Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where to move in Essex/Kent/East Sussex?

Where to move in Essex/Kent/East Sussex?

Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

bexx88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to move in Essex/Kent/East Sussex?

Hello!

We are thinking of moving to Essex, Kent or East Sussex and we'd be grateful for some thoughts. Which places can you recommend? What is it like living there? For us, it is important that it is a good place for small children, rather calm and peaceful, good schools, nature/beach/woods, public transport, job opportunities and affordable housing.

We've been thinking of Leigh-on-Sea or anything in that area as one option - anybody who can share some experiences?

Thanks a lot for your comments!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:59 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move in Essex/Kent/East Sussex?

I know the area round Lewes in E.Sussex quite well and spend several weeks there each year.

Prices within the national park are high, but you can get better priced housing in villages on the edge but not within the park, particularly if not too scenic. Ringmer where my mum lives is in that category. Not the best looking village, but pleasant enough, and very good community spirit. Bus routes to Brighton and Uckfield, and easy enough to change buses at Lewes for other parts. Train services from Glynde and Lewes. Good walking on the downs. Can't comment on the schools, but I understand they are well regarded.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need to commute?

I grew up in Essex but I'm a bit out of date, although I still know some people who live in Chelmsford and Brentwood. When we were recently toying with the idea of moving back to the south-east I was somewhat taken aback by house prices. Southend/Leigh did seem more affordable.

My Mum lives in Eastbourne and I really like it there, but it's 1 1/2 hrs to London on the Train. Lewes always seems very nice.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

I don't know about living in East Sussex (I love it though). I've lived in Essex and Kent. Loved both. It all depends on whether you are going to work in London or not. I think for practical reasons you can't beat the Essex Hertfordshire border. Good link into London, great schools and the Hertfordshire area seem to be a good place for jobs. Kent is good if you keep to West Kent. The east is lovely but not so great for jobs.