Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pooch From YYC to LGW - Excess Baggage/Cargo

Pooch From YYC to LGW - Excess Baggage/Cargo

Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

AB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pooch From YYC to LGW - Excess Baggage/Cargo

I have returned my 4.5lbs pooch to LGW before via Air Transit in 2012 and then return 2013 with a pet passport.

I have had numerous different folk say that I can fly the little pooch via excess baggage/cargo and it is alot cheaper. Has anyone done this before and which airline.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:04 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pooch From YYC to LGW - Excess Baggage/Cargo

Originally Posted by AB4NOW
I have had numerous different folk say that I can fly the little pooch via excess baggage/cargo and it is alot cheaper. Has anyone done this before and which airline.
Coming into the UK, pets must come as 'manifest cargo'. They will be in the temperature-controlled pressurized section of the cargo hold. It's very expensive, whether you book directly with an airline or use a pet travel agent.

Pets can't fly in to the UK and be billed at (cheaper) excess baggage rates, or travel in the cabin.

If you can fly in to Europe instead, then it's a lot cheaper. Pets can be billed as excesss baggage, or at a flat pet rate, and (I think) a few airlines also allow them to travel in the cabin (subject to size).
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

AB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond reputeAB4NOW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Coming into the UK, pets must come as 'manifest cargo'. They will be in the temperature-controlled pressurized section of the cargo hold. It's very expensive, whether you book directly with an airline or use a pet travel agent.

Pets can't fly in to the UK and be billed at (cheaper) excess baggage rates, or travel in the cabin.

If you can fly in to Europe instead, then it's a lot cheaper. Pets can be billed as excesss baggage, or at a flat pet rate, and (I think) a few airlines also allow them to travel in the cabin (subject to size).
Thank you MoshiMoshi you have just confirmed what I thought.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of

Just to give you an idea, I got a quote of $750 for a 12lb shih tzu, same price for slightly smaller cat.
Old May 1st 2015, 2:10 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Many airlines including Air Transat now only deal with agents. They won't deal with the public for booking in animals. It means that your stuck paying a higher price through the agents as captive audience.
Old May 5th 2015, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.