Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Reload this Page driest and warmest city in England?

Reload this Page driest and warmest city in England?

Old May 23rd 2015, 4:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reload this Page driest and warmest city in England?

I've lived in Yorkshire and Cheshire. The east of the Pennines is colder than west of the Pennines...winters are longer and usually colder. West of the Pennines is wetter than the east but has shorter winters.
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You are living in the Netherlands .... why don't you just visit the UK and find out about these places.

You say you are only 22 but visited the UK with husband several years ago ??

Can you move to live in the UK - as a US citizen you can only visit.
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

tigerbolt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You are living in the Netherlands .... why don't you just visit the UK and find out about these places.

You say you are only 22 but visited the UK with husband several years ago ??

Can you move to live in the UK - as a US citizen you can only visit.
Yes I'm currently living in the Netherlands We have visited the UK and I loved it! My husband was my fiance at the time ha ha. I would love to pick a few cities in England and visit them in the future, so I could see if I enjoy them. But I'm narrowing the list down so far. I do have U.S. citizenship, but I plan to take the inburgernexam here and get Dutch citizenship as well So I would be able to go to the UK if I wanted to in the future.
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tigerbolt
But I do have U.S. citizenship, but I plan to take the inburgernexam here and get Dutch citizenship as well So I would be able to go to the UK if I wanted to in the future.
You're a long way off citizenship though if you've only been there 18 months, so you've got loads of time to research and visit the UK.

Is your husband Dutch?

If your long term aim is move back to CA, do check the rules re: dual nationality in the Netherlands - I could be completely wrong but I thought the Netherlands didn't allow dual nationality except in certain rare circumstances so you'd have to renounce your U.S. Citizenship to get it?
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're a long way off citizenship though if you've only been there 18 months, so you've got loads of time to research and visit the UK.

Is your husband Dutch?

If your long term aim is move back to CA, do check the rules re: dual nationality in the Netherlands - I could be completely wrong but I thought the Netherlands didn't allow dual nationality except in certain rare circumstances so you'd have to renounce your U.S. Citizenship to get it?
I'm not too far off from citizenship actually I'm studying for the inburgernexam and I just need to pass it. But of course it does take a while! Yes my husband is Dutch!

My long term aim isn't really to move back to California since it's so expensive, but maybe another U.S. state, who knows? We will just see how things go. Your right, the Netherlands normally doesn't allow Dual Citizenship except in certain situations. But because we were married before we started the immigration process, I'm able to keep my citizenship as well as get Dutch citizenship I've already asked the Dutch embassy and immigration lawyers about it
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's three years residence if you're married to a Dutch citizen. The requirement to renounce your existing citizenship is also waived if you're married to a Dutch citizen.
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too far off from citizenship actually I'm studying for the inburgernexam and I just need to pass it. But of course it does take a while! Yes my husband is Dutch!
Ah, I thought the inburgering exam was just for 'integration' and not citizenship, and that you needed a few years in the Netherlands before citizenship? That's good then.

And good that you can keep your U.S. Citizenship too, I guess that's because your husband is Dutch.

Good luck!
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's three years residence if you're married to a Dutch citizen. The requirement to renounce your existing citizenship is also waived if you're married to a Dutch citizen.
That's true! I'm pretty lucky everything works out
Old May 23rd 2015, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Ah, I thought the inburgering exam was just for 'integration' and not citizenship, and that you needed a few years in the Netherlands before citizenship? That's good then.

And good that you can keep your U.S. Citizenship too, I guess that's because your husband is Dutch.

Good luck!
Well once you pass the integration exam, you just sent it to the government and I can get dual citizenship The only thing needed for me is just to pass the inburgernexam. It's almost been 2 years since I've been here and I can actually file within 3 years! But I have until May 4th, 2017 to get everything finished But yes it is very good!

I'm really happy I'm able to keep my U.S. citizenship and get Dutch! It really is a blessing.
Old May 23rd 2015, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is your husband Dutch?

I thought the EU ruled against its members doing this a while ago. My friend is from Belgium but has lived in the U.S. for decades. She only became a USC a few years ago as Belgium didn't allow dual citizenship...but it was overturned by an EU directive.
Old May 23rd 2015, 9:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought the EU ruled against its members doing this a while ago. My friend is from Belgium but has lived in the U.S. for decades. She only became a USC a few years ago as Belgium didn't allow dual citizenship...but it was overturned by an EU directive.
There's no EU directive that requires its members to allow dual nationality. Many EU countries still heavily restrict circumstances under which dual nationality is allowed, i.e. the Netherlands, Austria and Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multip...an_microstates
Old May 23rd 2015, 9:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Becoming a Dutch national | Dutch nationality | Government.nl

under the Naturalization heading lower in the page

"In most cases you will have to give up any other nationalities. However, you will not have to give up your other nationality if:

the country that you come from does not allow you to;
you were born and currently live in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao or St Maarten;
you are married to a Dutch national;
you are a refugee and live in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao or St Maarten."
Old May 25th 2015, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone!

I'm originally from California, but for the past year and a half, I've been living in the Netherlands with my husband. I do like the Netherlands a lot, but I just haven't ever felt like it's where I belong if it makes sense. It's impossible for me to find a job here (Learning Dutch at the moment but it's taking a while since it's a difficult language), and I could never connect with the people here since they have a different personality than English speaking countries. I felt like Dutch people can be critical, judgmental, not very friendly, stubborn, and a bit closed minded. I'm not saying all Dutch people are like this, but I noticed it's the mindset of most Dutch people in general. Besides the obvious language barrier, I just never felt comfortable or connected here. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Netherlands and have met a lot of wonderful people. But I just feel trapped here and that I have no solid future.

I would love to move back to the U.S. in the future, but it won't be for a long time since there's a lot of expenses and preparation. I really wish I could move to a warm country in Europe like Spain, Portugal, Greece, or Italy since I'm the happiest in warm weather and absolutely late cold weather. But unfortunately the economy/job market isn't doing so well in those countries and the obvious language barrier. So I've been considering the thought of possibly moving to England. Me and my husband visited a few years ago and I absolutely loved it there. I thought it could be a better change for me since I could get a job and I feel like I connect with the people more. I know England isn't the warmest country, but I would love to move to the driest and warmest city in England (It being Sunny would be a extra Plus) since I don't like the cold very much. I absolutely hate cold winters, so I would love to live somewhere that had mild winters and possibly no snow or a lot of rain. I wonder is England a bit warmer than the Netherlands (partially Den-Haag)? Please let me know for your suggestions for the driest and warmest city in England would be and why you pick that city. I've done some research and found a lot of people said Devon, Cornwall, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Yorkshire, Bristol, Sussex, and Dorset. Do you think any of the cities above fit my criteria, or is there a better one? Thank you guys!
Not many places in the South of England would have more sunshine hours than Den Haag, but in general it's all oceanic climate. I wouldn't just focus on which place is the warmest/sunniest, because quality of life includes lots of other things. You also have to consider other points, like is the home warm, do you want a garden that actually gets sun? We're all different, but I wouldn't see the point of 300 more sunshine hours a year, if I can only afford a tiny apartment that doesn't have outside space. Then I'd rather have 300 hours less, but actually have a garden that gets the sun. Some locations might also have a lot more light in summer and a walled garden can feel a lot warmer than an open location down south. Overall it's the whole package that counts and we're lucky enough to have a good amount of holidays. Spain is just around the corner if you want hot weather and holidays are affordable enough. Even a holiday home is cheap enough these days.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

A report last night on one of the programmes we were watching said that the Isle of Wight is the sunniest and warmest weather in the U.K other than that the south east of England seem to have the driest weather. Good luck with your search
Old May 31st 2015, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

One vote for Cambridge from me - I was in Norwich the other day where it was a bit chillier than home in Cambridge and a chap was sitting on the grass pontificating to his mate about the desirable Cambridge microclimate! I think he's right - we don't get much (enough?) rain, we seem to have a great deal of sunshine and I've not found it cold at all really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.