Reload this Page >

Relocating back to the UK with 2 cats

Relocating back to the UK with 2 cats

Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Evans01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating back to the UK with 2 cats

Hi all
Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place! Myself and my husband are moving back to the UK from Canada and have 2 cats to go too. Is anyone able to suggest some companies that would transport the cats (apparently you can't with Air transat directly with them anymore) I've heard rumours some companies can arrange for them to go on the same flight as you?! Any guidance? Prices from someone that's had a similar situation? Would be so very much appreciated!
Kindest Regards
Old Oct 6th 2015, 6:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating back to the UK with 2 cats

For Air Transat try Petsaway based in the UK. There is another firm based in Vancouver, but I haven't kept a note of their name. When I was moving my cats last year, there was no significant difference in pricing between the two firms.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

We used Pet Relocation to get our 2 cats from Texas to the UK. They were great, a little expensive but our cats are very nervous travellers. They have just travelled to Holland and we used PetAirUK and they were not as good.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evans01
Hi all
Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place! Myself and my husband are moving back to the UK from Canada and have 2 cats to go too. Is anyone able to suggest some companies that would transport the cats (apparently you can't with Air transat directly with them anymore) I've heard rumours some companies can arrange for them to go on the same flight as you?! Any guidance? Prices from someone that's had a similar situation? Would be so very much appreciated!
Kindest Regards
I can't answer your question directly, but one point worth investigating is whether the airline/cargo company will handle animals exiting Canada during winter months. I remember bringing my 2 kitties into Canada 10 years ago now and arriving just before the end of October, which was deemed the cut-off point until spring.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

2minds is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Relocating back to the UK with 2 cats

Have you looked into flying with an airline which would allow your cats to travel in the cabin with you - I know you can't fly into England like this but you could get as far as Paris and then hire a car for the rest of the journey going via Calais (tunnel or ferry). That might be a possibility and less stressful for the cats. Best of luck!
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

As a cat owner, i find it difficult to imagine how cabin travel plus a long car journey could be less stressful for a cat than travelling as cargo.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

A vet can prescribe tranquillisers
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Pica
A vet can prescribe tranquillisers
I don't think that is recommended because the low pressure in the cabin combined with tranquillisers can be fatal.

Our cats were fine. Our 22 year old, who had gone out to Canada with us 8 years before, clearly recognised that she was home, even if it was Gatwick airport. She was pleased to see us, but even keener on investigating those familiar bird noises in the hedge outside the animal reception centre.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Editha
As a cat owner, i find it difficult to imagine how cabin travel plus a long car journey could be less stressful for a cat than travelling as cargo.
I was just trying to be helpful and suggest alternatives. For my own cat's well-being I know he would freak out being separated from us. And I've read that pets have died because nobody remembered to switch the heating/pressure on in the cargo hold, plus there's no 100% guarantee they travel on the same flight as the owner therefore ending up in a holding area for many hours. In the end each owner makes the best choice for their own pet.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 7:15 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

According to scientists, cats don't suffer from separation anxiety.

Both going to Canada in '06 with Air Canada, and returning with Air Transat in '14, the cats were on the same flight as us across the Atlantic. In '06, we flew to Calgary and from there to Edmonton. The cats could not be transferred to the same plane from Calgary and were put on a flight one hour later.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure my 20 year old cat did better in cargo in a carrier that was large enough for her to move around in than she would have done in the cabin squished in a small carrier under a seat. I flew with her from Halifax to Heathrow on Icelandair and made sure she was on the same flights as me. I arranged everything myself and the whole experience couldn't have gone more smoothly.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Editha;11771952]According to scientists, cats don't suffer from separation anxiety.

"Scientists" haven't met my cat.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 8:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=2minds;11803007]
Originally Posted by Editha
I'm a scientist and I think the problem might be your's rather than the cat's.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;11803746]
Originally Posted by 2minds

I'm a scientist and I think the problem might be your's rather than the cat's.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

That's a very ignorant comment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.