Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A question about UK spouse visas and savings.

A question about UK spouse visas and savings.

Old Aug 25th 2017, 12:54 am
Banned

gk3064 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question about UK spouse visas and savings.

Hello,

I am a British person in the UK, not working but currently in receipt of a care based benefit.

My partner (overseas) and I have 28000 pounds in savings.

Could anyone with experience explain how this could influence our case regarding adequate maintaince?

from the UKBA/UKVI documentation...

"3.3. Cash savings
Specified cash savings may be used instead of or in addition to income in assessing
whether the adequate maintenance requirement is met.
Under paragraph 12A(e) of Appendix FM-SE to the Immigration Rules, paragraphs 11 and

Appendix FM 1.7A Adequate Maintenance & Accommodation

August 2015

11A of Appendix FM-SE apply where the cash savings of the applicant or their partner,
parent, parent’s partner or sponsor are relied upon in full or in part to meet an adequate
maintenance requirement under Appendix FM. The level of cash savings relied upon must
have been held by the person (or by them and their partner jointly) for a period of at least 6
months prior to the date of application and must be under their control.
Cash savings can be held in any form of bank/savings account which allows immediate
access to the funds (with or without a penalty for withdrawing funds without notice). This can
include savings held in a pension savings account which can be immediately withdrawn. For
the current requirements as to the cash savings which may be used and the specified
evidence which must be provided, decision makers should refer to paragraphs 11 and 11A of
Appendix FM-SE. All cash savings which meet those rules can be counted towards meeting
the adequate maintenance requirement and not just those above £16,000 which is the
amount above which savings can be counted towards meeting the minimum income
threshold. If the total savings figure fluctuates over the period of 6 months prior to the date of
the application, decision makers should use the lowest figure evidenced for that period."
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about UK spouse visas and savings.

Originally Posted by gk3064
Hello,

I am a British person in the UK, not working but currently in receipt of a care based benefit.

My partner (overseas) and I have 28000 pounds in savings.

Could anyone with experience explain how this could influence our case regarding adequate maintaince?

The formula is I = £18600 - [(S-16000)/2.5]

Thus, with Savings of £28,000, the annual Income you need is £13,800.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The formula is I = £18600 - [(S-16000)/2.5]

Thus, with Savings of £28,000, the annual Income you need is £13,800.
thank for replying. may I ask, do you have experience with immigration cases such as this?

with a carers based benefit I only receive 62 pounds a week, which is much lower than the 13,800 pounds you mentioned.

are you sure you are correct? I need 13800 pounds more before I we can apply?

Last edited by gk3064; Aug 25th 2017 at 6:19 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

thank for replying. may I ask, do you have experience with immigration cases such as this?

with a carers based benefit I only receive 62 pounds a week, which is much lower than the 13,800 pounds you mentioned.

are you sure you are correct? I need 13800 pounds more before I we can apply?
No, I'm relieved to say, I don't in person. But thanks to the ridiculous policies introduced by Theresa May as Home Secretary in 2012, I'm afraid that you need to come up with an additional £10,576 annual income before you can sponsor your spouse (assuming s/he's not an EU citizen).
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

What kind of care based benefit you are receiving?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

Have a look at section 3.6 (page 15) and if you receive any of the benefits listed there, you will only need to prove evidence of 'adequate maintenance' rather than meeting the £18,600 income threshold.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, I'm relieved to say, I don't in person. But thanks to the ridiculous policies introduced by Theresa May as Home Secretary in 2012, I'm afraid that you need to come up with an additional £10,576 annual income before you can sponsor your spouse (assuming s/he's not an EU citizen).
OK, I hate to burst your bubble but you know little of immigration rules. I stated above, I am in receipt of a care based benefit therefore I don't need to meet the finical requirement of 18,600 pounds.

Do you think I would go on a forum asking simple questions instead of researching it myself. No I wouldnt, my situation is much more complicated.

I am receipt of a certain care based benefit, therefore I am exempt from the 18600 pound salary requirement.

Instead people in receipt of certain benefits need to meet the adequate maintaince requirement for a married couple.

As of 2017 this figure is set at 113.70 pounds.

So as I am in receipt of 62 pounds a week from the DWP, and I have 28000 pounds in savings.

Therefore I need to meet the short fall of about fifty quid a week.

The appendix online says saving above 16000 will count towards a decision but it doesnt say how much.

If you cant answer that question dont bother typing out stuff on this forum and wasting my time.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HKG3
What kind of care based benefit you are receiving?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

Have a look at section 3.6 (page 15) and if you receive any of the benefits listed there, you will only need to prove evidence of 'adequate maintenance' rather than meeting the £18,600 income threshold.

No offence you arent giving out any advice regarding my situation like the other user posting stuff. Obviously I hate already read that information. Posting information here is last resort.

1) I receive a relevant care based benefit, if I wasnt I wouldnt be posting here at all.

2) I am aware of the adequate maintenance level decided by the government and the shortfall I have to make up.

3) I am asking about how much my savings of 28000 pounds will be counted towards adequate maintenance, the information online, Appendix FM says amounts above and below can 16000 pounds can be counted towards a decision but it doesnt say how its calculated.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I hate to burst your bubble but you know little of immigration rules. I stated above, I am in receipt of a care based benefit therefore I don't need to meet the finical requirement of 18,600 pounds.

Do you think I would go on a forum asking simple questions instead of researching it myself. No I wouldnt, my situation is much more complicated.

I am receipt of a certain care based benefit, therefore I am exempt from the 18600 pound salary requirement.

Instead people in receipt of certain benefits need to meet the adequate maintaince requirement for a married couple.

As of 2017 this figure is set at 113.70 pounds.

So as I am in receipt of 62 pounds a week from the DWP, and I have 28000 pounds in savings.

Therefore I need to meet the short fall of about fifty quid a week.

The appendix online says saving above 16000 will count towards a decision but it doesnt say how much.

If you cant answer that question dont bother typing out stuff on this forum and wasting my time.
You're either a very rude person, or you're a troll. No one here EVER claims to be an expert, BE's a community of people who have personal experience of emigrating from, or immigrating to the UK. Sometimes these volunteers get it wrong - in which case someone with more knowledge will invariably come along with the information sought.

If you want to be rude to people who are only trying to assist you, maybe pay a registered agent for advice - at least that way they'll be getting paid to be verbally abused

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 25th 2017 at 6:55 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You're either a very rude person, or you're a troll. No one here EVER claims to be an expert, BE's a community of people who have personal experience of emigrating from, or immigrating to the UK.

If you want to be rude to people who are only trying to assist you, maybe pay a registered agent for advice - at least that way they'll be getting paid to be verbally abused
on forums like this I dont tell people to read through pdfs on topics the OP has already researched.

I dont go about this forum giving out advice to anyone cause Im not an expert.

"Why dont you try breathing oxygen?"
Old Aug 25th 2017, 6:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

on forums like this I dont tell people to read through pdfs on topics the OP has already researched.

<yawn>
Old Aug 25th 2017, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I was going to post with some info, but, having seen the OP's responses, I won't bother.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

gj3064...

On a public forum you will almost always get replies you don't care for...that's the nature of the beast. If you don't like the advice/comments ignore them or put the person on 'ignore'.

Our members have tried to be helpful...maybe it wasn't the help you were looking for but hey ho they tried.

Top Tip: if you want to receive further help/advice I suggest it is you that tries breathing oxygen.

Edit: thread closed.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 25th 2017 at 9:03 pm.