Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Question about gift/loan from US family

Question about gift/loan from US family

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about gift/loan from US family

We're trying to buy a house right now. My wife's family have offered us a family friendly loan. plus a gift of a downpayment.

Can anyone help me in terms of tax issues?

If they gift us £100,000 and loan us £100,000 what tax implications will we suffer in the US or the UK?

The loan is at near-zero interest. They want to be paid back with payments based on a 25 year schedule, but they want us to pay them off in total by the 10-year point. So we're thinking that we will get a small UK mortgage for now here, use the gift as a downpayment then use the loan to fund the rest of the house.

Then in 10 years we'll re-do the mortgage and mortgage the remaining balance from the USA loan with a UK mortgage.

Can anyone help with my tax questions:

1. Is the gift taxable? US or UK?
2. Is the loan amount taxable? US or UK?

Argh!

Thanks so much!
MrM
Old Sep 24th 2016, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about gift/loan from US family

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
We're trying to buy a house right now. My wife's family have offered us a family friendly loan. plus a gift of a downpayment.

Can anyone help me in terms of tax issues?

If they gift us £100,000 and loan us £100,000 what tax implications will we suffer in the US or the UK?

The loan is at near-zero interest. They want to be paid back with payments based on a 25 year schedule, but they want us to pay them off in total by the 10-year point. So we're thinking that we will get a small UK mortgage for now here, use the gift as a downpayment then use the loan to fund the rest of the house.

Then in 10 years we'll re-do the mortgage and mortgage the remaining balance from the USA loan with a UK mortgage.

Can anyone help with my tax questions:

1. Is the gift taxable? US or UK?
2. Is the loan amount taxable? US or UK?

Argh!

Thanks so much!
MrM
Hello
In the UK, gifts of money up to £325k per individual are "potentially exempt transfers" which fall out of the tax system after 7 years. Therefore a couple can gift £650k.
Gifts greater than £325k are taxable transfers where the tax liability is borne by the donor.
I think that if the gift is made in the US then it is entirely a US matter and you are simply transferring your money to the UK with no UK tax implications.
If your deposit gift is under £325k then basically the UK is not interested.
Loans are not taxable and do not need to be declared to the UK.
I have discussed cash gifts with a US friend and I know that there is a limit each year as far as US tax is concerned. You would have to Google what the current limits are.
I have no idea what US rules are on loans but you could Google that also.
If you have a formal written agreement for the loan with specified interest then I would have thought that the interest payments would be declared on the US tax return.
Capital isn't taxed in the UK but income (interest) is.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about gift/loan from US family

Thank you Cyrian for your information. I will dig further. Thanks again.