Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please help me with this big decision

Please help me with this big decision

Old Feb 9th 2016, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me with this big decision

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Thanks. I just looked at the map and now I have to try to fit in different areas previously suggested and see how they fit in. I'm wondering why you eliminated everything south of there.
Cost becomes a bigger factor in the south. I dn't think I would live in the south were it not for work, but that is presumably not an issue for you.

Yes, I am looking for some peace...how did you figure that out? But I do want to be close to everything I'll need. I definitely don't want to be in the middle of nowhere
This is unlikely to be an issue in UK. It is a small country, even if you live in a rural location, it still won't be far to the nearest town or city. I live in an extremely rural location, my "next door neighbour" on one side is about a km away with a field between us, but I can still be in central London in 90 minutes and in numerous towns in less. A car may be essential though in a rural location.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 2:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I just looked at the map and now I have to try to fit in different areas previously suggested and see how they fit in. I'm wondering why you eliminated everything south of there.
No special reason, though most of that area to the south which is the east of a center-line is going to be unnecessarily expensive ..... very nice, but expensive because of the "London effect". The south west is very nice, though Dorset, Somerset, Devon, and Cornwall are getting progressively more remote, but that may, after all, not be a concern for you.

As it happens I used to live in Gloucester when I was at school (age 8-18) and my mother still lives there. It's not a bad area, though caught between Bristol and Birmingham it is inconveniently far from both of them for trips to the theatre or concerts. Cheltenham is arguably a bit "nicer", and perhaps a bit more expensive, certainly for mid-range housing, and it has a small theatre. Both are about two hours from London by train.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 2:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
..... This is unlikely to be an issue in UK. It is a small country, even if you live in a rural location, it still won't be far to the nearest town or city. I live in an extremely rural location, my "next door neighbour" on one side is about a km away with a field between us, but I can still be in central London in 90 minutes and in numerous towns in less. A car may be essential though in a rural location.
Even inside the M25 (London outer beltway), there are pockets with very poor public transport - an area just south of Heathrow had, (when I lived in London, has?) an hourly bus service that stopped around 7pm. Most smaller cities and towns likely have only hub-and-spoke bus services, making it difficult to get from one suburb to another.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Even inside the M25 (London outer beltway), there are pockets with very poor public transport - an area just south of Heathrow had, (when I lived in London, has?) an hourly bus service that stopped around 7pm. Most smaller cities and towns likely have only hub-and-spoke bus services, making it difficult to get from one suburb to another.
I think I will want to start out in a larger city then, or a large suburb.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 4:55 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

As it happens I used to live in Gloucester when I was at school (age 8-18)
Me too (age 2-11)
Old Feb 9th 2016, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed, that why I mentioned a car can be essential. The public transport options near me are virtually non existent, there is a bus that runs to the nearest town. I have seen it about four times since I moved back here a year ago. I think it runs every Thursday.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 1:08 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Compared with the USA, there isn't really anywhere in Britain that is in the 'middle of nowhere'.

Transport, if you haven't got a car, can be an issue. But, some rural areas are surprisingly well served by buses, and some suburban areas only have links to the centre of town, so it is worth checking out public transport wherever you are thinking of moving. There can be a big difference between one village and the next.

Google maps has a public transport option on their directions tool, and I find that a good guide to how long it will take me to get from A to B by bus or train.

I suggest that with the needs and aims you have described, a market-town would be a better option than the city or suburbia. Market towns usually have a strong community spirit, good transport, and cultural attractions.

Six lesser-known market towns that offer some of the best value homes in the country | This is Money
Old Feb 9th 2016, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

You mention looking in particular for a 'bungalow' but there are a lot of other alternatives. Apartments, maisonettes, small houses. Some properties are specific to communities over 55 years of age that may have other benefits worth considering.

We have been keeping an eye on rental properties in Cornwall for the last year on a budget of $1200. Specifically minimum of two bedrooms and coastal locations and there are loads around within our budget. Thing is, nothing stays on the market for very long, in some cases, days, so its a case of being there and ready to move quickly.

Another issue we are running into is the agents inability to run credit checks on us and accepting our references as our history is in the USA. We have been asked to pay 6 months rent up front in addition to other fees/deposits as a way around this but that can be pretty expensive!.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 6:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Please help me with this big decision

Here's another area you may wish to explore; the county of Shropshire, which has a border with Wales. The countryside is stunning (some of it is designated as an "area of outstanding natural beauty" and there are market towns in Shropshire.

You may particularly like the lovely and thriving market town of Ludlow with Georgian and black & white timber framed Tudor buildings. There is even a castle in Ludlow

Http://www.ludlow.org.uk

Http://www.visitshropshirehills.co.uk

You may also wish to look at other counties in the west of England/border of Wales which also have pretty towns and countryside, eg. Herefordshire/Monmouthshire.....there is the lovely Forest of Dean (Symonds Yat, Ross-on-Wye).

The further you are away from London, property prices are more reasonable with the exception of cities such as Oxford, Cambridge although parts of Bristol and the small city of Bath are also very expensive for property.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Compared with the USA, there isn't really anywhere in Britain that is in the 'middle of nowhere'.

Transport, if you haven't got a car, can be an issue. But, some rural areas are surprisingly well served by buses, and some suburban areas only have links to the centre of town, so it is worth checking out public transport wherever you are thinking of moving. There can be a big difference between one village and the next.

Google maps has a public transport option on their directions tool, and I find that a good guide to how long it will take me to get from A to B by bus or train.

I suggest that with the needs and aims you have described, a market-town would be a better option than the city or suburbia. Market towns usually have a strong community spirit, good transport, and cultural attractions.

Six lesser-known market towns that offer some of the best value homes in the country | This is Money
Thanks for this. Very interesting. These towns look lovely. I'll have to look into rental prices in a few to get a feel for what's available.

Since I am single and looking to meet people and be active in a community, will these market towns in general be good places for me? I want to be in an area with people of all ages and have opportunities to meet single men as well
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
You mention looking in particular for a 'bungalow' but there are a lot of other alternatives. Apartments, maisonettes, small houses. Some properties are specific to communities over 55 years of age that may have other benefits worth considering.

We have been keeping an eye on rental properties in Cornwall for the last year on a budget of $1200. Specifically minimum of two bedrooms and coastal locations and there are loads around within our budget. Thing is, nothing stays on the market for very long, in some cases, days, so its a case of being there and ready to move quickly.

Another issue we are running into is the agents inability to run credit checks on us and accepting our references as our history is in the USA. We have been asked to pay 6 months rent up front in addition to other fees/deposits as a way around this but that can be pretty expensive!.
This is a bit of a worry. I'm not going to be in a position to be paying 6 mos. in advance, that's for sure.
Are all properties handled by agents with fees? I would think you could find places listed by their owners.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

This is a bit of a worry. I'm not going to be in a position to be paying 6 mos. in advance, that's for sure.
Are all properties handled by agents with fees? I would think you could find places listed by their owners.
Not all properties are going to be handled by agents but the landlord may still want references. I would if it were me.

There are also scam artists around claiming to be owners advertising properties just to make a fast buck so be careful.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:10 pm

As per my usual advice for people moving into the US, you will likely do best finding a private landlord that you can deal face-to-face with, so they can appraise you as a prospective tenant and aren't constrained by some corporate or agency policy.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

I'm not moving into the US, I'd be moving into the UK. Also, I'd kind of like to have a place to live when I get there.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:01 am

I'm not moving into the US, I'd be moving into the UK. Also, I'd kind of like to have a place to live when I get there.
You over looked the "As per ..... ", so let's try that again!

As per my usual advice for people moving into the US, when moving to the UK you will likely do best finding a private landlord that you can deal face-to-face with, so they can appraise you as a prospective tenant and aren't constrained by some corporate or agency policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.