Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Post Brexit travel within Europe

Post Brexit travel within Europe

Old Sep 12th 2016, 2:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Post Brexit travel within Europe

Post Brext, on the BBC news page, something about needing a visa & to pay for it to visit the EU countries?

I understand details need to be worked out & finalized.

For British citizens, that will travel to the Republic of Ireland for long stays beyond 3 or 6 months, even living there, will there be visa conditions & requirements the same as it would for those going to mainland EU?

Last edited by not2old; Sep 12th 2016 at 2:13 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Brexit travel within Europe

We are not really 'post Brexit', rather 'post referendum'.

Nothing has been decided/announced - no one knows what the situation will be when we do leave the EU.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 2:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Post Brext, on the BBC news page, something about needing a visa & to pay for it to visit the EU countries?

I understand details need to be worked out & finalized.

For British citizens, that will travel to the Republic of Ireland for long stays beyond 3 or 6 months, even living there, will there be visa conditions & requirements the same as it would for those going to mainland EU?

As with everything post the referendum vote, no-one really knows. Theresa May has said that UK citizens MAY need a visa, but as we didn't before joining the EU, then I would suspect that we will not if we do leave the EU.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It has to be negotiated.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 4:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
UK citizens MAY need a visa, but as we didn't before joining the EU, then I would suspect that we will not if we do leave the EU.
Wasn't that lack of visa for Europe because we had British passports that were officially recognised?

And now that we have EU passports but after we're not in the EU anymore, that passport will kind of be invalid?

And rather than having to replace millions that would otherwise be valid for up to ten more years, supplementing them with a Euro-Visa might be a sensible compromise?

Brexit is quite different to Brentry () in this respect for that reason? Just a guess.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 12:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And now that we have EU passports but after we're not in the EU anymore, that passport will kind of be invalid?
Just to clarify, I mean possibly not valid for the EU, but okay for general travel.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Just to clarify, I mean possibly not valid for the EU, but okay for general travel.
I don't see that the EU will accept you using our passports for long. I think that UK citizens will just have to pay for new passports. Your vote your cost.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
I don't see that the EU will accept you using our passports for long. I think that UK citizens will just have to pay for new passports. Your vote your cost.
Storm in a tea cup. The most likely scenario is that UK citizens' passports will progressively be replaced with new covers as they expire.

And sorry, but they're not 'your' passports. The ID page clearly identifies the holder as a British citizen, and at the time they were issued the UK was a member of the EU.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Storm in a tea cup. The most likely scenario is that UK citizens' passports will progressively be replaced with new covers as they expire.

And sorry, but they're not 'your' passports. The ID page clearly identifies the holder as a British citizen, and at the time they were issued the UK was a member of the EU.
All fine with me. As I said your vote your costs.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 10:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
All fine with me. As I said your vote your costs.
Won't cost me a cent. I'm Australian
Old Sep 13th 2016, 11:20 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, since there seems to be some confusion on this issue:

The EU is currently considering a visa system to cover the whole of the Schengen area. If implemented, non-EU visitors will need to apply for a visa online, 72 hours before travelling. The proposed cost is around £10.

This is not a retaliation by the EU against Brexit. It will apply to other non-EU countries, and is part of the EU's counter-terrorism strategy. But, obviously, post Brexit, it will also apply to UK citizens. It will add around £40 to the cost of a family holiday.

Last edited by Editha; Sep 13th 2016 at 11:22 am.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Just to clarify, since there seems to be some confusion on this issue:

The EU is currently considering a visa system to cover the whole of the Schengen area. If implemented, non-EU visitors will need to apply for a visa online, 72 hours before travelling. The proposed cost is around £10.

This is not a retaliation by the EU against Brexit. It will apply to other non-EU countries, and is part of the EU's counter-terrorism strategy.

It certainly isn't retaliation as the EU have been considering that for the Schengen zone since 2011! The UK has never been one of the EU countries that is part of the Schengen zone anyway and the UK would have had to bring in their own checks for non-visa nationals.

Although since that EU idea in 2011, Merkel invited everyone to the Schengen zone and there have been terrorists attacks in Schengen countries, so it might now be a case of the EU shutting the door after the horse has bolted: and there doesn't seem to be many 'open borders of Schengen' countries now since this 'migrant crisis' anyway.

Originally Posted by Editha
But, obviously, post Brexit, it will also apply to UK citizens. It will add around £40 to the cost of a family holiday.
It's just all part of of the Brexit negotiations. Nobody knows yet who will be allowed what when EU law ends in the UK.

A lot of countries have brought in these criminal and terrorist checks for non visa nationals and I don't see anything wrong with them.
If this will mean that the UK will now be able to check the criminal history of EEA citizens and their non-EU family members and refuse them entry to the UK, something no EEA country is allowed to do under EU law, is that such a bad thing?

It's crazy that an EEA country can deport people when they come out of jail, then that person could just come back into the country under EU law, as a non-EEA family member of an EEA citizen. Or that a convicted murderer or sex offender in their own EEA country, is allowed to go and live in another EEA country under EU laws. If they are stopped from being in the UK under these proposed Schengen charges, then it is worth £10 each imo.

Last edited by formula; Sep 13th 2016 at 6:45 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 8:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Since the vast majority of terrorist attacks are committed by nationals of the country where they are committed, I can't see the relevance of visa checks at all.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is exactly what pro-Brexit voters wanted. Strict controls over who's entering the UK from the EU. And if that means the same for them in visiting the continent, so be it.

Sad state of affairs in my opinion.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
I think this is exactly what pro-Brexit voters wanted. Strict controls over who's entering the UK from the EU. And if that means the same for them in visiting the continent, so be it.

Sad state of affairs in my opinion.
This has nothing to do with Brexit. Since the UK isn't a member of the Schengen Area then this would have had the same implications for British travellers even if the UK voted to remain in the EU.

An option that could be considered is an EU Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS), where visa-exempt travellers would register relevant information regarding their intended journey. The automatic processing of this information could help border guards in their assessment of third-country visitors arriving for a short stay. Countries such as the USA, Canada and Australia have already put similar systems into place, including for EU citizens.
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs...0160406_en.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.