Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pre-1976 Red Book Driving Licence

Pre-1976 Red Book Driving Licence

Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:24 am
Just Joined

richardl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-1976 Red Book Driving Licence

I need to obtain a duplicate of my red book driving licence, the one I had prior to my current green paper driving licence that is valid from 08 10 1976 to 21 09 2019.

Can you help me with this problem?

Can you help me identify the office I need to contact in the UK to obtain my red book driving licence or at least a certificate/declaration confirming my driving licence history prior to 08 10 1976.

I have tried the DVLA but they only give me the details of my current green paper licence but nothing prior to 08 10 1976, whereas I need the details of my driving licence history prior to 08 10 1976.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Richard Lewandowski
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-1976 Red Book Driving Licence

Originally Posted by richardl
I need to obtain a duplicate of my red book driving licence, the one I had prior to my current green paper driving licence that is valid from 08 10 1976 to 21 09 2019.

Can you help me with this problem?

Can you help me identify the office I need to contact in the UK to obtain my red book driving licence or at least a certificate/declaration confirming my driving licence history prior to 08 10 1976.

I have tried the DVLA but they only give me the details of my current green paper licence but nothing prior to 08 10 1976, whereas I need the details of my driving licence history prior to 08 10 1976.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Richard Lewandowski
Never heard of them and no idea why you would need the record, but did a google search and came up with these -

http://www.metadyne.co.uk/pdf_files/...20Licences.pdf

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thin...ng-records.pdf

This second link suggests that there may be no surviving records of the old licences, and if the DVLA do not have a record, I'm not sure where you'd look further.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Never heard of them and no idea why you would need the record, .....
It's hard to imagine what use there could be for driving licence records that are over 40 years old.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If the DVLA cannot help, then i think you are not going to succeed.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 8:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If the DVLA cannot help, then i think you are not going to succeed.
I fully agree, they are the people who have driving histories, and if they can't help, your not gonna get it. I can't imagine just why anyone would need it either.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 9:18 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I fully agree, they are the people who have driving histories, and if they can't help, your not gonna get it. I can't imagine just why anyone would need it either.
What happened back in the 70s? Did we all get new licences from DVLA without having to take any action? (I can't remember.) I mean, I assume the county licensing authorities sent in their current records to DVLA, meaning nothing was retained at county level?
Old Aug 6th 2017, 9:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What happened back in the 70s? Did we all get new licences from DVLA without having to take any action? (I can't remember.) I mean, I assume the county licensing authorities sent in their current records to DVLA, meaning nothing was retained at county level?
Passed my test in 1967, never had anything other that the green paper licence.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 9:27 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Passed my test in 1967, never had anything other that the green paper licence.
Hmm..
I passed mine in 1968 and I started out with a red book licence from Kent County Council. I thought it was 1973 or around then when they changed over to DVLA...
Old Aug 6th 2017, 9:42 am
Concierge

Hmm..
I passed mine in 1968 and I started out with a red book licence from Kent County Council. I thought it was 1973 or around then when they changed over to DVLA...
Just done a Google search and came up with this pdf, and, thinking about it I DID have a red book when I first passed my test, but this was all changed when they created the DVLA.

Old Aug 6th 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

If records of the red book driving licences exist at all they will be on microfilm in the archives of the county council that issued them. There is a slight chance that a local historian would have access to the records and be able to locate one particular record.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have a red book but IIRC when I left home in 1973 I put in a change of address and my red licence was changed to a green one.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 2:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just done a Google search and came up with this pdf, and, thinking about it I DID have a red book when I first passed my test, but this was all changed when they created the DVLA.

see post 2
Old Aug 7th 2017, 6:38 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
see post 2
You're right, hadn't seen the links in your post.. reminder to self, ALWAYS read the whole of the post.