the family circumstances. There are a number of welfare and convalescent homes (click link) that may be able to help your parents short term, if he is eligible. Have a conversation.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Formula, can you provide more information about this service, preferably a link to the relevant information on the DWP website?

I'm not aware of this service, and I can't find any information about it on the DWP site.
don't think the DWP do it. It's the local Social Services dept who will come and do an assessment. We did it for FIL once his dementia set in. Even though we knew he did not qualify for help due to his savings etc, they were very helpful in assessing his current needs etc and arranged various other help such as fitting hand holds on bath/toilet/door , plus a keybox for his carer , adjusted his carers hours, etc. This was nottingham City social Services, so for kirby in Ashfield - I was born in Hucknall, just 3 miles down the road - it will be Nottinghamshire County. County Hall is in West Bridgford, nottingham and contact numbers are available through the County website.

Social Services, Caring and Support in Nottinghamshire - Nottinghamshire County Council

Agree entirely with others - don't leave the parents behind!
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ah! This is what happened for MIL.Social services did an assessment of need.

The OP hasn't said his Mum is infirmed at all. She would only be around my age . This may have been agreed between themselves. They are not living together now. The parents live in a small village. The OP lives in a house which is to be sold.

I am sure if his Mum has strongly suggested she wishes them all to move together, then they would be working together towards that. However , the OP has stated the decision is that he goes ahead of them to test the water. He is not leaving them behind . They will be working with what they have to make this happen.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:16 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi and welcome to BE mojoman.

Here in NZ we have retirement villages where small bungalows can be bought. It gives the unaffected spouse the chance to live a life whilst there is support for the husband/wife with an attached care facility. No idea if such places exist in the UK.
That kind of facility is uncommon in the UK, and tends to be expensive: i.e. not supported by local authority funding.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

No idea where it is on their site. I read about it a few years ago on a forum and it struck me how much better this was for pensioners now, especially if they have never claimed before and were proud.

Originally Posted by BEVS
That could be helpful for my MIL and her brother. How does one arrange this ?
I told some very elderly neighbours about this a few weeks ago and they phoned their local DWP and ask for a home visit from a DWP officer for a benefits check. They still needed to provide all the evidience of their financial status of course, but in the comfort of their own home with tea and cake.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 7:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

No idea where it is on their site. I read about it a few years ago on a forum and it struck me how much better this was for pensioners now, especially if they have never claimed before and were proud.

I told some very elderly neighbours about this a few weeks ago and they phoned their local DWP and ask for a home visit from a DWP officer for a benefits check. They still needed to provide all the evidience of their financial status of course, but in the comfort of their own home with tea and cake.
The DWP doesn't actually have local offices. Do you mean the local jobcentre? Why would they send someone out to someone who is retired?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

The DWP doesn't actually have local offices. Do you mean the local jobcentre? Why would they send someone out to someone who is retired?
It's Social Services that will come out & do an in-home assessment.

(Pretty sure this fact has already been established on the thread, so I'm likely beating a dead horse ).