Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the Uk after 12 years away!

Returning to the Uk after 12 years away!

Old Dec 12th 2017, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the Uk after 12 years away!

Durham_lad are you happy with the automatic car that you bought?

We will be getting an automatic as well. I learnt to drive in a Fiat 500 with no synchromesh and I never did learn the art of double declutching. I realize there are far fewer automatic cars in the UK than over here but have no desire to use a gear stick again.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
Durham_lad are you happy with the automatic car that you bought?

We will be getting an automatic as well. I learnt to drive in a Fiat 500 with no synchromesh and I never did learn the art of double declutching. I realize there are far fewer automatic cars in the UK than over here but have no desire to use a gear stick again.
Absolutely, can't tell any difference from it to the many automatics we had in the USA.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Some good advice above.

Our son has never held a UK licence and he moved here in September. He has a Texas driving licence only and owns a 2nd hand automatic car here. We also have an automatic, my wife didn’t want to switch to manual. He got the car before his provisional licence and got insurance through Aviva who accept US drivers licences and no claims letters from US insurance companies and that has saved him a big chunk of cash.

As to IRAs I can’t comment on eligibility towards visa applications but you say “joint accounts” but IRAs are by their very nature individual retirement accounts and cannot be in joint names as far as I know. We lived in the USA for many years and each have IRAs in our own names.
Good point re. the IRA! Of course we can't even put both our names on it. Thanks for pointing that out—gosh, I do feel silly sometimes!
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter
Good point re. the IRA! Of course we can't even put both our names on it. Thanks for pointing that out—gosh, I do feel silly sometimes!
Nothing to feel silly about, it’s an easy mistake to make.

Before you actually do move to the UK it will do well to check that the company that holds your IRAs will support you as an overseas customer. For example our son moved back this year so last year I had him open a regular IRA with $500. He already had a Roth IRA that he had been contributing to for years. Then as soon as he quit his job he rolled his 401k from his job into the IRA because I know from this site and my own experience that one of the restrictions for some brokerages is to not allow overseas residents to open new accounts even though they allow them to sell and buy within the accounts already established.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

PrairiePainter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi durham_lad,
We've been mulling how to handle that IRA when the time comes. Thanks for your helpful input!
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with Pulaski about the International Driver's permit (IDP). It is worth getting one if there is any chance at all that you might be travelling in a non-english speaking country. It isn't just a translation of your license, it puts all the information in a standardised format that everyone understands and in 10 different languages. Whether it will make your insurance quote cheaper in the UK is moot but it could possibly make it easier if you get pulled over for anything.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I disagree with Pulaski about the International Driver's permit (IDP). It is worth getting one if there is any chance at all that you might be travelling in a non-english speaking country. It isn't just a translation of your license, it puts all the information in a standardised format that everyone understands and in 10 different languages. Whether it will make your insurance quote cheaper in the UK is moot but it could possibly make it easier if you get pulled over for anything.
OP is returning to Scotland. Are you suggesting they need a translation there? It doesn't have the slightest bearing on UK insurance.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 7:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
OP is returning to Scotland. Are you suggesting they need a translation there? It doesn't have the slightest bearing on UK insurance.
Holidays? visits to the EU? anywhere else before they get their UK driver's licenses. Italy springs to mind.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Holidays? visits to the EU? anywhere else before they get their UK driver's licenses. Italy springs to mind.
Italy is a lovely country...

Might get one just in case, then. I don't think they're very expensive at all ($20 via AAA if I'm not mistaken), so perhaps it's worth it.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

I have another question! Hurrah!

So, we are hoping we'll be able to buy a home in advance of arrival. If we don't, however, we'll want to stay with my dad, probably, until we find a home. I know there are ways to rent a house from abroad, but if they really require six months rent in advance and we don't live in the house for six months, is that refundable?!

If we stay with my dad, I suppose we'll have to provide his address as the address we'll be staying at. He rents, however, rather than owns. Would this mean we need some type of letter from his landlord saying that we can stay?

Naturally all this is very hypothetical and where we stay depends on how things unfold over the next few months...
Old Dec 13th 2017, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

I know there are ways to rent a house from abroad, but if they really require six months rent in advance and we don't live in the house for six months, is that refundable?!
Depends on the rental agreement, the most common type is an assured shorthold tenancy, which has to be a minimum of 6 months. So you would be committed to the first 6 months of rent and then typically able to end the agreement with one months notice. As a landlord I can't think of a situation where I would agree to a short term, unless perhaps for much higher monthly rent. The cost and inconvenience of tenant turn over would be too much.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

... Is it worth getting an International Drivers License before coming to the UK? My dear mum told me that policemen "look very poorly upon" people who don't have them.
If you are planning to go native to the extent of taking package holidays to (for example) Spain or Greece then you will want to get the international permit shortly before you leave the US. I seem to recall the AAA does them free or low cost.
For instance, you definitely cannot drive in Spain on a USA license (sic) without an official translation into espanol. The international permit meets that requirement.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Depends on the rental agreement, the most common type is an assured shorthold tenancy, which has to be a minimum of 6 months. So you would be committed to the first 6 months of rent and then typically able to end the agreement with one months notice. As a landlord I can't think of a situation where I would agree to a short term, unless perhaps for much higher monthly rent. The cost and inconvenience of tenant turn over would be too much.
Actually I might be wrong on this. Scotland has introduced a new tenancy agreement called a "Private residential tenancy" and it does not appear to have an initial minimum period.

If that is the case, then this could be great in your situation, not so great for landlord, but that's the joys of being one ;-)
Old Dec 13th 2017, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

I have another question! Hurrah!

So, we are hoping we'll be able to buy a home in advance of arrival. If we don't, however, we'll want to stay with my dad, probably, until we find a home. I know there are ways to rent a house from abroad, but if they really require six months rent in advance and we don't live in the house for six months, is that refundable?!

If we stay with my dad, I suppose we'll have to provide his address as the address we'll be staying at. He rents, however, rather than owns. Would this mean we need some type of letter from his landlord saying that we can stay?

Naturally all this is very hypothetical and where we stay depends on how things unfold over the next few months...
Our son moved in with us in September and started looking for a house along with all the other stuff a newbie to the country needs. My wife and I wrote a letter saying he was staying with us, and provided utilities bills to prove we lived there.

He needed this letter to open a bank account, get his NI number and buy his house. So to answer your question, no problem if you move in with your Dad
Old Dec 13th 2017, 10:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

... I am going to bravely brush up on my stick driving skills (I currently have....no such skills) ...
It's easy-peasy. Full instructions between 1:30 and 1:36 in the video below:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.