Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please tell me about life in Scottish Borders

Please tell me about life in Scottish Borders

Old May 14th 2016, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please tell me about life in Scottish Borders

Originally Posted by scot47
The area runs from Berwickshire to Stranraer. Very diverse. Hawick is quite different from Kelso for example.

Often the term "The Borders" refers specifically to the eastern area and excludes Dumfries and Galloway.
This seems to be the 'official' position. You pass signs welcoming you to 'The Borders' when you drive from D & G to Edinburgh. My wife lives in the south west and I've spent a bit of time there. She seems to like it, I don't.
Old May 14th 2016, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/y...=yhs-fh_lsonsw

The local government area called "Scottish Borders" (formerly "Borders Region") is the Eastern part of the Marches with England. The Western part is Dumfries and Galloway. The SW ie Dumfries and Galloway is quite distinct and people living there would not describe themselves as "Borderers".
Old May 14th 2016, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Some people also refer to the 'Stewarty'. I think it had something to do with Kirkcudbrightshire but I'm not sure.
Old May 15th 2016, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Stewartry of Kirkcudbrightshire was a county. In the 1974 reorganisation of local goverenement it became part of Dumfries and Galloway, as did Wigtownshire and Dumfries-shire. Effectively that was the end of local government in the area. Everything is now centralised in Dumfries and run by council officials from there.

Last edited by scot47; May 15th 2016 at 6:13 pm.
Old May 16th 2016, 7:28 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the Scottish Borders in 2012, after 30+ years in Canada. I haven't looked back. I live in a village near Kelso and my social life is better than when I lived in a large city, but I suppose that will depend on what interests you. Both Edinburgh and Newcastle are just over an hours drive, so a city fix is just a pretty drive away. Trains are available from Berwick-upon-Tweed and Tweedbank. I can find most things I need locally, but Berwick and Galashiels are about a half hours drive for access to some of the "high street" shops and online shopping is very handy, depending upon what you are ordering.

We are right next door to Northumberland, which is an undiscovered gem with some pretty market towns and villages and the beautiful coastal village of Bamburgh. I live in the coutryside, but the coast is just a half hour drive through quiet country roads. Traffic is generally very light with traffic slowdowns usually caused by farm vehicles or horses.

As someone mentioned up thread, the climate is drier than the west but it is cooler than the west. I'll take the reduced rainfall any day, although I do enjoy
the rain from time to time.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post, but I've been away on holiday in the wonderful Yorkshire Dales an area I highly recommend. I can't wait to make a return visit. Let me know if you any other questions as I read your post this morning and started my reply only to have been sidetracked until now.
Old May 18th 2016, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

We have looked at many houses along the new trainline. If you're having to commute to Edinburgh by public transport it's best to look along that line. Here's the stops Visit The Scottish Borders | Borders Railway (look down the bottom of the page)
Old May 23rd 2016, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I moved to the Scottish Borders in 2012, after 30+ years in Canada. I haven't looked back. I live in a village near Kelso and my social life is better than when I lived in a large city, but I suppose that will depend on what interests you. Both Edinburgh and Newcastle are just over an hours drive, so a city fix is just a pretty drive away. Trains are available from Berwick-upon-Tweed and Tweedbank. I can find most things I need locally, but Berwick and Galashiels are about a half hours drive for access to some of the "high street" shops and online shopping is very handy, depending upon what you are ordering.

We are right next door to Northumberland, which is an undiscovered gem with some pretty market towns and villages and the beautiful coastal village of Bamburgh. I live in the coutryside, but the coast is just a half hour drive through quiet country roads. Traffic is generally very light with traffic slowdowns usually caused by farm vehicles or horses.

As someone mentioned up thread, the climate is drier than the west but it is cooler than the west. I'll take the reduced rainfall any day, although I do enjoy
the rain from time to time.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post, but I've been away on holiday in the wonderful Yorkshire Dales an area I highly recommend. I can't wait to make a return visit. Let me know if you any other questions as I read your post this morning and started my reply only to have been sidetracked until now.
Thanks so much for your reply. It sounds just lovely where you are. It might be a bit too remote for me. Not sure. I'll ask some q's soon, I'm sure.