Postcards from England

Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Postcards from England

More to come soon ...

Karim
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for coming along this escapade to Llandudno and stay tuned for my next postcard soon ...

Karim
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postcards from England

Thanks Karim, looking forward to your next postcard!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much Sally

Have a great day in LA

Karim
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:18 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

I am enjoying your postcards immensely It's showing everyone the beauty to be found back in Blighty and I think you should show them to everyone who has NEVER been, because they sure would be an excellent guide to the wonderful things that are to be found. Have you ever thought about turning them into a travel guide??
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your comments

I may well do that one day but there are still a few places I would like to visit first

Something that my French Friends told me over the years was that they were amazed at the sun and blue skies in the pictures and I must have been very lucky in choosing my dates

There is still so much beauty to be discovered or re-discovered in Britain, especially since it seems that Spring is finally on your doorstep, so please do make the most of it as I do not know many places in the world where Springtime is as glorious as in Britain !

Happy Easter to all of you

Karim
Old Mar 29th 2013, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks and Happy Easter to you Karim!
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much Sally

Have a great week-end

Karim
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Welcome to Hampton Court Palace !

Map of Hampton Court Palace & Gardens

More to come soon ...

Karim
Old Mar 30th 2013, 1:36 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Karim for the postcards from Hampton Court Palace. I was there last December and fell in love with it. I took so many photos myself...lol. It was so surreal to actually stand there and realise I might be standing in a spot that Henry VIII may have stood. Simply beautiful and HUGE!!!!
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

My Day at Hampton Court Palace

I have always had a passion for the 16th century who brought us the Renaissance and contributed to shape today's world in many ways. I read many books over the years on the power nations of the era : Spain, France, Germany, Italy's Pope and of course England and in doing so, I was able to recoup facts and anecdotes from different point of views.

Needless to say that I was eager to visit Hampton Court as it was the favorite Royal Palace of Henry VIII.

Hampton Court Palace is located in the South West of London, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, county of Middlesex.

The weather was perfect and I decided to first of all explore the grounds and many gardens of the palace, and what a sight : a grand formal garden, topiary garden, Tudor garden, the Orangerie and the oldest Vine in the world - 500 years old...everything was picture perfect from manicured flower beds, rare plants, fountains and lakes...

I was also very keen to attend the Heads & Hearts live exhibition which offered the possibility to follow the King in one of the most important days of his life : his wedding to Catherine Parr - his 6th Wife, from the dressing of the Queen, to their wedding ceremony and finally their great entrance in the Base Courtyard in front of the public...

My day started on a happy note as I encountered the King as he was about to visit his gardens and later on, enjoyed the many scenes in the life of Henry VIII from meeting a servant that took us to the King Appartments, meeting the sister of Catherine Parr and then finally meeting the Royal couple and guess what ?

A few people were chosen to take part of the procession and who was nominated "Master of the Royal Horses" by the Queen herself ? Yours truly, who took the hand of the Queen Sister and very ceremoniously proceeded behind my King & Queen down the grand staircase...and then in the grand courtyard with two lines of visitors doing a deep curtesy !!! It does not get any better than that, and as soon as the people stood up again we were shot by hundreds of cameras...and as I am not really camera shy ...

I can just imagine some visitors looking back at their photo albums and wondering who on earth was that green cheeky bugger behind the King !!! Priceless is the word

Hampton Court is a real gem both inside and out and a must to visit when in London !

More to come soon ...

Karim
Old Mar 30th 2013, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Taking part in the procession must have been fun.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Do you recognize him ?

Yes, this is Henry VIII, one of History's most iconic and charismatic character, a name that is universally known and a stature immediately recognizable. The man who became a king in 1509 and is responsible for the English Reformation ( separation of the Church of England from the Roman Catholic Church ) establishing himself as the Supreme Head of the Church of England.

He is also well remembered for his six unfortunate wives : Catherine d'Aragon ( marriage annuled, died while detailed under guard ), Anne Boleyn ( executed ), Jane Seymour ( died after giving birth ), Anne of Cleves ( marriage annuled ), Catherine Howard ( executed ) and Catherine Parr ( his widow ).

Henry VIII and his six Wives

His public image is frequently depicted as one of a lustful, egotistical, harsh, and insecure king.

He was nevertheless a man of the Renaissance, the first English king with a modern humanist education who read and wrote English, French and Latin. He was a keen musician, he could play the lute and write songs, was an avid gambler and dice player.

A big, strong man (over six feet tall and broad in proportion), he excelled at jousting and hunting. More than pastimes, they were political devices that served multiple goals, from enhancing his athletic royal image to impressing foreign emissaries and rulers, to conveying Henry's ability to suppress any rebellion.

Henry VIII had many castles and résidences, but he was not the master of Hampton Court in the first place.

Hampton Court was originally built for Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, a favourite of King Henry VIII, circa 1514. In 1529, as Wolsey fell from favour, the palace was passed to the King, who enlarged it.

A few words about the man who was the original owner of Hampton Court...

Cardinal Wolsey

When Henry VIII became king of England in 1509, Wolsey became the King's almoner. Wolsey's affairs prospered, and by 1514 he was the controlling figure in virtually all matters of state and extremely powerful within the Church.

Within the Church, he became Archbishop of York, the second most important seat in England, and then was made a cardinal in 1515, giving him precedence, even over the Archbishop of Canterbury.

During his fourteen years of chancellorship, Cardinal Wolsey had more power than any other Crown servant in English history.

Wolsey took over the site of Hampton Court Palace in 1514. It had previously been a property of the Order of St John of Jerusalem.Over the following seven years, Wolsey spent lavishly to build the finest palace in England at Hampton Court, a figure of 200,000 gold crowns.

In spite of having many enemies, Cardinal Wolsey retained Henry VIII's confidence until Henry decided to seek an annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon, so that he could marry Anne Boleyn. Wolsey's failure to secure the annulment is widely perceived to have directly caused his downfall and arrest.

In 1529 Wolsey was stripped of his government office and property, including his magnificently expanded residence of Hampton Court, which Henry chose to replace the Palace of Westminster as his own main London residence.

Along with St. James's Palace, it is one of only two surviving palaces out of the many owned by Henry VIII.

And I cannot close this introduction without inviting all those who are willing to learn more about Henry VIII and the Tudor era, to watch the fascinating and award winning TV series available in four seasons portraying the tumultuous life this devil of a man, Henry VIII ( 4 Seasons available on DVD ) shot on historic locations amongst those Hampton Court with lavish décors and magnificent costumes...

The Tudors

Here is a little pre-taste of the Tudors ...

More to come soon ...

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Mar 31st 2013 at 8:57 am.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you ready to follow me on Henry VIII footsteps through the amazing Hampton Court Palace ...

More to come soon ...

Karim
Old Mar 31st 2013, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

More to come soon ...

Karim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.