Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Private Health care in the UK?

Private Health care in the UK?

Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Health care in the UK?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Bud, an interesting Wiki extract.

Private health care has continued parallel to the NHS, paid for largely by private insurance, but it is used by less than 8% of the population, and generally as a top-up to NHS services. There are many treatments that the private sector does not provide. For example, health insurance on pregnancy is generally not covered or covered with restricting clauses. Typical exclusions for Bupa schemes (and many other insurers) include:

ageing,
menopause and puberty; AIDS/HIV; allergies or allergic disorders; birth control, conception, sexual problems and sex changes; chronic conditions; complications from excluded or restricted conditions/ treatment; convalescence, rehabilitation and general nursing care ; cosmetic, reconstructive or weight loss treatment; deafness; dental/oral treatment (such as fillings, gum disease, jaw shrinkage, etc); dialysis; drugs and dressings for out-patient or take-home use† ; experimental drugs and treatment; eyesight; HRT and bone densitometry; learning difficulties, behavioural and developmental problems; overseas treatment and repatriation; physical aids and devices; pre-existing or special conditions; pregnancy and childbirth; screening and preventive treatment; sleep problems and disorders; speech disorders; temporary relief of symptoms.[43] († = except in exceptional circumstances)

Health insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's an interesting one - we're all ageing.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's an interesting one - we're all ageing.
Not me Dunroving - every birthday I get a year younger

Yes, that was a strange one and probably not entirely accurate. I'm just trying to give Bud a bit more understanding of the NHS and private insurance - took me ages to get my head around it even a little bit as it's so different from the systems in Oz.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are insurers that offer fully comprehensive private health cover for a specific subset of people of people who are unable to access any free NHS health services at all - although I thought that everyone could access A&E? I'd hate to see the cost of such a policy (one that is entirely independent of the NHS, if such an animal exists!)
Free A&E for everyone, is one of the things that is coming to an end under the new Immigration Act 2014. They have decided to "stop being so generous" with the British National Health Service. The NHS changes won't affect any Brits living in the UK of course, as they are nationals.

The OP isn't in that subset of people - he's trying to get his head around how private insurance meshes (or doesn't) with the NHS - which pays what etc. It can be difficult for a non-Brit to work out, as the NHS is a unique health system.
All I was saying was that there must be these policies in the UK that now offer full cover; even for existing health conditions; as that it what some people living in the UK, must now have. If there isn't, then they will have to pay a lot of extras in addition to their CSI. Perhaps they will have to?

I know that in Oz that you have to buy insurance for some operations and that because that insurance is costly, many risk not taking out those insurances until later in life, when they have a higher risk of needing those operations. It doesn't work like that with the British NHS, as Brits are covered for *some things, for all of the time that they reside in the UK.

*some operations that use to be free on the NHS, are now not offered for free; hence why you see fund raising activities in local papers, to pay for a child's operation that isn't available on the NHS. Even some dentist treatments aren't covered by the NHS 3 band payments.

Some NHS budgets now can't stretch to everyone, even though that treatment is free on the NHS and that department will decide which group to spend their budget on. This is why all the NHS changes are coming in under the Immigration Act 2014 i.e. ending free A&E; the NHS levy; having to prove we are allowed free NHS/companies having to comply with new HMRC real time PAYE since 2013; easier ways to collect NHS debts, etc

When we weren't insured privately through work, we paid for any private treatment ourselves, if we thought the condition warranted it. I did the same with our dogs, I never bought insurance, but every month I put those insurance premiums into our high interest savings account. My sister in law recently paid privately for her knee operation at an NHS hospital, to avoid waiting for an NHS funded operation.

EDIT Here is a list of private operation costs that I just googled.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/private-m...ation-cost.htm

Last edited by formula; Aug 20th 2014 at 3:44 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:39 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I had private health insurance for a few yrs in the UK but I never made a claim and eventually decided it wasn't worth the premiums.

I have paid privately to see a consultant on a few occasions. The cast is usually quite reasonable.
Typos due to typing this on my iPad.