Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rental Cars in UK - Zip Cars

Rental Cars in UK - Zip Cars

Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental Cars in UK - Zip Cars

Originally Posted by robin1234
We downsized our fridge in the US, and when I bought one for our flat in England, I bought a smaller than normal one. Both fridge & freezer sections of it are always less than half full.

So what do Americans fill their fridges with? I think one thing is condiments, some of which take years to use up. Ketchup, several mustards, several salad dressings. Then there are bottled and canned drinks, water, beer, soda and the like. It seems to me that if all you have in the fridge is proper food and leftovers, no way would people need huge fridges (except for a large family of course.)
some of those American fridge/freezers must be the size of a medium size UK bedroom, like the one from 'True T-72G 79" Glass Door Reach In Refrigerator - 72 Cu. Ft'
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
... It is now obvious to me that assuming that just because it is the UK buses run yo and from everywhere is completely wrong.

Everyone here says the bus stop is five minutes up the road. Ha ha! To me that's a 30-minute uphill walk. I walked everywhere for the first week and my legs were killing me!
Hmm - not an assumption I would have made. Possibly because of having grown up in places in the UK where a 2 + mile hike to a bus stop was normal ...
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:00 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Hmm - not an assumption I would have made. Possibly because of having grown up in places in the UK where a 2 + mile hike to a bus stop was normal ...
maybe in the past we all could - question is, could you or anyone at an age today 30 years on hike 2 + miles to the bus stop, there & back?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
maybe in the past we all could - question is, could you or anyone at an age today 30 years on hike 2 + miles to the bus stop, there & back?
Fortunately, yes I still can (not saying I'd *enjoy* doing so ).

If I couldn't, I wouldn't move to a place where doing so was necessary.

Prior research would, of course, be part of the equation...
Old Jul 27th 2015, 10:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately, yes I still can (not saying I'd *enjoy* doing so ).

If I couldn't, I wouldn't move to a place where doing so was necessary.

Prior research would, of course, be part of the equation...
Same here. I can no longer hike miles to the bus stop each time without killing my feet, so my first requirement when looking for where to live is - how near to the buses/trains am I, and what's the current service like. I do it in Aus now when moving, and when I come home I wouldn't even consider living anywhere small simply because the public transport woudn't be good enough.
Thank heavens for the internet!
Old Jul 27th 2015, 11:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Same here. I can no longer hike miles to the bus stop each time without killing my feet, so my first requirement when looking for where to live is - how near to the buses/trains am I, and what's the current service like. I do it in Aus now when moving, and when I come home I wouldn't even consider living anywhere small simply because the public transport woudn't be good enough.
Thank heavens for the internet!
The days of me hiking anywhere are over too, courtesy of RA. One of the reasons we bought the house we did is that it is a 2 minute walk from the train station, heaven
Old Jul 27th 2015, 11:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The days of me hiking anywhere are over too, courtesy of RA. One of the reasons we bought the house we did is that it is a 2 minute walk from the train station, heaven
name of that train station is?

Merseyrail Network Map
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rental Cars in UK - Zip Cars

Out of the blue I had my drivers licence denied (since now restored, thank you), anyway I would have had to resort to a mile walk up hill from the bus stop and in 102 degrees heat, I think it would kill me off.

I talked to the bus company and they would send a bus close to home if I filled out a lengthy application stating my inability to safely walk to the bus stop.

Lets see 1 mile at 77 years old, diabetic, uphill a steep hill with shopping and current conditions are around 102 degrees daily. 1+1 miles=2 total

Fortunately I have a new Buick to use now I have my license back, for the time bein.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Out of the blue I had my drivers licence denied (since now restored, thank you), anyway I would have had to resort to a mile walk up hill from the bus stop and in 102 degrees heat, I think it would kill me off.

I talked to the bus company and they would send a bus close to home if I filled out a lengthy application stating my inability to safely walk to the bus stop.

Lets see 1 mile at 77 years old, diabetic, uphill a steep hill with shopping and current conditions are around 102 degrees daily. 1+1 miles=2 total

Fortunately I have a new Buick to use now I have my license back, for the time bein.
Is this in (not-urban) UK?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is this in (not-urban) UK?
Can't be. Cheers lives in the US.
I think it would take more than that to get a UK bus company to re-route its services, especially with all the resultant timetable changes etc.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would take more than that to get a UK bus company to re-route its services, especially with all the resultant timetable changes etc.
True. On Cape Cod, which has some bus routes but not that great, some of the bus routes will deviate to pick you up at your house. I hate to think what that does to the accuracy of the published timetable...
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
name of that train station is?

Merseyrail Network Map
I've sent you a message. I'm not telling the world and his wife where I'll be living, there are nutters out there!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

My point exactly. .
Old Aug 6th 2015, 7:39 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've sent you a message. I'm not telling the world and his wife where I'll be living, there are nutters out there!
Too right! There is a limit to how much info that we are willing to share in public!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 7:40 am
Home and Happy

My point exactly. .
Tempted to try it next time I come home! .....

Dear First Bus, could you drive up the hill to my sister's place, instead of round the bottom cos dragging the luggage up is hard work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.