Postcards from England

Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Postcards from England

A short history of Brighton

If I start by telling you that the area where Brighton stands today was once called Brighthelmstone and was mentioned as far back as 1086 in the Domesday Book, some of you may well first ask me what the Domesday Book is

Well, if like myself you are not a walking encyclopedia, you may be interested to learn that the Domesday Book was commissioned by William the Conqueror, and was a document completed in 1086 which recorded 13 418 settlements in the English counties south of the rivers Ribble and Tees ( the border with Scotland at the time ) and Brighthelmstone as it was called at the time, was paying an annual fee of 4000 herrings.

In June 1514, Brighthelmstone was entirely burned down by French invaders following a war between France and England in which the only surviving part today is St Nicolas Church and the map of streets.

1514 French Invasion in Brighthelsmtone

St Nicolas Church today

And Brighton raise to fame started with a Doctor named Richard Russell, from Lewes, who started to recommend between 1740 and 1750 the medical virtues of sea bathing to his patients.

From this moment, the original fisherman village known as Brighthelmstone soon became a place synonymous with elegance, sea bathing and Regency terraces houses, better known as Brighton.

Dr Richard Russell

More to come soon ...

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Apr 12th 2013 at 1:19 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute

And the development of the city was greatly stimulated by the patronage of the illustrious and somewhat eccentric, King George IV following his first visit in 1783, who by then spent most of his spare time in Brighton and built the exotic and costly Royal Pavillion.

King George IV

The Royal Pavilion

And those like myself interested in the anecdotical side of History may be willing to discover the fascinating life of a man who was billed as the first celebrity chef, who made his fame in the early 19th century cooking for royalty, baking Napoleon's wedding cake, creating masterpieces for the Romanovs in St Petersburg, souffles fleckled with real gold for the Rothschilds in Paris and of course dazzling King George IV's society at the Brighton Royal Pavillion, the legendary Chef Antonin Careme !

Antonin Careme

"Cooking for Kings" the Life and Recipes of Antonin Careme
( available online : Amazon, etc )

More to come soon ...

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Apr 12th 2013 at 1:22 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

With the arrival of the railway in 1841, Brighton became the number one day trip destination with Londoners who started flocking to the sea resort in their thousands and Brighton grew accordingly from a mere 7 000 residents in 1801 to more than 120 000 in 1901.

The Victorian era also brought some of the finest architectural jewels to the town such as the Grand Hotel ( 1864 ), the West Pier ( 1866 which suffered serious fire criminal damage in 2003 ) and of course, the most iconic sight of Brighton, the world famous Brighton Pier ( ex Palace Pier 1899 ).

The Grand Hotel - Old Postcard

The West Pier - Old Postcard

Today's Brighton Pier

And I cannot close this short introduction to Brighton without mentioning two of my favorite places :

Alfresco Bar & Restaurant ( located right on the beach )

Terraces Bar & Grill ( which commands outstanding views over the Brighton Pier and beaches )

Sipping a cocktail at Sunset from Terraces watching the Pier lights coming on is just a magical experience...

More to come soon ...

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Apr 12th 2013 at 1:25 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Those willing to join me on this escapade to happy Brighton, please do come along ...

More to come soon ...

Karim
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

More to come soon ...

Karim
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for following this escapade to Brighton and stay tuned for my next postcard soon ...

I wish you all a great week-end

Karim
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:53 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Postcards from England

Thanks Karim... your postcards always remind me of all that is wonderful and I look forward to seeing more of your adventures I hope you have a wonderful weekend

Linzi
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I love Brighton! Such a fun place. Thanks Karim, have a great weekend yourself
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much Linzi & Sally

The weather forecast here is for 23o celcius tomorrow so a full day in the garden enjoying the sun and warmth which all of us are craving like crazy after such a long hibernating period

Karim
Old Apr 19th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

I can see from the BBC weather forecast that the températures are finally set to improve in just a few days and with them one of the most anticipated Springtime of UK history

Karim
Old Apr 19th 2013, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorian67

I can see from the BBC weather forecast that the températures are finally set to improve in just a few days and with them one of the most anticipated Springtime of UK history

http://img.imagesia.com/fichiers/7g/...7gtr_large.jpg

Karim
Same to you Karim, lovely photo, I thought that was Leeds Castle; the tags just confirmed it
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for your message

Have a great Sunday

Karim
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

A few of my favorite places around England for afternoon tea, luncheon or just a cuppa...

While having a cuppa in Britain is almost as natural as breathing for most Brits, afternoon tea becomes almost a ritual in France with some Ladies ordering a "the au citron" or a "the au lait" as a mark of distinction and good taste, holding their cups with the "little finger in the air", sitting up straight and whispering rather speaking as if part of a religious service.

And such scènes can be enjoyed from Laduree and Mariage Freres in Paris to the smallest provincial Patisserie in which trying to sit at one of the tiniest table usually stuck in a dark corner by the toilets takes either of a miracle or of a contortionist act, "Salon de Thes" as we called them in France, are filled with the spiritual daughters and grand daughters of Aunt Violet Grantham dressed for the occasion and with the attitude to match ordering a "Lapsang Souchong" as if casting a spell

Before setting foot in England, I had visions of fine bone china and silver trays of cucumber sandwiches served to a strange mix of people straight out of Madame Tussaud's wax museum to the colorful characters of Lewis Carroll and the only place I have ever encountered such "crowd" in all these years was at Fortnum & Mason in London, the temple of old world etiquette.

I soon discovered that afternoon tea could also be a casual affair and a thoroughly enjoyable experience in a friendly, relaxed and welcoming atmosphere amongst people who were just like myself, there to have a good time, chat and have a laugh.

These are such places encountered along my escapades around England which I would like to share with you today ...

Located in one of the towers of Lendal Bridge over the Ouse river in York, the Circle's Cafe is for me the "quirkiest", tyniest and most charming place I have ever seen in my life with views over the river from a mullioned window from which one enjoys a freshly made cake or light lunch served with a smile ...

Circle's Cafe

Lendal Bridge - York

It is a must see when visiting the beautiful City of York

For a lunch, dinner or just a glass of wine with appetizers, I recommend the Slug & Lettuce which commands stunning views over the River Ouse :

Slug & Lettuce

1–1A Low Ousegate. York Riverside

And as 5 O'Clock is about to ring here in France, I cannot resist raising my cup of Earl Grey and remembering the unforgettable Tea Party scene in the Alice in Wonderland 1999 Movie ( starring Martin Short, Gene Wilder, Ben Kingsley, Whoopi Goldberg and many more )

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Apr 21st 2013 at 3:13 am.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What a delightful journey once again Karim! You can't beat a cuppa.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

A bright morning from Luxemburg to everyone !

I hope that you are all well and making the most of the summer !

I am nicely settled and very busy at work but I will soon be wandering out and about again to share with you postcards from the 4 Borders Country which includes France, Luxemburg, Germany and Belgium...

Have a great day !

Karim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.