Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on US to U.K. moving company

Recommendations on US to U.K. moving company

Old Jan 27th 2017, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Recommendations on US to U.K. moving company

Hey guys,

Has anyone had a particular good experience with a moving company from the US back to the U.K.? I particular one that doesn't cost the earth.

We had a company come over to do a quote and our small 2 bedroom townhouse came out to about $10k. I might be naive to the costs, but I'm thinking there must be cheaper options. Obviously trying to weigh up the cost benefit to paying $10k to ship back furniture that probably isn't worth half that (plus shipping back to the US if we come back).

One idea might be to take back the minimum and try to get the cheapest possible storage option here in the US and leave stuff for a few years...

Any thoughts on moving companies would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Old Jan 28th 2017, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations on US to U.K. moving company

We are in the middle of a move from Texas to England at present and are using Atlas who are costing $4,250 for a 20' container for our 2 bedroom apartment.

The largest quote was from United Van Lines at $11,700. Amazing difference.

Atlas did all the packing for us, total of 87 boxes, and very professionally done. We haven't received the shipment yet so can't comment on the quality of the total job.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

TiaMaria57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We are in the middle of a move from Texas to England at present and are using Atlas who are costing $4,250 for a 20' container for our 2 bedroom apartment.

The largest quote was from United Van Lines at $11,700. Amazing difference.

Atlas did all the packing for us, total of 87 boxes, and very professionally done. We haven't received the shipment yet so can't comment on the quality of the total job.
We had Atlas round to do a survey on Friday, now awaiting their quote. Durham_lad....did you originally contact Atlas's International Dept? Your contact wouldn't have been Brian R by any chance? We're in NC and have had quotes from between $9k and the lowest been $7,500 for a 20ft container sole use, shipping approximately the same amount as you. I'm hoping Atlas quote us as low as you, since your charge seems particularly reasonable and from TX. Well done!
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57
We had Atlas round to do a survey on Friday, now awaiting their quote. Durham_lad....did you originally contact Atlas's International Dept? Your contact wouldn't have been Brian R by any chance? We're in NC and have had quotes from between $9k and the lowest been $7,500 for a 20ft container sole use, shipping approximately the same amount as you. I'm hoping Atlas quote us as low as you, since your charge seems particularly reasonable and from TX. Well done!
We went online and entered all the details on the Atlas site and after a while got an estimate from a lady called Wendy who has been a great communicator. Following the estimate which we liked she put us in touch with a local company Road Runner in Houston to arrange for an assessor to come out for a detailed estimate. A few days after his visit we received an updated estimate which was a little lower than the original. Road Runner did all the packing and sealing of the sole use container and invited me to take a photo of the seal on the container (they also took a photo) so that we would know on arrival if the container had been opened.

A few days later we got the final bill after the container had been weighed and the cost was back up a little, very close to the original estimate. Insurance is separate where you can go on weight only or list out valuable articles.

I'll be able to give an overall assessment after the container is delivered and unpacked.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

We went online and entered all the details on the Atlas site and after a while got an estimate from a lady called Wendy who has been a great communicator. Following the estimate which we liked she put us in touch with a local company Road Runner in Houston to arrange for an assessor to come out for a detailed estimate. A few days after his visit we received an updated estimate which was a little lower than the original. Road Runner did all the packing and sealing of the sole use container and invited me to take a photo of the seal on the container (they also took a photo) so that we would know on arrival if the container had been opened.

A few days later we got the final bill after the container had been weighed and the cost was back up a little, very close to the original estimate. Insurance is separate where you can go on weight only or list out valuable articles.

I'll be able to give an overall assessment after the container is delivered and unpacked.
Thanks for your detail. Sadly we don't have Road Runner in our area. Just hope our local Atlas agent is as efficient as your was. Please post an update when the container finally arrives and if you had any customs clearance problems and if all its contents arrived intact. Thanks.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

This is great info, thanks guys.

I will certainly get a quote from Atlas. Is your Wendy contact local to you, or is she national? If she is, send over her email if poss and I'll give her a shout (I'm in Chicago).

Please do report back here on your experiences!

Thanks again.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
This is great info, thanks guys.

I will certainly get a quote from Atlas. Is your Wendy contact local to you, or is she national? If she is, send over her email if poss and I'll give her a shout (I'm in Chicago).

Please do report back here on your experiences!

Thanks again.
Wendy's phone number is in Seattle although I never actually needed to call her, everything was handled via email.

I will try and remember to report back here once the container clears Customs, arrives and is unpacked.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Wendy's phone number is in Seattle although I never actually needed to call her, everything was handled via email.

I will try and remember to report back here once the container clears Customs, arrives and is unpacked.
You wouldn't happen to have her phone number would you durham_lad? My Atlas contact was in Springfield, Virginia. We'd be most grateful if you could share it or even her email address. Thank you.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

You wouldn't happen to have her phone number would you durham_lad? My Atlas contact was in Springfield, Virginia. We'd be most grateful if you could share it or even her email address. Thank you.
I've sent you a PM.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

I've sent you a PM.
PM'd you too.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

An update on Atlas Van Lines charges for our move back to the UK: After our local move consultant came last Friday from Smith Dray Line (Atlas agent in our area of NC), we have been quoted $13,700 for a 20 ft container! Nothing like what durham_lad was quoted, but our quote was initiated though Atlas's office in Springfield, VA. It appears that the local moving company want a very large slice for themselves and we are even packing some of the boxes ourselves since my husband will not let anyone near his delicate electronics! As you can imagine....it's a 'No Go' since they're way more than any other quote we've had.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

An update on Atlas Van Lines charges for our move back to the UK: After our local move consultant came last Friday from Smith Dray Line (Atlas agent in our area of NC), we have been quoted $13,700 for a 20 ft container! Nothing like what durham_lad was quoted, but our quote was initiated though Atlas's office in Springfield, VA. It appears that the local moving company want a very large slice for themselves and we are even packing some of the boxes ourselves since my husband will not let anyone near his delicate electronics! As you can imagine....it's a 'No Go' since they're way more than any other quote we've had.
That quote seems much more in line with what United Vanlines quoted for us, $11,700. I think we have been very fortunate indeed.

Yesterday I had an email from the UK movers, Fox Movers, to confirm arrival in Southampton is on schedule for the 4th (Saturday) and that they expect to be able deliver the container about 4 days later, exact date to be advised after arrival in port and clearance through customs.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

That quote seems much more in line with what United Vanlines quoted for us, $11,700. I think we have been very fortunate indeed.

Yesterday I had an email from the UK movers, Fox Movers, to confirm arrival in Southampton is on schedule for the 4th (Saturday) and that they expect to be able deliver the container about 4 days later, exact date to be advised after arrival in port and clearance through customs.
So glad everything appears to be going smoothly for you....fingers crossed it continues that way.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just so everyone has it, my quote from John Mason international movers for 20ft container was $9858. For a 40ft it was $10962.

They originally quoted for 40ft and I was shocked at the cost. I asked them to quote for 20ft but as you can see, there isn't much difference. If I could get the 40ft down a couple grand, I'd feel better.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Just so everyone has it, my quote from John Mason international movers for 20ft container was $9858. For a 40ft it was $10962.

They originally quoted for 40ft and I was shocked at the cost. I asked them to quote for 20ft but as you can see, there isn't much difference. If I could get the 40ft down a couple grand, I'd feel better.
Good info.

We'll be going through this again later this year helping our son move from his apartment in Texas to England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.