return travel

Old Apr 11th 2001, 2:19 am
RolinBeans

Phil (my soon to be husband - I love that word) had been on my case about finding out
the specifics on traveling back to the UK. he has his K1 and will be moving here may
13. what is the deal on him going back to visit his family in england? I know there
is some waiver you can recieve but I was wondering if anyone could tell me just how
that works. Thanx, Becca

Old Apr 11th 2001, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

Before you guys get married, he can't travel back - the K1 visa is only good for a single entry to the US. After you marry, and file for AOS, you need to also apply for "Advance Parole". It's very important that you get this, as otherwise leaving to visit back is construed as abandoning your petition!
Old Apr 11th 2001, 2:43 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Becca-
You may want to do a search in Goggle. I posted a very similar query back in Jan or Feb sometime when I found out my fiance's Dad had cancer. I got a number of responses. The thing to do is to marry very early in the K-1- say a week or a couple from the time he arrives. Then immediately file for AOS *and* advance parole at the same time. My local office told me they can issue advance parole on the same day, provided you have proof of AOS pending. (my local office has us send these to Vermont for some unknown reason- Baltimore in case you're curious). Anyway, if you play your cards right- It might only be a month or two when he won't be able to leave the country without screwing things up .
Good luck,
Beth