Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Relocate my U.S. Spouse/Dual child to UK without me

Relocate my U.S. Spouse/Dual child to UK without me

Old Jun 2nd 2017, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

flynn423 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocate my U.S. Spouse/Dual child to UK without me

Advise please as I'm not even sure this is possible! Thank you in advance.
I'm a UK citizen on a U.S. green card for 20 years. My kids are dual, and my wife U.S.
I'm considering sending the kids to school in the UK, but it would have to be with my wife and I would remain working in the U.S thus meeting all financial requirements.

Has anybody done this? My family has only visited and never resided.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocate my U.S. Spouse/Dual child to UK without me

To live in the UK your wife would need a visa.

Options:

- work visa
- student visa
- investment visa
- settlement visa (this would depend on YOU sponsoring her with you (at least initially) living and working in UK)

If wife has European ancestry then obtaining a European passport would mean she could live in UK.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

My job is U.S. based and non-transferable so my moving back isn't an option. My wife wouldn't need to work, but would be the parent looking after our British children. Sponsoring her wouldn't be an issue as long as I don't have to be there too.

She's Italian going back 4 or 5 generations, and with patchy paperwork that's probably not a realistic option.

Seems I'd have to send my kids to stay with relatives which breaks up the family and doesn't make much sense?
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flynn423
My job is U.S. based and non-transferable so my moving back isn't an option. My wife wouldn't need to work, but would be the parent looking after our British children. Sponsoring her wouldn't be an issue as long as I don't have to be there too.

She's Italian going back 4 or 5 generations, and with patchy paperwork that's probably not a realistic option.

Seems I'd have to send my kids to stay with relatives which breaks up the family and doesn't make much sense?
It makes as much sense as an American living in the UK with American children and a British wife.

If he wanted to send his children to school in the States and he did not want to relocate to the States, he could quite happily send his children to the States but his wife would not be able to go without a relevant visa - and she would not get a settlement visa without him going with her.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

It's very strange folk from other nations can plant their whole families into the UK, seemingly without restrictions, but a British citizen married for 20 years can't send his British kids home with their mother (who doesn't need to work) now they're school age.
Yet I'm sure I could find a Polish Nanny to look after them, which is apparently preferable to their own mum.
Bizzare.
Thank you. I guess boarding school, an au-pair, or an extended family member are the only options.

Last edited by flynn423; Jun 2nd 2017 at 7:40 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 9:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's very strange folk from other nations can plant their whole families into the UK, seemingly without restrictions, but a British citizen married for 20 years can't send his British kids home with their mother (who doesn't need to work) now they're school age.
Yet I'm sure I could find a Polish Nanny to look after them, which is apparently preferable to their own mum.
Bizzare.
Thank you. I guess boarding school, an au-pair, or an extended family member are the only options.
Can they? Can they really? Strange that, 'cause when my family (Canadian) wanted to emigrate to the UK we weren't eligible for a visa.

I'm sure your children could be schooled in the same country where their parents live if you truly don't want to break up the family. Surely that's preferable to having a nanny or au pair raise them.

For an immigrant you have a very large chip on your shoulder about other immigrants.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to be separated from your wife and kids? I'm confused?
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Why would you want to be separated from your wife and kids? I'm confused?
My thought too...... surely US schools aren't that bad !
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Many expats send their kids to boarding school in UK, always have. Asians in particular think a few years in a UK school will be of great future benefit for their kids. Mum doesn't go with them! Yes, if you have family they can stay with whilst at school that would be the best solution if you are determined for them to have a UK education. However, as San Diego Girl says, are US schools that Bad??
Oh, a Polish nanny is OK 'cos Poland is in the EU so Freedom of movement applies which trumps Mum staying with the kids if she's not an EU national.Does your wife qualify for an Italian passport? If so then getting her one, if possible, will solve your problem as she can then remain in UK under Freedom of Movement rules. Stupid, but that's the law as it currently stands.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There is a reason why boarding schools exist.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 5:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Is he trying to satisfy residence requirements for UK University domestic fees? I don't think sending them to boarding school will work for that.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Our solution to getting around the unstisfactory American education system (if that is indeed the OP's motivation) was for me to home school our daughter. Didn't turn out too badly either. If you can afford to have mum stay home I can recommend it.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

We've met quite a few Mums in Winchester that send their kids to Pilgrims School and as far as I know it's the kid that holds the visa and Mum 'tags along' based on that. They are mostly Chinese (as they're the only ones that can afford it). I don't know the ins and outs but it seems like it can be done. I only know this because Mrs TB goes to lunch with them now and then, I guess because of her they think we're rich
Old Jun 8th 2017, 7:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do look into this - I have a work colleague who has Italian ancestry from 3-4 generations ago and she has just been granted Citizenship, with very little proof required.

"CITIZENSHIP AS A RESULT OF ITALIAN PARENTS/ANCESTORS (“iure sanguinis”)
Children of Italian parents (mother or father) who are Italian citizens. Citizenship is passed on from parent to child without limitation of generation, on the condition that none of the ancestors has ever renounced their citizenship"

(Transmission of citizenship through maternal lineage is possible only for persons born after January 1st 1948)

Citizenship

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought; somewhat ironically if your children weren't British citizens and required a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK then your wife could have obtained a special 12 month visitor visa on account of her children being schooled in the UK, but since they are, she can't.