Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on US to U.K. moving company

Recommendations on US to U.K. moving company

Old Feb 3rd 2017, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations on US to U.K. moving company

We just watched our 20 ft container leave our home yesterday. We paid $7800 for house to house pack out for Houston to Aberdeen. Insurance was $1200. Insurance was variable based on what level we chose. We had 235 boxes and they filled it to the gills! Note the lower price another posted here was for 87 boxes.

The reason why we chose Schumacher was they were the only one of 4 quotes had volume only, not weight and volume. We didn't want to watch the bill rise at the weighing station as there would be no way to reverse the decision. We also chose Schumacher as the receiving company on the other end is Clark and Rose, and they did our service from Scotland very well seven years ago.

We talked to Graebel who was most expensive $9500 plus cost of insurance with the 40' at $12000. A few Allied shippers came in about in the middle.

Mark is an Aussie who was managed many UK shipments resides in California. We were please all around.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

TiaMaria57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
We just watched our 20 ft container leave our home yesterday. We paid $7800 for house to house pack out for Houston to Aberdeen. Insurance was $1200. Insurance was variable based on what level we chose. We had 235 boxes and they filled it to the gills! Note the lower price another posted here was for 87 boxes.

The reason why we chose Schumacher was they were the only one of 4 quotes had volume only, not weight and volume. We didn't want to watch the bill rise at the weighing station as there would be no way to reverse the decision. We also chose Schumacher as the receiving company on the other end is Clark and Rose, and they did our service from Scotland very well seven years ago.

We talked to Graebel who was most expensive $9500 plus cost of insurance with the 40' at $12000. A few Allied shippers came in about in the middle.

Mark is an Aussie who was managed many UK shipments resides in California. We were please all around.
Interesting information, thank you for posting. Schumacher is our favourite shipper at present because like you they quoted us on volume and not weight and said we can stuff as much in we like! They quoted us an extra $500 for this volume part when we said we wanted to fill it and they came in at $8,500. As you say, all other Shippers so far have quoted us on weight. Perhaps that to do with the local packers since we feel the more weight they have the more they want to charge. Yours seems a good price going to Aberdeen.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito

Excellent price and good info. Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

All our boxes arrived today on time and were unpacked by 2 really, really competent, helpful and cheerful guys.

Denise at Atlas International was excellent, overseeing the whole moving process from initial quote to final delivery. Both carriers, Road Runner in Texas and Fox Moving in England could not have been better.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
All our boxes arrived today on time and were unpacked by 2 really, really competent, helpful and cheerful guys.

Denise at Atlas International was excellent, overseeing the whole moving process from initial quote to final delivery. Both carriers, Road Runner in Texas and Fox Moving in England could not have been better.
durham_lad.....So pleased that everything went well for you. I've been in contact with your Atlas agent and I'm waiting for her to get back to me. I've been told that it's much cheaper to move from Houston because the dray costs are cheaper than from we are based. The longer the haul to port the more costly it is!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57
durham_lad.....So pleased that everything went well for you. I've been in contact with your Atlas agent and I'm waiting for her to get back to me. I've been told that it's much cheaper to move from Houston because the dray costs are cheaper than from we are based. The longer the haul to port the more costly it is!
That makes sense, we live quite close to the port of Houston which has a very large container port.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
That makes sense, we live quite close to the port of Houston which has a very large container port.
Maybe we should move to Houston!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe we should move to Houston!
That may be a false economy
Old Feb 14th 2017, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

cxjones is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Elgin, IL (Chicago is close) and I am moving back to the northwest of England as soon as my place here sells.

I do not have any furniture I plan on shipping, but I do have a bunch of tools and other stuff I want to ship back to my new home.

I will not need a full container - any recommendations

Can someone send me the details for Atlas to please?

Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cxjones
I live in Elgin, IL (Chicago is close) and I am moving back to the northwest of England as soon as my place here sells.

I do not have any furniture I plan on shipping, but I do have a bunch of tools and other stuff I want to ship back to my new home.

Thanks
Hey, we're neighbors. I live in Schaumburg.

Others can probably help more, but the smallest container I've seen is 20ft. I've also read about shared containers...? Maybe that's a thing?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cxjones

Thanks
This contact may help you. His name is Herman Jensen of Planes Companies based in Chicago. Planes Companies are huge and are agents for United Van Lines and Herman was most helpful. He travels to the UK often transporting container loads of antiques over here. His price for a 20 ft container to Yorkshire was around $7600. They move all kinds of stuff. Go to : Planescompanies.com and click locations to select the Chicago Office. Ph : (630) 851-3700 and ask to speak to him. Good luck and hope it helps.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

This contact may help you. His name is Herman Jensen of Planes Companies based in Chicago. Planes Companies are huge and are agents for United Van Lines and Herman was most helpful. He travels to the UK often transporting container loads of antiques over here. His price for a 20 ft container to Yorkshire was around $7600. They move all kinds of stuff. Go to : Planescompanies.com and click locations to select the Chicago Office. Ph : (630) 851-3700 and ask to speak to him. Good luck and hope it helps.
This is great thank you!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Hey, we're neighbors. I live in Schaumburg.

Others can probably help more, but the smallest container I've seen is 20ft. I've also read about shared containers...? Maybe that's a thing?
I lived in Schaumburg for a while.

I had a friend move back years ago and he used a shared container maybe the way to go.

Do you have contact info for Atlas?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I will give them a shot - Thank you
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
.... the smallest container I've seen is 20ft. ....
10ft containers exist, but they're only slightly more common than hens' teeth. I think I have seen two in my life.

The OP does indeed need a shared container. I'd contact freight forwarders for quotes for a small load.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.