Reload this Page >

question about giving up Greencard

question about giving up Greencard

Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

flagunitas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question about giving up Greencard

Hi,

My wife and I recently moved back to the UK. I was just about to send in my greencard to give it up when we had an unexpected death in the family So i just entered again with my GC.I've just came back to the UK since the funeral and was going to send it in to give it up.

My question is : I have a sales meeting in the US( i work for a US company) in September. Should I still send it in now or wait until I get back from the sales meeting?

Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about giving up Greencard

The question I think you need to ask is, can you send the GC back and renounce your permanent resident status and have that all complete before the trip in September. You would need to be able to do that in order to apply for an ESTA to enter under the VWP.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:30 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flagunitas
Hi,

My wife and I recently moved back to the UK. I was just about to send in my greencard to give it up when we had an unexpected death in the family So i just entered again with my GC.I've just came back to the UK since the funeral and was going to send it in to give it up.

My question is : I have a sales meeting in the US( i work for a US company) in September. Should I still send it in now or wait until I get back from the sales meeting?

Thanks
You can complete the I-407 at the consulate or when you arrive at the port of entry. I'd suggest that you consider applying for a visitor visa while simultaneously surrendering the LPR status at the consulate. The consulate is often accommodating in that regard and it could be helpful, especially if any eggs were broken during the road to obtaining the green card.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

I mailed from I 407 and applied for ESTA in the same week. I carried a copy of I 407 when I flew in case of questions but was never asked about my green card at immigration.

And I never received any confirmation that my form had been received and I know I am not the only one not to receive confirmation so I am not sure if it is even sent.