Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Quaint villages around York/Leeds

Quaint villages around York/Leeds

Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:48 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quaint villages around York/Leeds

Hi G&M,

We've seen a house we quite like in Copmanthorpe although it' s not quite as period as we'd like. Will check out Bishopthorpe.
I also liked Tadcaster when we've driven through it BUT the John Smiths brewery is there and the place constantly pongs of yeast etc.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I want to live in York, but i can't afford to
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:19 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I want to live in York, but i can't afford to
Neither can I but looks like we'll somehow have to!

ANYHOO, I don't plan on paying anywhere near the asking prices.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi guys,

Struggling to find what we're looking for ( for what money we've got ) in York itself, house wise.
Anyone know any gorgeous villages with local ammenities around York or Leeds as that's where we'll be working.
I've been looking for ages but not finding what we want near to York especially. I've checked out all the main vilages.
I seem to find our dream home everywhere else tho!

If Rightmove.co.uk gave bonuses for how many times you used their service- I'd be well rich!

*pearly*
Try these people:

http://www.propertyworld.com/folder....sortOrder/DESC

I would imagine that you closer you get to Leeds, the more you will pay. But that is the price for living in paradise.

What about the North Yorkshire moors area, very reasonable.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 14th 2008 at 4:45 am.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 5:33 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Hi John,

Too far to travel to and from when we're working in York/Leeds.
Will check out that link. Cheers,

*pearly*
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi guys,

Struggling to find what we're looking for ( for what money we've got ) in York itself, house wise.
Anyone know any gorgeous villages with local ammenities around York or Leeds as that's where we'll be working.
I've been looking for ages but not finding what we want near to York especially. I've checked out all the main vilages.
I seem to find our dream home everywhere else tho!

If Rightmove.co.uk gave bonuses for how many times you used their service- I'd be well rich!

*pearly*
Hi, have you looked at Green Hammerton, Kirk Hammerton, Whixley, Ouseburn, Cattle, Tockwith? These would all allow easy commute to York (A59) and Leeds (A1)? Not sure what prices are like nowadays, but depends on what size cottage/house you're looking for. Also close to Knaresborough & Harrogate for amenities.

HTH
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:46 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Hmmmmm - will look into those. Cheers for that info!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Harrogate, Harrogate, Harrogate!! Its lovely and its 16 miles to Leeds and 20 to York and the train goes to both. Train line between Leeds/York has places such as Weeton (Huby), Cattal, Green Hammerton etc. I live in Pannal and on the train can be in Leeds in 25 minutes and York in about 40.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:04 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Near York I liked:

Holme on spalding moor
Bishop Burton
Cherry Burton
Bubwith
Skipwith
Eskrick
Weldrake
Elvington

I passed through these to work from Hull to York everyday, but theres heaps more around York with that old country feel to them, they all have adorable little pubs

Youve got me looking at properties there now lol, Im originally from Hull and if we ever return we dont want to be back in the city
DH is from across the river (estuary) and says the same.....he was starting to have anxiety attacks living there....and he worked for Humberside police.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Howden is lovely, as is Snaith and Carlton - all Handy for the M62. I lived in Goole for a number of years, and although that's not exactly what I'd call a quaint village, there are some lovely places around it.