Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK after 30 yrs..advice on getting elderly parents back.

Returning to UK after 30 yrs..advice on getting elderly parents back.

Old Jul 11th 2015, 4:46 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK after 30 yrs..advice on getting elderly parents back.

Originally Posted by Editha
I was thinking of benefits, but also support in the wider sense. My understanding is that NHS and social services support for people with Alzheimer's and their families varies from one part of the country to another.

The Alzheimer's Society may be able to advise on where in the country most support will be available. I've dealt with several cases of Alzheimer's in my own family and know from experience that the availability of care homes with Alzheimer's nurses, for example, can be crucial.

on that point, I found the following

Benefits - Alzheimer's Society

Benefits rates and income/savings thresholds - Alzheimer's Society
Old Jul 12th 2015, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK after 30 yrs..advice on getting elderly parents back.

Originally Posted by not2old
Northern Ireland is still on the old rules of 26 weeks of the last 52 weeks

Attendance Allowance - your circumstances | nidirect

Living in Northern Ireland

"To get Attendance Allowance you must generally:

-be ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland
-be present in Northern Ireland
-have been in Northern Ireland, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey for at least 26 weeks out of the last 52 weeks (this does not apply for people paid under the special rules)
not be subject to immigration control"
They want to bring in the changes but SF are stopping them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-31798766
Which means that NI will have to make a 600 million pound cut at last count (and still counting) to their spending in other areas to pay for that part of their welfare bill that the rest of the UK will no longer fund.

If their spending cuts won't already be bad enough, the much needed welfare cuts that we have been told about for the last 3/4 years and that were in the Tory election manifesto that they promised if they were elected, were announced in the budget last week.

No surprise that NI have said that because the NI parties can't agree on the devolved powers they already have, they don't want the extra powers on offer to NI that England and Wales will take to run their own countries.

Last edited by formula; Jul 12th 2015 at 11:53 am.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
income/savings thresholds - Alzheimer's Society[/url]
You really need to be looking at the immigration rules that also affect British citizens who have been residing abroad i.e. no claiming for 2 years when they return. And the new welfare changes that were announced in the budget last week as well as existing rules i.e. someone of pension age cannot claim PIP.

When the welfare changes in last weeks budget are implemeted, as well as those changes going through under the Welfare Reforms, it will also affect those already claiming in many cases depsite what the rules say now.

Last edited by formula; Jul 12th 2015 at 12:28 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:00 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The budget made no changes to PIP, Attendance Allowance, or Carer's Allowance.

The two year rule only applies to benefits, not NHS continuing care or social services support.

The OP may find this factsheet from Age UK useful.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

The budget made no changes to PIP, Attendance Allowance, or Carer's Allowance.
From just the benefits part (and not the welfare reform part which does affect these claimants) the budget has made a change to those claiming these benefits if they also rely on other benefits too or the disabilty part of other benefits that gave extra money.

The new lower household welfare cap in the budget also applies to these claimants too as they aren't given an exemption from that, just that their DLA/PIP benefit money only isn't used in the calculations for their benefits household cap.

As DLA/PIP is an in work benefit, I haven't seen any exemption for these in this most recent budget to prevent them from the rises in the social housing rent if their household income is over 30k (40k inside London). Unless I missed it? Which I could have done.

I haven't seen any exemption for these claimants for any of the SMI (Support for Mortgage Interest) benefit changes either; nor for the July interest rate reduction that SMI pays. Again, I could have missed them.

As the governmnet have already talked about making more benefits means tested and named DLA as one of these benefits, that can't be ruled out in future either.

Last edited by formula; Jul 12th 2015 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 2:16 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It is virtually impossible to reach the welfare cap unless you have dependent children, which is unlikely to apply to a couple in their sixties.

Nor has there been any suggestion that they will be applying for social housing. Or that they will be applying for a mortgage in their sixties.

It is confusing for people asking for help from this forum to give them advice, which though accurate, doesn't actually apply to people in their circumstances.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

It is confusing for people asking for help from this forum to give them advice, which though accurate, doesn't actually apply to people in their circumstances.
The OP is leaving his parents in a dangerous place for a while, but they are British citizens. He may not know what help is available for his parents and that they could return to the UK with him. You can't expect people to ask the right questions if they don't know what questions to ask. The advice does apply to his parents circumstances.

Some people also like all the information so that they can make an informed decision.

I've checked about the welfare cap and it seems the UK now has two welfare caps. The household welfare cap and the cap on the UK's annual welfare bill that starts this tax year which will call for some tough decisions by whatever government had got elected.

It is virtually impossible to reach the welfare cap unless you have dependent children, which is unlikely to apply to a couple in their sixties.
That's the household cap and according to those on benefit forums who can work these things out, if they claim Housing Benefiit then a single parent with just 2 children can get caught by the household cap. If they don't claim HB then a couple with 4 children will get hit by the cap. A few people do still have dependent children in their 60s.

Claiming DLA/PIP does give an exemption from the household welfare cap (I was wrong) but parliament did not give DLA/PIP an exemption from the other cap, the UK's annual welfare bill. Any of these benefits can be changed/removed to make sure the UK keeps to this new cap on the annual welfare bill

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Accessible.pdf

Table B.1: Benefits and tax credits in scope of the welfare cap

In scope

Attendance Allowance
Bereavement benefits
Carer’s Allowance
Child Benefit
Christmas Bonus
Disability Living Allowance
Employment and Support Allowance
Financial Assistance Scheme
Housing Benefit (except HB passported from JSA)
Incapacity Benefit
Income Support
Industrial Injuries Benefits
In Work Credit
Maternity Allowance
Pension Credit
Personal Independence Payment
Personal Tax Credits
Return to Work Credit
Severe Disablement Allowance
Social Fund – Cold Weather Payments
Statutory Adoption Pay
Statutory Maternity Pay
Statutory Paternity Pay
Tax Free Childcare
Universal Credit (except payments to jobseekers)
Winter Fuel Payments

Last edited by formula; Jul 13th 2015 at 11:04 am.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 11:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Stop digging, formula.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stop digging, formula.
The OP has parents in danger who could be in the UK. I give information on what help they can get as they are British citizens.

Yet you call that digging?

Why has this information upset you?
Old Jul 13th 2015, 8:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Nor has there been any suggestion that they will be applying for social housing. Or that they will be applying for a mortgage in their sixties.

Stop digging, formula.
Formula's advice seems clear to me, and mostly "on point". You should also remember that many people read these threads for advice without ever posting, or even registering on BE, therefore it is entirely appropriate that advice be fairly complete and not narrowly tailored to the specific circumstances of the OP.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

mojoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone who posted. I appreciate the help.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 4:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mojoman
Thanks everyone who posted. I appreciate the help.
Hi and welcome to BE mojoman.

Have you any thoughts about where you may wish to settle? As someone has written, services and support can vary around the country.

My own MIL has advanced Altzheimers now at 86. Looking back , it onset in her 60's also. Probably because of a severe and neglected thyroid issue.

She is supported in her own home with her 78 yr old brother as carer. However, when the support was finally put in place it was also necessary for the family to choose which care home should would go to if the need arose. The first 3 choices, all close to her home and immediate family were and are oversubscribed so there was quite some decision making to do.

Funds impact on benefit assistance and some benefits seem to impact on others. Ii can be quite convoluted if you are not used to it all.

If you are confused or need further clarification over anything you have read, then please do feel able to ask away. Sometimes the written word can be rather .

Do get in touch with the Alzheimers Society and have a chat. They will be able to guide you if you intend for your parents to live with you and also if you will be looking for some form of independent living for them. Here in NZ we have retirement villages where small bungalows can be bought. It gives the unaffected spouse the chance to live a life whilst there is support for the husband/wife with an attached care facility. No idea if such places exist in the UK.

What type of work would you hope for. Something in tourism perhaps?

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 24th 2015 at 4:26 am.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:16 am
Just Joined

mojoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi and welcome to BE mojoman.

Have you any thoughts about where you may wish to settle? As someone has written, services and support can vary around the country.

My own MIL has advanced Altzheimers now at 86. Looking back , it onset in her 60's also. Probably because of a severe and neglected thyroid issue.

She is supported in her own home with her 78 yr old brother as carer. However, when the support was finally put in place it was also necessary for the family to choose which care home should would go to if the need arose. The first 3 choices, all close to her home and immediate family were and are oversubscribed so there was quite some decision making to do.

Funds impact on benefit assistance and some benefits seem to impact on others. Ii can be quite convoluted if you are not used to it all.

If you are confused or need further clarification over anything you have read, then please do feel able to ask away. Sometimes the written word can be rather .

Do get in touch with the Alzheimers Society and have a chat. They will be able to guide you if you intend for your parents to live with you and also if you will be looking for some form of independent living for them. Here in NZ we have retirement villages where small bungalows can be bought. It gives the unaffected spouse the chance to live a life whilst there is support for the husband/wife with an attached care facility. No idea if such places exist in the UK.

What type of work would you hope for. Something in tourism perhaps?
I would be staying with a friend to begin with in Kirkby in Ashfield (not really sure of where that is, Nottingham somewhere!). Once I settle in then I can see whats what with work and where I would live. Work wise, not too sure, I would probably try to get anything to begin with, perhaps tourism, I have also cheffed for a few years but I am not fussy at all. The greater plan is to also study as well.

I think its going to be best if I get over there first and start dealing with everything, I saw what a nightmare it was to get my dads pension sorted out (took almost two months of paperwork back and forth) so I feel face to face is probably the best way to go when it comes to getting things done?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Formula's advice seems clear to me, and mostly "on point".
Thank you Pulaski.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mojoman

I think its going to be best if I get over there first and start dealing with everything, I saw what a nightmare it was to get my dads pension sorted out (took almost two months of paperwork back and forth) so I feel face to face is probably the best way to go when it comes to getting things done?

Talking of face to face, I've just remembered that the DWP do a thing now where they will come out to the home of UK pensioners and make sure they are getting all the help they can have. Don't forget to use them too for your parents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.