Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Post Brexit travel within Europe

Post Brexit travel within Europe

Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Brexit travel within Europe

Originally Posted by BritInParis
This has nothing to do with Brexit. Since the UK isn't a member of the Schengen Area then this would have had the same implications for British travellers even if the UK voted to remain in the EU.
Generally true but not exactly accurate and missing some details. Yes, the UK is not part of Schengen which allows the UK to check and screen EU citizens coming to the UK at the border. Schengen eliminated that requirement between Schengen signatories, namely passports no longer necessary.

However, due to EU rules on free movement of people, the UK must admit EU citizens and their family members who desire settlement. That is not part of Schengen. This will now cease with Brexit.

So Brexit most certainly applies in terms of voter motivation in seeking to control, reduce, and/or eliminate EU freedom of movement rules to the UK.

Yes, I mentioned visiting but meant movement of any kind between EU and UK as the motivation.

Last edited by Richard8655; Sep 15th 2016 at 6:17 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Generally true but not exactly accurate and missing some details. Yes, the UK is not part of Schengen which allows the UK to check and screen EU citizens coming to the UK at the border. Schengen eliminated that requirement between Schengen signatories, namely passports no longer necessary.

However, due to EU rules on free movement of people, the UK must admit EU citizens and their family members who desire settlement. That is not part of Schengen. This will now cease with Brexit.
The continuance of freedom of movement will depend entirely on the negotiated settlement between the UK and the EU. It won't necessary end with Brexit but I agree it is unlikely to continue in its current form.

So Brexit most certainly applies in terms of voter motivation in seeking to control, reduce, and/or eliminate EU freedom of movement rules to the UK.

Yes, I mentioned visiting but meant movement of any kind between EU and UK as the motivation.
That the ending of freedom of movement of labour was a major factor in many people's minds when they voted to leave the EU is not disputed.

I thought you were implying that Brexit would lead to the UK being penalised under ETIAS if it were implemented.

My point was that as the UK would not have been part of the Schengen Area regardless of the result of the referendum then the EU would have needed to apply the same rules to the UK as to other non-visa national countries or made an exception for the UK. This could still be negotiated as it would not make sense to penalise British tourists wishing to visit the EU and EU tourists visiting the UK. The ability to live and work without restriction is what will be negotiated.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That the ending of freedom of movement of labour was a major factor in many people's minds when they voted to leave the EU is not disputed.

I thought you were implying that Brexit would lead to the UK being penalised under ETIAS if it were implemented.
Yes, exactly, the first was my point. The 2nd was not my intention. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Just to clarify, since there seems to be some confusion on this issue:

The EU is currently considering a visa system to cover the whole of the Schengen area. If implemented, non-EU visitors will need to apply for a visa online, 72 hours before travelling. The proposed cost is around £10.

This is not a retaliation by the EU against Brexit. It will apply to other non-EU countries, and is part of the EU's counter-terrorism strategy. But, obviously, post Brexit, it will also apply to UK citizens. It will add around £40 to the cost of a family holiday.
Well worth it to be out, in my opinion. (I travel through Europe often and would be glad to pay if it means the EU doesn't rule Brittania)
Old Sep 16th 2016, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Well worth it to be out, in my opinion. (I travel through Europe often and would be glad to pay if it means the EU doesn't rule Brittania)
I can see both sides of the decision. The one point I'd add is the EU invested quite a bit in UK infrastructure, especially in rural areas that normally would not have received national funding for improvements (roads, airports, bridges, etc.).

I don't see it as being ruled but more as when cooperating together we're all stronger.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Post Brext, on the BBC news page, something about needing a visa & to pay for it to visit the EU countries?

I understand details need to be worked out & finalized.

For British citizens, that will travel to the Republic of Ireland for long stays beyond 3 or 6 months, even living there, will there be visa conditions & requirements the same as it would for those going to mainland EU?

Why worry about something that has not happened and frankly is very unlikely to happen. Britain has a special relationship with Ireland that predates any European arrangement.

And not for one second do I think any European country will be demanding visas from UK nationals anyway. Just more silly scaremongering and Project Fear nonsense.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 12:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Just more silly scaremongering and Project Fear nonsense.
What would be the point of that? It's too late to influence the referendum now.

If it was scaremongering to influence the vote they'd have done the same as the Remain people who readily admitted their 350 million lies once the damage was done.

At least some folk stayed to talk about it rather than
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What would be the point of that? It's too late to influence the referendum now.

If it was scaremongering to influence the vote they'd have done the same as the Remain people who readily admitted their 350 million lies once the damage was done.

At least some folk stayed to talk about it rather than
It was the leave people who lied about the 350 million, not the remain.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a question of time before EU states do a cost-benefit analysis and charge those on weekend stag parties £200 for a visa. More trouble than they are worth !
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It was the leave people who lied about the 350 million, not the remain.
Oops

Point still made though...I hope.