Return to study

Old Nov 27th 2014, 12:25 am
Just Joined

muddygoody is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Return to study

Ow do,
Has anyone returned to the UK to do full-time study? What was your experience?

I'm returning in 2015 after a few years in Aus. Trying to figure out taxes, any student benefits, loan access, opening a bank account etc in the UK is mind boggling. Additionally, assistance offered via Aus is 0 unless the study is linked between countries.

Cheers!!

Muddy
Old Nov 27th 2014, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return to study

The main thing to consider is that you will pay international fees.

Taxes work as they always did, there is nothing special to consider as far as I am aware.

I am not sure if student loans are available or not.

Opening a bank account should be pretty straightforward for a resident.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The main thing to consider is that you will pay international fees.

Taxes work as they always did, there is nothing special to consider as far as I am aware.

I am not sure if student loans are available or not.

Opening a bank account should be pretty straightforward for a resident.
Generally speaking, student loans are not available for anyone who is classified as an international student.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Generally speaking, student loans are not available for anyone who is classified as an international student.
I suppose it depends a bit on what "a few years" is and on what basis the OP has been away.

But I hope the OP has a Plan B.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 12:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I suppose it depends a bit on what "a few years" is and on what basis the OP has been away.

But I hope the OP has a Plan B.
If it's three years or more OP will almost definitely be classed as international. Less than three years, or some clear evidence that the absence was some sort of temporary absence and he/she may be able to make a case for being classed as home fees student.

Loads of prior threads on the subject of international fees for expat returnees. One or two have managed to avoid it but it seems to have been through blind luck more than using any specific exemption rules.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If it's three years or more OP will almost definitely be classed as international. Less than three years, or some clear evidence that the absence was some sort of temporary absence and he/she may be able to make a case for being classed as home fees student.

Loads of prior threads on the subject of international fees for expat returnees. One or two have managed to avoid it but it seems to have been through blind luck more than using any specific exemption rules.
That's rather what I meant.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Are you actually moving permanently? I'm not sure, as you mention help from Australia.

As others have mentioned, you are classed as international unless you have been resident for three years.

How long were you in Australia and in what basis? If you can make a case that your stay was temporary, they may accept you as a 'home' student. Do you have any strong links to the UK, eg, own property?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:19 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's rather what I meant.
I was just clarifying for the OP ... there's a relatively recent thread that trawls up other threads from the past with all the detail but TBH I couldn't be arsed to go find it.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 10:20 pm
Born again atheist

I was just clarifying for the OP ... there's a relatively recent thread that trawls up other threads from the past with all the detail but TBH I couldn't be arsed to go find it.
Fully understood.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We were overseas in Aus for 13 years and our two sons were not classed as overseas students and both were offered student loans one son was offered this while still in Australia!!!! we told the truth about our history etc and we also contacted the Uni's direct just to clarify the Degree's both our sons wanted to study. Good luck
Old Nov 29th 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Debidoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Return to study

We returned in 2007 after three years in Aus. My son got a place at uni but was told he had to pay international fees despite that prior to the three years living in Aus I lived in the UK for over 40 years. It's gonna be tough for you. Fortunately we were able to resolve it for him because his dad lived in the uk and he was still close to him. To make it harder you will need a uk address to open a bank account which means the usual forms of ID ..... Residential address and bills plus driving license and passport. You won't be able to claim benefits. How keen are you yo study in the UK? Have you compared the costs??? It's around £10.000.00 per year (non international) fees now I think it's much cheaper in Australia... What about doing a course in Aus with a year exchange to the uk? The other thing is having your Aus qualifications assessed by the universities in the uk ... Most of the uk unis gad never heard of the Aus TER scores .. It was a battle to say the least!!! He's got a degree now thank god but had a £30.000.00 debt!! Not sure if it was worth it to be honest .. When he graduated he really struggled to get a job and is on a low income. I moved to New Zealand a year ago and the uni fees here are much less expensive than the UK
Old Jan 18th 2015, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Cosmo22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi

We were overseas in Aus for 13 years and our two sons were not classed as overseas students and both were offered student loans one son was offered this while still in Australia!!!! we told the truth about our history etc and we also contacted the Uni's direct just to clarify the Degree's both our sons wanted to study. Good luck
Hi,

My first post here! Moving back to UK from Australia (after 13 years) once my daughter finishes yr 12 at end of this year. We know all about the 3 yr residency rule so am prepared for that but are still going to give it a cracking good shot to apply and keep our fingers crossed that we might come up trumps. I've heard that even though the government stipulates that rule, the ultimate decision is up to the individual university.

I hope you don't mind me asking but any particular advice on increasing our chances?!

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 18th 2015, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

When we phoned the University's THEY asked us if our sons had wanted to return back to the UK earlier, we said yes (which was the truth) but two reasons had stopped us doing this, the first one being that we had tried to sell our last home for nearly 2.5 years and also that when we had finally sold our home our eldest had nearly finished his tee's (he was in year 12) and our youngest had just started his tee's (year 11) the Uni advisor's advised us to wait until either our youngest finished year 11 or 12 then return home but three of the University's offered "home" status to our oldest Son and when we did return after our youngest completed year 11 (nearly a year later) he went straight to college and did an advanced BTEC and also GCSE's in English, Maths & Science, we had been in the UK nearly 2 years when he completed college and 4 Uni's offered him places with "Home" status and even offered student loans. Can I ask what your daughter wants to do? Colleges are offering excellent courses and you can also study certain degree's while still at College so the expense of Uni might not be something that needs to worry you. Good luck
Old Jan 18th 2015, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Cosmo22 is an unknown quantity at this point

When we phoned the University's THEY asked us if our sons had wanted to return back to the UK earlier, we said yes (which was the truth) but two reasons had stopped us doing this, the first one being that we had tried to sell our last home for nearly 2.5 years and also that when we had finally sold our home our eldest had nearly finished his tee's (he was in year 12) and our youngest had just started his tee's (year 11) the Uni advisor's advised us to wait until either our youngest finished year 11 or 12 then return home but three of the University's offered "home" status to our oldest Son and when we did return after our youngest completed year 11 (nearly a year later) he went straight to college and did an advanced BTEC and also GCSE's in English, Maths & Science, we had been in the UK nearly 2 years when he completed college and 4 Uni's offered him places with "Home" status and even offered student loans. Can I ask what your daughter wants to do? Colleges are offering excellent courses and you can also study certain degree's while still at College so the expense of Uni might not be something that needs to worry you. Good luck
Thanks so much for your reply. She's not completely made up her mind yet but it will be either mixture of english, history, and/or languages - french and Spanish. I was thinking of moving back for her to do A-levels there but her Dad and I have separated and as he will be staying in Australia, I couldn't take her away from him till she finishes school and is nearly 18.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 11:59 am
Ping-ponger

+1.

I am an EE for three FE colleges in Northern Ireland and have been astounded at the quality of education in the foundation degrees (FdSc) they offer. Better value than universities and (IMO) better education, especially in non-esoteric course, because FE lecturers are paid almost entirely to teach, not simply teach in the odd free moments between pursuing their research. This enables them to spend many hours teaching small groups and offering hands-on experiences not just large-hall lectures to 250 students at once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.