Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rental Cars in UK - Zip Cars

Rental Cars in UK - Zip Cars

Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

well, I am finally home with my two dogs. Dogs made it just fine although I had a major fight with the airline when the first flight was late which left insufficient time to connect with the second flight to the UK for the dogs. They told me the dogs might not fly until the next day.

After much "ado" I got them on the same flight and had Petsafe rushing to prep them for flight over threats of all kinds but it worked.

I believe someone mentioned there are such things as small cars you can hire for a day - perhaps called zip cars but I can't remember. How do you find these cars and how much do they cost? The bus service where I am presently living is non-existent for the times I need it - actually the service overall is atrocious; hence the zip car rental question.

How do I feel about being back? It's great to be on British soil but in ways I miss the USA because so much of what I did was entertainment-related. Even so, It's only an adjustment on my part because I can do the very same thing from here.

Thing that riles me the most so far are the tiny dishwashers, freezers and fridges!!! Grrr!

-----------------

Hi all. Great to be back in the UK.

I remember someone talking of cars you can hire by the day - not sure if they were called zip cars. Can you tell me how I can find out more about these cars. Not sure that zip cars is the correct term.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 19th 2015 at 10:19 pm. Reason: Merge two posts on same subject of Zip Cars to the one dedicated thread started by OP
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Rental Cars in UK - Zip Cars

Originally Posted by windsong
Thing that riles me the most so far are the tiny dishwashers, freezers and fridges!!! Grrr!
Don't remember them but I've been gone 10 years. Fairly sure my family all have regular sized appliances.

Just googled zip and got this: What is Zipcar? | Zipcar UK.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I remember someone talking of cars you can hire by the day - not sure if they were called zip cars. Can you tell me how I can find out more about these cars. Not sure that zip cars is the correct term.
Sorry I can't help you...but I believe they are called ZIP cars. I'm not being funny but have you tried Google?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 3:28 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Try googling car clubs. I believe that zipcar is just one of several similar outfits. But they tend to be centred on the big cities, so it will depend where you live.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on finally making it back!

Agree that "zip" car-type rentals might be hard to find/non-existent outside the cities.

Some small towns/villages have semi-organised carpooling "runs" where public transport is lacking. Might this be an option where you are? If you can give us a general area (without compromising your privacy, of course) we might be able to come up with some options?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 4:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The fact is that if you are somewhere rural, public transport is almost certainly going to be pants.

As a result of spending my first forty five years living in London, I never learned to drive. Then I was lucky, in that although we lived in a rural area, we were on a reasonably regular bus route. But, after a year of living in deepest Devon, I've decided I'll have to learn, even though I'm in my early sixties. Wish me luck!
Old Jul 19th 2015, 5:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a small rural town and there's a car from Co-Wheels /Norfolk Car Club parked about half a mile from my flat. It was very easy to join, no joining fee and then an ongoing membership fee of five pounds a month. But any month you use the car, you get credit for that five pounds. The Car is about 4.50 an hour, max fee for a full day of 45.00. I've used the car twice and it is super convenient. You simply sign up for the hours you want online, then open up the car with your membership card. Insurance etc. is all included with a 250 pound deductible. You also pay 21p per mile.

It might seem a bit more money than a traditional rental, but unlike a rental, you can just get it for an hour or two or three. Obviously, it's cheaper than owning a car which costs depreciation, insurance, tyres, maintenance etc. etc.

I primarily walk, cycle and use the bus (with free bus pass,) but the car is needed for some things.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental Cars in UK - Zip Cars

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't remember them but I've been gone 10 years. Fairly sure my family all have regular sized appliances.

Just googled zip and got this: What is Zipcar? | Zipcar UK.
My family have the same sized machines that we have in Australia. Are US ones extra large or something?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

well, I am finally home with my two dogs. Dogs made it just fine although I had a major fight with the airline when the first flight was late which left insufficient time to connect with the second flight to the UK for the dogs. They told me the dogs might not fly until the next day.

After much "ado" I got them on the same flight and had Petsafe rushing to prep them for flight over threats of all kinds but it worked.

I believe someone mentioned there are such things as small cars you can hire for a day - perhaps called zip cars but I can't remember. How do you find these cars and how much do they cost? The bus service where I am presently living is non-existent for the times I need it - actually the service overall is atrocious; hence the zip car rental question.

How do I feel about being back? It's great to be on British soil but in ways I miss the USA because so much of what I did was entertainment-related. Even so, It's only an adjustment on my part because I can do the very same thing from here.

-----------------

What do you mean about entertainment related? Surely the methods of entertainment here are the same as the US? TV, internet, music, cinemas etc? If you can be more specific about what you are missing, perhaps we can help you find it
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got a small one in your rental, that's not the norm and is probably just due to space or a stingy landlord! Plenty of large appliances in the UK which you can buy if you wish, my fridge is 180cm tall by a metre wide, so far from 'tiny'.

Although if it's just you, there's probably little point in paying for huge appliances, particularly a dishwasher which you'd only fill every few days (smelly!). My dishwasher takes 12 place settings, but we're a family of four so it goes on every single day.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:37 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We downsized our fridge in the US, and when I bought one for our flat in England, I bought a smaller than normal one. Both fridge & freezer sections of it are always less than half full.

So what do Americans fill their fridges with? I think one thing is condiments, some of which take years to use up. Ketchup, several mustards, several salad dressings. Then there are bottled and canned drinks, water, beer, soda and the like. It seems to me that if all you have in the fridge is proper food and leftovers, no way would people need huge fridges (except for a large family of course.)
Old Jul 20th 2015, 11:13 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta have a big fridge for de-frosting that Thanksgiving turkey!
Old Jul 20th 2015, 2:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

It's my perception that more preserved foodstuffs need to be 'kept in the fridge after opening' than used to be the case. Jam is a good example. I've tried keeping shop bought jam in the cupboard, but it tends to go mouldy quite quickly. I thought the point of a 'preserve' was that it was -- well -- preserved.

We have a small fridge nowadays and I admit that I have difficulty fitting everything in. We are probably going to end up go for an expensive re-design of the kitchen to get enough storage space.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Congratulations on finally making it back!

Agree that "zip" car-type rentals might be hard to find/non-existent outside the cities.

Some small towns/villages have semi-organised carpooling "runs" where public transport is lacking. Might this be an option where you are? If you can give us a general area (without compromising your privacy, of course) we might be able to come up with some options?
You are quite right, Shirtback. Zip cars are only available in a few areas and not in mine. It is now obvious to me that assuming that just because it is the UK buses run yo and from everywhere is completely wrong. While there is a bus stop about one minute from where I live, the buses no longer come here. The next option is to walk up to the main road which is all uphill and about 3/4 of a mile's walk. No thank you. On top of that the local railway station which is also at the main read is closed for few months. I have to take taxis everywhere. Shortly, I am going to look for a car. It seems to be the only way to reliably get to work once I find a job. Very frustrating indeed. The immediate area where I live is quite nice but not very convenient.

Also, there is only a small co-op here which is also up the hill on the main road. I have to go into the local town for everything else.

Everyone here says the bus stop is five minutes up the road. Ha ha! To me that's a 30-minute uphill walk. I walked everywhere for the first week and my legs were killing me!
Old Jul 26th 2015, 3:42 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
It's my perception that more preserved foodstuffs need to be 'kept in the fridge after opening' than used to be the case. Jam is a good example. I've tried keeping shop bought jam in the cupboard, but it tends to go mouldy quite quickly. I thought the point of a 'preserve' was that it was -- well -- preserved.

We have a small fridge nowadays and I admit that I have difficulty fitting everything in. We are probably going to end up go for an expensive re-design of the kitchen to get enough storage space.
Jam can still be kept in the cupboard, according to this food safety expert, though some other sauces, condiments shouldn't be.... (Sorry it's the DM, but this article was the most clearly written!)

He claims it's the utensil--knife or whatever--that causes any mould to grow in the jam. He recommends always using a spanking-clean one, not one that has been used previously for butter, etc.

Do you really need to keep ketchup in the fridge? And what about jam, mayonnaise and pickle? The answers will surprise you | Daily Mail Online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.