Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Relocating back to the UK with 2 cats

Relocating back to the UK with 2 cats

Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating back to the UK with 2 cats

Originally Posted by 2minds
That's a very ignorant comment.
I'm a scientist who's owned cats. They don't give a flying one who's feeding them as long as someone is.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 6:32 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've observed of my own cats, they are capable of affection. Our ginger and white adores my OH, and constantly follows him round the house, even though I am the one who feeds her. But that isn't the same thing as separation anxiety. I've never seen a cat whine for hours after it has been left, like a dog will. Nor do cats seek comfort from their human friends when they are scared. I've had two cats that were very frightened of thunderstorms, but they would hide under the bed or in a cupboard, not seek protection from me.

On the question of cabin or cargo, my personal view is that anyone who thinks their cat will be happier on a long haul flight in the cabin is deluded.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

oliverjude will become famous soon enougholiverjude will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Evans01
Hi all
Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place! Myself and my husband are moving back to the UK from Canada and have 2 cats to go too. Is anyone able to suggest some companies that would transport the cats (apparently you can't with Air transat directly with them anymore) I've heard rumours some companies can arrange for them to go on the same flight as you?! Any guidance? Prices from someone that's had a similar situation? Would be so very much appreciated!
Kindest Regards
We are returning to the UK in 5 months. Did you find a couple of companies? I'm looking for my dog, I've got one quote from Toronto to Gatwick for $600 plus uk fees of £120
Old Jan 9th 2016, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I'm a scientist and I think the problem might be your's rather than the cat's.
What an gratuitous unpleasant comment and total unnecessary given the context
Old Jan 10th 2016, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2minds
I was just trying to be helpful and suggest alternatives. For my own cat's well-being I know he would freak out being separated from us. And I've read that pets have died because nobody remembered to switch the heating/pressure on in the cargo hold, plus there's no 100% guarantee they travel on the same flight as the owner therefore ending up in a holding area for many hours. In the end each owner makes the best choice for their own pet.
But that was not a very sensible alternative! You wouldn't be in the plane with cat sleeping on knee, they would be squished away somewhere, possibly making a lot of noise and distressing everyone around including themselves on the flight. And then a very long car journey.

I have had cats for many years and transported three from Australia to UK last year. I also moved two out there and two to Bermuda and back. I have deliberately never been on the same plane as my cats, they go either before or after me by a few days and there is someone waiting to collect.

People that say cats are not affectionate or do not love their humans do not know cats. My cats love me, they are pleased to see me when I come home, they like to be with me but there is no way they get separation anxiety when I am not there for a few hours! And I have never yet met a cat that isnt happy to go off and do his own thing for a while.