Residency for Schools

Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

englandbound16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency for Schools

Hi,
My family is moving from the US to England in 2017. My husband is British but has lived in the US for the last 20 yrs and I'm American. We have two sons who were born in the US. My oldest son will be at the age to enter Primary School next fall. We will be moving in with my husband's parents until we find a place to rent/buy. We have a house to sell in the US but its not contingent on us moving. I have a few questions on the residency for school applications.

1) How do we show proof of living with parents?
2)Are there any requirements for us leaving for periods of time back to the US after we apply and before school starts?
I know we will have to go back for sale of house and may take a few trips to get everything moved and to say good bye to family.
3) How do schools handle temporary addresses for applications since we aren't sure how long we wll be at parents house?

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency for Schools

Originally Posted by englandbound16
Hi,
My family is moving from the US to England in 2017. My husband is British but has lived in the US for the last 20 yrs and I'm American. We have two sons who were born in the US. My oldest son will be at the age to enter Primary School next fall. We will be moving in with my husband's parents until we find a place to rent/buy. We have a house to sell in the US but its not contingent on us moving. I have a few questions on the residency for school applications.

I'll assume that your children are British Citizens by descent, and that your husband will succeed in sponsoring you as spouse to go live in the UK. If these assumptions are not correct, answers below do not apply.

1) How do we show proof of living with parents
Do you mean "proof of address"? If so: confirmation letter from parents. Registration with GP. Open a bank account. Electoral register. Etc, etc.

2)Are there any requirements for us leaving for periods of time back to the US after we apply and before school starts?
Not sure what exactly you mean, but generally speaking: no, if you're referring to school enrollment.

I know we will have to go back for sale of house and may take a few trips to get everything moved and to say good bye to family.
Not relevant to school if outside term time.

3) How do schools handle temporary addresses for applications since we aren't sure how long we wll be at parents house?
Temporary/permanent address doesn't matter, unless you're going to be trying to enroll your children in a school outside of the catchment area

Thanks for any help!
For further information, you could start here, & input the area you'll be living in for precise info:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-primary-school-place

Note that it's quite hard to enroll/apply from abroad. You *might* have to wait until your family is actually present in the UK.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Can you share where your OH's parents stay?
Every local authority has its own rules for applying.
You need to check the relevant local authority website for information.
Check the OFSTED site for school performance data.
Can your in-laws go and talk with some local schools to open up a conversation for you and perhaps gain some insight from the school's point of view?
You are generally not allowed to take children out of school during term time.
Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

englandbound16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much the responses back!

My children are British by descent from my husband and we are applying for their British passport. I will apply for a spouse visa to stay in the UK.

We are looking to move in with my in-laws in January but will have to make multiple trips back to the US to sell the house and pack it up, once it's sold. We're hoping to have it sold by the summer of 2017.

My question was that after we submit our school application were there any rules that we had to be in the country or that residence for so many days during the application process.

Thanks again for the help!