Postcards from England

Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postcards from England

Originally Posted by victorian67
A bright morning from Luxemburg to everyone !

I hope that you are all well and making the most of the summer !

I am nicely settled and very busy at work but I will soon be wandering out and about again to share with you postcards from the 4 Borders Country which includes France, Luxemburg, Germany and Belgium...

Have a great day !

Karim
Hi Karim! I was wondering how you were and when we would see some more postcards!

Old Sep 21st 2013, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Postcards from England

Good morning dear Friends

As we are embracing the Autumn season and prepare ourselves for cosy times at home in the evenings watching a nice DVD, I invite all of you to discover or re-discover the wonderful English BBC Series inspired by Flora Thompson's novel Lark Rise to Candleford. Novel itself inspired by Flora Thompson life as one of the first Post Mistress in Victorian times.

I cannot possibly encourage you enough to watch these wonderful series which truly will be enlightening your heart and your soul with some of the most beautiful Victorian countryside scènes ever depicted on TV with heartwarming stories like tales back in the times just before the industrial revolution

Flora Thompson

Flora Thompson was born in Juniper Hill in northeast Oxfordshire, the eldest of six children of Albert and Emma Timms, a stonemason and nursemaid respectively. Her favourite brother, Edwin, was killed near Ypres in 1916. Flora was educated at the parish school in Cottisford.

Flora worked in various post offices in southern England. The first of these was Fringford, a village about 4 miles (6.4 km) northeast of Bicester. Flora started work here in 1891, as assistant to the postmistress, Mrs. Kezia Whitton. Among other post offices where Flora worked was that at Grayshott in Hampshire and Yateley in Hampshire, and she later moved to Bournemouth. In 1903 she married John William Thompson at Twickenham Parish Church, with whom she had a daughter and two sons.

Lark Rise to Candleford tells the story of her life : a young girl brought up in the poor but heartwarming rural Hamlet of Lark Rise who sees her destiny change for ever when she is sent to the nearby well to do little town of Candleford to work at the local Post Office Under the supervision of Dorcas Lane, her cousin.

In Candleford, this bright and curious young girl will discover a life she would never have imagined in her little Hamlet and a life that will become hers in time.

Those like me who enjoy Victorian England and old fashioned stories will truly be enchanted by the Lark Rise to Candleford series wich run from 2007 to 2011 in the UK and are now available on Amazon in Series 1 to 4.

If there is one DVD Collection to warm up your Autumn & Winter evenings, this is the one !

Here is the first episode of the first season :

Lark Rise to Candleford

Enjoy

Have a great week-end

Karim
Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute

A very good morning to you all

As winter is knocking at our door with the first snow falls and as I am about to open a Christmas Markets special in my topic "Escapades around the 3 Borders Country", I must tell you the dates of some of the most beautiful Christmas Markets around England starting with the Birmingham German Christmas Market which has enchanted me for many years :

Birmingham German Christmas Market

The Birmingham Christmas Market is celebrated in association with the town of Frankfurt and is the largest German Christmas Market outside Germany with millions of happy visitors each year and which was awarded Best UK Market 2013.

It is located between Victoria Square, New Street, Centenary Square & Chamberlain Square.

Opened from 14th November 2013 to 22nd December 2013.

Covent Garden Christmas Market in London

There is always something happening in the busy Covent Garden which dresses up for Christmas with lights and magic its Apple Market immediately recognizable with its giant hanging apples and which offers a great variety of handcrafted créations and gifts amongst the many colourful cafés, bistrots.

Access through the Tube which is for me the easiest way to travel within London. Picadilly line - Covent Garden station.

The Apple Market célébrates Christmas from 07th December to 02nd January 2014.

And to forget is the revisited traditional pantomime "Once upon a Christmas", a world's first and original open air play interactive with the public which will include a discovery of the well known and also little known Covent Garden.

Once upon a Christmas

Interactive pantomime played between 18th November 2013and 15th December 2013.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

A winter wonderland in the heart of London in the magnificent Hyde Park from 23rd November to 05th January 2014.

Piccadilly Line - Knightsbridge or Lancaster Gate stations.

And no visit to London during the festive season would be complete without the open air Alexandra Palace skating rink in its enchanting decor :

Alexandra Palace open air Skating Rink

Opened every day.

Piccadilly line - Wood Green station then Bus No W3 which will take you directly to Alexandra Palace.

And for a little touch of "bling" which also part of the festive season...

The festive lightings of the iconic Harrod's

Piccadilly line - Knightsbridge station

And finally, one of my favorite places in London for its Old World charm and its Victorian atmosphere, a must see at Christmas

The One & Only Fortnum & Mason

Piccadilly line - Piccadilly station

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Nov 21st 2013 at 12:14 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will end this little tour of an England with Christmas accents and the most beautiful and popular Christmas Markets located in historic cities, a must see in the festive period

Lincoln Christmas Market

Lincoln - Lincolnshire - from 05th to 08th December 2013

Bath Christmas Market

Bath - Somerset - 28th Novembre to 15th December 2013

Winchester Christmas Market

Winchester - Hampshire - 21st November to 22nd December 2013

Without forgetting the wonderful Victorian Christmas Festival celebrated in Portsmouth which recreates the colours and the atmosphere of 19th Century England...

Portsmouth Victorian Christmas Festival

Portsmouth - Hampshire - 29th November to 15th December 2013

And finally, the open air Blists Hill Victorian Museum, a unique concept in England with the recreation of an authentic Victorian Village inside and out, which is a must visit throughout the year and especially at Christmas times ...

Blists Hill Victorian Museum & Village

Blists Hill Open Air Museum - Ironbridge - Shropshire - opened all year round !

I wish you all a festive season in England

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Nov 21st 2013 at 12:34 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful! I'm very homesick now.

Have a very happy festive season yourself!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

My mum (who lives in Coventry) often uses her free pensioner's travel pass to go to Birmingham (20 miles away). She mentioned to me last week that the German Christmas market in Birmingham is *huge*.

Next weekend here in Switzerland the various Christmas markets will begin to open; I live halfway between Zurich and Lucerne so I will probably go to both of them; the Zurich one has a 'Singing Christmas Tree' where various choirs - including one from the International School - takes turns to sing each day and congregate on various levels of a huge wooden Christmas tree. It's quite enjoyable to drink hot chocolate or 'gluhwein' (mulled wine) whilst eating a cheese fondue or raclette in the market square.

Next weekend we are off to Strasbourg (on the border of Germany and France) an approx 3 hours drive and apparently it has the oldest Christmas market in France, which was founded in 1570:

http://noel.tourisme-alsace.com/en/s...-market-france

(I briefly passed through Luxembourg a few weeks ago whilst driving from the UK...it has the cheapest petrol in Europe so I filled up the tank! We really ought to spend a few days there.

By the way - right now it is heavily snowing here...and 'it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas'
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much for putting us in the Christmas spirit with your wonderful post

Here in Luxembourg, we had the first snow last night !

I am heading to Sarrebruck this week-end and to Heidelberg the following one

I will most definitely present these two cities in my thread "Escapades around the 3 Borders Country" and you are more than welcomed to add your experience to it

Have a great week-end !

Karim

PS : I encourage all of you who have not been to the Blists Hill Victorian Museum & Village yet to pay it a visit as it is like the Hartlepool Maritime Experience Museum, an experience like no other !

Last edited by victorian67; Nov 21st 2013 at 7:15 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:23 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Love those pictures of the Christmas markets. I might have to pop up to Edinburgh to visit one.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Love the pics of the markets...funnily I don't remember those from when I lived in England, welcome addition though. I'll be near Winchester on the 22nd of December and I'll just miss that gorgeous market. Really can't wait for my first Christmas in England for over 15 years, it's going to be emotional...
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorian67

PS : I encourage all of you who have not been to the Blists Hill Victorian Museum & Village yet to pay it a visit as it is like the Hartlepool Maritime Experience Museum, an experience like no other !

Many years ago when I was at high school in England I studied British Economic and Social History (in preference to taking the history course which covered the World Wars etc.). We had a day trip to the pretty town of Ironbridge in Shropshire nearby Coalbrookdale and the Blists Hill foundry and museum; it is one of the places in England where the 'Industrial Revolution' originated. The area is in beautiful countryside, although I daresay when the factories were operating they would have been belching out lots of smoke!

Fast forward a generation; I got married, had a couple of kids and moved to Singapore. One Summer I took the kids back to England on home leave and was staying with my parents. I mentioned that my son would be studying the Victorians at school on our return to Singapore and my dad mentioned that it might be nice to go to the Blists Hill museum.

So we got in the car and had a very enjoyable day there; my kids were fascinated by the Victorian bank, pharmacy, school, dentist and of course the candy shop! All the guides wear Victorian clothes...and my dad persuaded me and the kids to dress up in Victorian clothing and have a photo taken in that brown sepia colour (which I then gave to my parents).

Over the years the museum has greatly expanded so it isn't just the industrial machinery, so it appeals to everyone. In fact, the invention of the machinery pre-dates the Victorian period, but of course with success a community grew around the factories as people left their jobs on the land in the countryside to live near to their place of employment. It was a good learning experience for my kids and the trip there is quite poignant as my dad suddenly died a few weeks later.

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/our-att...ictorian-town/

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/plan-yo...travel-advice/
Old Nov 27th 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much for the trip down memory lane and sharing your wonderful personal experience with us

With the Hartlepool Maritime Experience Museum, Bristol's SS Great Britain, the Blists Hill Victorian Museum is an experience like no other of stepping back in Victorian times which I love so much

Karim
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wish a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous New Year 2014 to all BE Members

Karim
Old Mar 21st 2014, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Happy Springtime to all BE Members !

Karim
Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Happy Summertime to all BE Members !

Karim
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Karim. Happy Summertime to you!