Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning after 14 years tax on transferring my cash

Returning after 14 years tax on transferring my cash

Old Nov 10th 2017, 6:48 am
Just Joined

selborne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning after 14 years tax on transferring my cash

Can anyone advise me? I will be returning to live the UK after being domiciled as a tax payer in South Africa for 14 years.

I am cashing in my South African retirement savings and will pay tax on that in SA when it gets paid to me, will I have to pay tax on it again when I transfer the amount into a UK bank account.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 7:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning after 14 years tax on transferring my cash

Originally Posted by selborne
Can anyone advise me? I will be returning to live the UK after being domiciled as a tax payer in South Africa for 14 years.

I am cashing in my South African retirement savings and will pay tax on that in SA when it gets paid to me, will I have to pay tax on it again when I transfer the amount into a UK bank account.
No tax payable on transfer. Any interest the funds generate once you're a tax resident in the UK will form part of your taxable income.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 7:47 am
Just Joined

selborne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank goodness, I was really dreading having to pay twice.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by selborne
Thank goodness, I was really dreading having to pay twice.
I was planning to draw an income stream from my Australian superannuation in the future. Once I meet the age conditions, this income would be tax free in Australia as it was taxed at source.

However, as I've emigrated to the UK, this income stream/pension would form part of my taxable income. The double tax treaty between the two countries doesn't apply, as the tax is only payable in one country.

Consequently (as I'll be buggered if I'll pay tax twice on these funds) all my Australian superannuation will be withdrawn as a cash payment.