Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please help me with this big decision

Please help me with this big decision

Old Jan 29th 2016, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me with this big decision

Originally Posted by cheers
A few people have mentioned that they have found used cars to be as cheap as "chips".
My advice is to stay away from owning a car. One reason is there is no place to park the thing. That is a generalization, you understand!
Cheers
You will need a car if you come to live in the North where housing is cheaper and jobs scarcer. Not so much if you live in or around a big city in the South.

For whatever reason (it's not obvious), in Britain new cars are very expensive and used cars are quite inexpensive. Even cheap by continental standards. Petrol is expensive but few things involve a long drive and cars get excellent fuel economy by design.

If you are thinking of the Liverpool region I would suggest looking at the Hoylake / West Kirby area. Frequent trains into Liverpool city centre (superb museums) are fast and inexpensive and Merseyrail has the best on time performance record of all UK railways. You can also go to Chester by train inexpensively if you want picturesque. Mind you Southport has the same Merseyrail service.
Typical Hoylake street scene, 300 yards walk from railway station. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3922...2!8i6656?hl=en
Old Jan 30th 2016, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all this! You BE members are so kind and thorough...and thoughtful. I have to go through all this info now as I have been busy all day. Your replies make me feel so positive about this
Old Jan 30th 2016, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Loads of excellent responses which I am sure have helped you feel more positive and confident about your move. To echo what others have said - you are very brave.

In answer to some of your queries, and possibly repeat what others have said:

Yes there will be plenty of places where you can get rental for £1,000 pcm. Why a bungalow? this may limit your choice. I would say there are fewer bungalows for purchase and/or rent in UK than there are in US.

You say you want somewhere 'picturesque'. Do you mean rural? if so, this may give some practical challenges regarding access to public transport, shops, healthcare (in particular hospitals). There are many attractive areas in the suburbs of most large cities and towns which might be easier from a practical day to day basis and with access to parks and open areas.

Do you have any preference for a particular area of UK> North/South/East/West? The Midlands have many nice towns and cities as well as good transport network (rails, road, airports). I live in Birmingham and there are many semi rural/country feel places such as Worcester which have less expensive property than other similar areas.

Internet connectivity is generally good in and around towns ans cities. In some rural areas it is less reliable. Usually you will need to get a 'landline' in order to get internet. There are lots of companies to choose from.

Mobile packages. Consider bringing your won mobile with you (as long as it is not locked into a US company - even then you can pay to unlock it. I am with EE on a 'SIM only' package at around £14 pcm for unlimited text, calls, data. Mobile phones are cheaper to buy in US than in UK.

Car prices more expensive than US, but on the whole, people tend to look after their cars well and many will have service history. You can get a 10 year old car with low mileage and full service history quite cheaply. Look at Ebay and also autotrader.co.uk where you can filter price, mileage, make, model, location and lots of other things to see what is available. In general look for a car that has done 10,000 miles per year or less. Research popular makes and models and reliability.

Driving lessons £20 to £30 per hour. You will need at least 10 even if you can drive now. If you have never driven a stick shift, you might want to consider taking an 'automatic only' driving test/licence. There is a knowledge of theory test too. This isn't that easy and, as others have said, can take a few goes before passing with time in between each test booking. You cannot take your practical test without first passing the theory. There are books and example tests available from Amazon.

Regarding work make sure you get a National Insurance (NI) number as soon as possible as it can take a number of weeks and many places will not even consider you without this, or proof that you are eligible to work.

You mention 'packing heat' - do you mean guns? UK is generally safer gun wise than other countries, but there are also areas of high crime and low crime. There are sites which you can go on where you can get police statistics for crimes in different areas. Research areas you might be considering.

You haven't mentioned any capital or savings which you have. I would suggest at least 12 months worth of expenses (eg £12,000 for your rental plus £12,000 running costs/bills) in order to ensure you do not come unstuck. If you are considering claiming benefits this is not as straightforward as some of the media, eg the Daily Fail, make out. It will take at least 3 months before they will even see you for an interview and longer before any claims are processed.

Do you have a pension? you say you are 60 years old. Have you considered/planned for your later years and how you will live?

Think that covers most things. God luck with your quest!
Thanks, Victor!!!
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
You will need a car if you come to live in the North where housing is cheaper and jobs scarcer. Not so much if you live in or around a big city in the South.

For whatever reason (it's not obvious), in Britain new cars are very expensive and used cars are quite inexpensive. Even cheap by continental standards. Petrol is expensive but few things involve a long drive and cars get excellent fuel economy by design.

If you are thinking of the Liverpool region I would suggest looking at the Hoylake / West Kirby area. Frequent trains into Liverpool city centre (superb museums) are fast and inexpensive and Merseyrail has the best on time performance record of all UK railways. You can also go to Chester by train inexpensively if you want picturesque. Mind you Southport has the same Merseyrail service.
Typical Hoylake street scene, 300 yards walk from railway station. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3922...2!8i6656?hl=en
What has being in the north got to do with needing a car or not? I spent first 25 years of my life in the north and never had access to a car, my family never had a car and none of my friends had a car. I am in the south now and would be utterly stuck without a car. But it nothing to do with North or South, it is to do with rural versus town.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:44 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Are new cars in the UK really significantly more expensive than US? In the UK you can buy one of those small Dacias somewhere in the £7,500 region. A Toyota Aygo or Skoda Citigo - both very highly regarded - start around £9,000. I don't think you can buy any car in the U.S. for much less than $14,000.

In the UK I'd feel happy with a really small car (Toyota Aygo) whereas in the U.S. I'd be driving the next size up (Toyota Yaris.) Narrow lanes and significantly smaller parking spaces in the UK....
Old Jan 30th 2016, 7:54 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What has being in the north got to do with needing a car or not? I spent first 25 years of my life in the north and never had access to a car, my family never had a car and none of my friends had a car. I am in the south now and would be utterly stuck without a car. But it nothing to do with North or South, it is to do with rural versus town.
Lifestyle choices too - I'm in a small town in North Norfolk, and we have an express bus to Norwich every half hour. Several other buses to nearby villages and towns. Several supermarkets and other essential shops within walking distance of the flat. Could I possibly NEED a car? I'm starting to think I'd like a car; trips to Waitrose, six miles away and not reachable by bus. Also, trips to beaches, nature reserves, distant NT houses etc. that I simply can't get to in one day by bicycle or bus.....
Old Jan 30th 2016, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

There is always the open University - distance learning with some local meetings and a summer school if you want. My wife got her BA in 4 years with the OU, whilst running a family and working full time!
Old Feb 1st 2016, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

JustSo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm.
You asked for thoughts...
I have a question - you mention health resources no less than 3 times in your post , is this your main motivation in your proposed move? You do understand that Britain is a country where "no one goes without healthcare or loses their home to pay for it" because millions of tax payers have supported the NHS throughout their working lives and many throughout their pensionable years. This is how it works.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustSo
Hmm.
I have a question - you mention health resources no less than 3 times in your post , is this your main motivation in your proposed move? You do understand that Britain is a country where "no one goes without healthcare or loses their home to pay for it" because millions of tax payers have supported the NHS throughout their working lives and many throughout their pensionable years. This is how it works.
As will the OP if she decides to move to the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Well that was the whole point of my question really. Is the healthcare the motivation, does the OP have an expensive array of medical conditions to be taken care of? Just curious with the wording of the post.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was the whole point of my question really. Is the healthcare the motivation, does the OP have an expensive array of medical conditions to be taken care of? Just curious with the wording of the post.
She mentions healthcare provision once in her OP along with a range of other things that attract her to the UK so I'm not sure how you are extrapolating that into that she has a range of expensive medical problems that she needs to take care of.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's health is none of your business.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 12:20 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

If she moved to the UK she would be working and contributing to society based on her need to make a living and so would be likely paying into the NHS immediately upon arrival. So whatever she is concerned about she'll be paying for it. Additionally just paying for things and paying VAT. That money will also be paying into a general fund from which the NHS is also funded.

Questioning someone's health status as to their validity in immigrating is very low class.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Questioning someone's health status as to their validity in immigrating is very low class.
You may feel this to be low class however I think you will find most countries do this when considering new immigrants. It is simply sound financial husbandry.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 2nd 2016 at 3:07 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Hmm.
I will not dignify this with a response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.