Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK after >3 years in Canada

Returning to UK after >3 years in Canada

Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Phil Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to UK after >3 years in Canada

Hi. I was born in the U.K. but became a Canadian citizen almost 40 years ago, so dual citizen. In 1999 I moved back to London UK to take a job. In early 2012 I moved back to Canada to be full-time carer for my elderly mum; she has now passed away and I am looking to return to the UK to retire at some point within the next 12 months. At that time I will have been absent from the UK for >3 years. I am now receiving both Canadian and UK Gov't pensions, and am not working. I have been wondering about two things.

Firstly, I have a UK photocard driver licence. It still carries my London UK former address and according to the DVLA website that can't be changed while I remain resident outside the UK. I noticed on the DVLA website that to change an address on a UK driver licence you have to provide information on your residence over the previous 3 years. Does anyone know if they accept a foreign residence such as Canada as part of the 3 years? I assume they would, but maybe someone knows of a person who has gone through the process and can confirm that.

Tied to 'Firstly', I am considering living on a canal boat and continuously cruising. If so I wouldn't have a 'fixed address' as such. Does anyone know if the DVLA would accept a relative's fixed address as an address on a UK driver licence, i.e. an address where a person only shows up occasionally?

Secondly, HMRC has just finished removing me from the UK taxation system after almost 3 years away from the UK ('deemed residence'). HMRC now considers me a non-resident for purposes of pension income from the UK. So money is forwarded to me in Canada without tax deducted. I'm wondering what happens if a person now returns to the UK after, say, 3.5 years away. I have not visited the UK (or for that matter left Canada) since returning to Canada in early 2012. If I am away from the UK continuously for, say, 3.5 years, i.e. returning later this year or early next year, will HMRC link up my earlier UK residence to my returning UK residence and declare that I never really left the UK -- and require me to file tax information for that interim 3.5 years? Both Canada and the UK tax world income on a residence basis. I'm wondering if it might be worth staying longer in Canada, say 4 years, to avoid problems with HMRC. Maybe someone has gone through something similar and can tell me how HMRC regards ex-pats returning after about 3.5 years or 4 years.

Thanks for any thoughts on the above!
Old Mar 10th 2015, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK after >3 years in Canada

I can only answer the first question. I moved back to the UK recently after many years in Canada and still had an old paper driving license that was good for a few more years until I'm 70. I had the address updated and they insisted on giving me a photocard, and when I called to check I found out that the fact I had been living in Canada was a non-issue. They didn't ask for proof of my current address so you may be able to use a relative's address.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, the1mag. Can I ask what you did as far as finding an authorized person who is required for signing the back of your photo. The DVLA website says that it has to be a person from a list of professions 'who has known you for at least 2 years'. Wasn't that difficult if you had just moved back to the UK after many years in Canada?
Old Mar 11th 2015, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Phil, on the form I had to use there was the option of putting in my passport number so they could get any info they needed from it, presumably the fact that I am indeed a UK citizen, and doing that meant I didn't need the back of the photo signed.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks again, the1mag. Very interesting. I have a photocard UK licence so won't run into the problem of finding an authorized person on moving back. However, in 4 years I'll be 70, and at that age they can ask for an updated picture with authorized signature on the back. However, I understand that if you have a photocard licence (as opposed to paper licence) they don't always ask for a new photo at 70. I got my photocard UK licence after taking a driving test when I was 52 and having a photo taken at that age, so perhaps I'll be one of the ones from whom they don't ask for a new photo.