Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Please help me with this big decision

Please help me with this big decision

Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Question Please help me with this big decision

Hello everyone,

I've decided to just throw all this out there to you lovely people and see what your thoughts are and what information you have or can point me to.

I'm trying to decide if I should try moving to England in the Spring. First off, I anticipate many recommendations to visit first, however I have my lease here coming up for renewal, absolutely want to make a change and want to just do it now, rather than sign another lease.

I'm an American with dual citizenship - Irish and U.S. As such, I know I can live in the U.K. thru the Irish Citizenship, a privilege I am very grateful for.

So, here are some things that have been bouncing around in my head...I'd be grateful for some kind and helpful feedback.They are all over the place in terms of topics. Please imagine you're in my shoes. Here goes:

Can I find a nice bungalow with a garden for around $1500 USD, nice, safe, picturesque area, good shopping, transportation, hospital, doctors and veterinarians?

I'd like to be close to a big city, but not too close. Also, I need good internet connections.

What's the best way to open a bank account if I go - as a US citizen or Irish citizen?

Are there any opportunities for someone in their early 60's to go to university there to complete a degree without breaking the bank? If so, the location then should also have access to a uni.

When would I be able to sign up with the electoral roll and the NHS? In what order would I do these things? What else would I need to set up or enroll in?

How do mobile phone rates compare to those in the US?

Are driving lessons expensive? How about the cost of gas...and the price of used cars, too?

I'd love some input regarding moving by yourself to another country, no family or anyone there to help. I know it's a big move, but time is flying by, life is sometimes short, and sometimes you just have to go for it. Has anyone here done it? DO you know any Americans who have moved there alone?

I would possibly be looking for p/t work, but have a portable business as well that I operate from home via computer, btw.

Will I be happy there in that lovely country where the weather is mild, the elections are not crazy like they are here, everyone isn't "packing heat", no one goes without healthcare or loses their home to pay for it, where dogs are welcome most places and loved so much? I think so....

Awaiting your thoughts....

Thanks!

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Jan 28th 2016 at 8:01 pm. Reason: Additional questions
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:43 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me with this big decision

That's quite the decision to make!! I wish you the very best of luck with everything, and hope that it all works out for you

I wanted to throw out a couple of options for places to relocate to that I think may have what you're looking for. Firstly, Hampshire (New Forest area) - really pretty, lots of countryside to enjoy, olde worlde charm but you have Southampton and Portsmouth and all the amenities there, plus it's only around an hour and a half on the train into London. Secondly, the Cotswolds area - very similar benefits really. Close to Oxford, Bath, lots of history and very pretty.

I'd think a small bungalow in that price range should be do-able, at least in Hampshire. Cotswolds might well be more expensive.

I'm not sure on the specifics of most of your questions, unfortunately - hopefully more knowledgeable folks will chime in. I do know that the only requirement for NHS is that you are ordinarily resident in the UK. As soon as you move there, you are resident so can sign up with a GP. As a citizen of Ireland, you can also register to vote immediately.

Mobile phones are cheaper in the UK (or, at least, service plans are. The phones themselves may not be!)

Cars and petrol are more expensive in the UK. I don't know how the cost of lessons compares. You may well find that you are in an area with good enough public transport that you wouldn't need to drive all that much, though. Manual transmission cars are far more common in the UK, which is worth bearing in mind when car shopping if you haven't had experience with a manual.

I have to say I think you're incredibly brave to be considering it. Kudos to you! I would definitely advise you to join in with the local community as soon as you can - volunteering, taking adult education classes or whatever it may be. My Mum is in her early (ok, more like late) 60's and she seems to have no problems making friends left, right and centre through her community activities

Do let us know how it goes
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Hello everyone,

I've decided to just throw all this out there to you lovely people and see what your thoughts are and what information you have or can point me to.

I'm trying to decide if I should try moving to England in the Spring. First off, I anticipate many recommendations to visit first, however I have my lease here coming up for renewal, absolutely want to make a change and want to just do it now, rather than sign another lease.

I'm an American with dual citizenship - Irish and U.S. As such, I know I can live in the U.K. thru the Irish Citizenship, a privilege I am very grateful for.
That's the biggest hurdle overcome already. Do you have a current valid Irish passport?

So, here are some things that have been bouncing around in my head...I'd be grateful for some kind and helpful feedback.They are all over the place in terms of topics. Please imagine you're in my shoes. Here goes:

Can I find a nice bungalow with a garden for around $1500 USD, nice, safe, picturesque area, good shopping, transportation, hospital, doctors and veterinarians?

I'd like to be close to a big city, but not too close. Also, I need good internet connections.
£1000 a month for your own bungalow is likely to rule out a lot of the south of England, the nicer parts at least. Perhaps try looking at South Yorkshire or North Derbyshire? Half the living costs of the South-East with the Peak District National Park on your doorstep, good rail and road links with a major city with good hospitals in Sheffield close by. I would recommend using a site like Rightmove to gauge the typical rental prices in areas you are considering before zeroing on two or three options. You can select bungalows as a search option if you are particularly keen on those rather than a house or flat.

What's the best way to open a bank account if I go - as a US citizen or Irish citizen?
Irish, for everything. Other than visits home you can leave your US passport in a drawer.

Are there any opportunities for someone in their early 60's to go to university there to complete a degree without breaking the bank? If so, the location then should also have access to a uni.
Sheffield has two large universities and adult education centres. The costs have been going up in recent years but you can often start a relatively cost effective adult education course which you can then upgrade to a bachelor's degree with further study.

When would I be able to sign up with the electoral roll and the NHS? In what order would I do these things? What else would I need to set up or enroll in?
Yes. An Irish passport is superior in this regard to any other EU/EEA passport and being an Irish citizen in the UK is virtually the same as being a British citizen. You can enrol on the electoral roll and vote in all local, general and European elections. You can also receive free care on the NHS from the moment you arrive if you are resident in the UK. You can register to vote online and you should register with a local GP once you have proof of your address in order to obtain your NHS number. Each GP surgery is rated online so you can find a good one in your local area. You should also apply for your National Insurance number after you arrive. It's the UK equivalent of a Social Security number.

Not sure as I've never operated a mobile in the States but a typical inclusive package ranges from £10 to £50 per month depending on the package and whether it includes a "free" phone.

Are driving lessons expensive? How about the cost of gas...and the price of used cars, too?
You can drive for up to 12 months on your US licence after which you need to obtain a GB licence. You'll need to pass both a theory and a practical test to do so. You are likely to pay around £20 per hour for lessons and it typically takes around 10 to 20 hours in order to pass your test. Bear in mind that the UK driving tests is one of the toughest in the world, far harder than the US equivalent, and it's not uncommon to have to take two or three attempts.

I'd love some input regarding moving by yourself to another country, no family or anyone there to help. I know it's a big move, but time is flying by, life is sometimes short, and sometimes you just have to go for it. Has anyone here done it? DO you know any Americans who have moved there alone?
I'll let someone more qualified answer that one.

I would possibly be looking for p/t work, but have a portable business as well that I operate from home via computer, btw.
As an Irish citizen you are free to work or not. You only need your National Insurance number to start.

Will I be happy there in that lovely country where the weather is mild, the elections are not crazy like they are here, everyone isn't "packing heat", no one goes without healthcare or loses their home to pay for it, where dogs are welcome most places and loved so much? I think so....

Thanks!
If those kinds of things appeal then the UK is likely to suit you. Providing that you bear in mind that there will be undoubtedly be things that you miss or new annoyances you encounter and you will have an easier time adjusting to your new home.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
That's quite the decision to make!! I wish you the very best of luck with everything, and hope that it all works out for you

I wanted to throw out a couple of options for places to relocate to that I think may have what you're looking for. Firstly, Hampshire (New Forest area) - really pretty, lots of countryside to enjoy, olde worlde charm but you have Southampton and Portsmouth and all the amenities there, plus it's only around an hour and a half on the train into London. Secondly, the Cotswolds area - very similar benefits really. Close to Oxford, Bath, lots of history and very pretty.

I'd think a small bungalow in that price range should be do-able, at least in Hampshire. Cotswolds might well be more expensive.

I'm not sure on the specifics of most of your questions, unfortunately - hopefully more knowledgeable folks will chime in. I do know that the only requirement for NHS is that you are ordinarily resident in the UK. As soon as you move there, you are resident so can sign up with a GP. As a citizen of Ireland, you can also register to vote immediately.

Mobile phones are cheaper in the UK (or, at least, service plans are. The phones themselves may not be!)

Cars and petrol are more expensive in the UK. I don't know how the cost of lessons compares. You may well find that you are in an area with good enough public transport that you wouldn't need to drive all that much, though. Manual transmission cars are far more common in the UK, which is worth bearing in mind when car shopping if you haven't had experience with a manual.

I have to say I think you're incredibly brave to be considering it. Kudos to you! I would definitely advise you to join in with the local community as soon as you can - volunteering, taking adult education classes or whatever it may be. My Mum is in her early (ok, more like late) 60's and she seems to have no problems making friends left, right and centre through her community activities

Thanks so much for your reply! I absolutely intend to get involved with the community as your mother is doing.Thanks for saying I'm brave...I'm naturally a little apprehensive, but looking forward to making a smart, happy change in my life
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That's the biggest hurdle overcome already. Do you have a current valid Irish passport?

£1000 a month for your own bungalow is likely to rule out a lot of the south of England, the nicer parts at least. Perhaps try looking at South Yorkshire or North Derbyshire? Half the living costs of the South-East with the Peak District National Park on your doorstep, good rail and road links with a major city with good hospitals in Sheffield close by. I would recommend using a site like Rightmove to gauge the typical rental prices in areas you are considering before zeroing on two or three options. You can select bungalows as a search option if you are particularly keen on those rather than a house or flat.

Irish, for everything. Other than visits home you can leave your US passport in a drawer.

Sheffield has two large universities and adult education centres. The costs have been going up in recent years but you can often start a relatively cost effective adult education course which you can then upgrade to a bachelor's degree with further study.

Yes. An Irish passport is superior in this regard to any other EU/EEA passport and being an Irish citizen in the UK is virtually the same as being a British citizen. You can enrol on the electoral roll and vote in all local, general and European elections. You can also receive free care on the NHS from the moment you arrive if you are resident in the UK. You can register to vote online and you should register with a local GP once you have proof of your address in order to obtain your NHS number. Each GP surgery is rated online so you can find a good one in your local area. You should also apply for your National Insurance number after you arrive. It's the UK equivalent of a Social Security number.

Not sure as I've never operated a mobile in the States but a typical inclusive package ranges from £10 to £50 per month depending on the package and whether it includes a "free" phone.

You can drive for up to 12 months on your US licence after which you need to obtain a GB licence. You'll need to pass both a theory and a practical test to do so. You are likely to pay around £20 per hour for lessons and it typically takes around 10 to 20 hours in order to pass your test. Bear in mind that the UK driving tests is one of the toughest in the world, far harder than the US equivalent, and it's not uncommon to have to take two or three attempts.

I'll let someone more qualified answer that one.

As an Irish citizen you are free to work or not. You only need your National Insurance number to start.

If those kinds of things appeal then the UK is likely to suit you. Providing that you bear in mind that there will be undoubtedly be things that you miss or new annoyances you encounter and you will have an easier time adjusting to your new home.
Thanks for such a thoughtful, informative reply! I'm going to look at all the links you provided right now.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Few more comments form me, echoing some of the previous posts.

Although UK is quite a small country, prices for rentals do vary a lot depending on location. I also think $1,500 equivalent would rule out a lot of southern England and the quaint places like Cotswolds. But moving further north there are loads of beautiful places to chose from and the budget should do well up there.

On the other hand, the UK is small enough so that nobody is really a long way from a city, not unless you go to the highlands of Scotland or something anyway. I am in Hertfordshire, you can barely see buildings on the googlemaps view of my village, it is just fields and fields. People often describe it as being in the middle of nowhere. Yet I can be in Cambridge in 30 minutes and London in 1-1.5 hours.

Getting a decent internet connection shouldn't be too difficult. In rural areas (like where I am) the speed is not good however, it is still fine for me most of the time. But downloading an application or a TV program from Iplayer can take an hour or so sometimes.

I have never heard of anyone, Irish or American, having problems opening a bank account. I read on here the other day that Americans might have an issue, but I have never heard that in real life and that is after working in financial services for all of my working life (but not opening bank accounts). But maybe do it with Irish passport and don't try before you get here, just use your American accounts in the short term, they will work perfectly well.

You can enrol for NHS and join the electoral register straight away when you get here.

My hubby got a new mobile phone at the weekend. He got an iPhone 5 with unlimited text, 500 minutes of voice and sorry I forgot how much data for £18.50 per month on O2 network.

University would be expensive as you would be paying international fees regardless of Irish passport as it is based on previous residency and obviously you would need to meet whatever prerequisites to be accepted onto a course.

Not sure what driving lessons cost these days, petrol is not too expensive at the moment (as it goes here) but definitely more expensive than you would be used to in the US as it is taxed heavily here. Cars are as cheap or expensive as you want them to be. I have two cars, both used, one cost £30k and the other cost £1,700.

I am not sure I would say dogs are welcome everywhere. There are very few places I feel able to take my dog too! If you meant parks though, yes there are parks around that would welcome dogs.

As for the rest, well it is impossible to say whether you would like it. Not even you can know that, so I certainly cannot say. I think it is a bold and brave move. Good luck with it.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:19 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a dual citizen, UK and U.S., and I just successfully opened a bank account at M&S Bank last week. You absolutely have to be upfront about your US citizenship and tax status. (We all know they go together, if you're a U.S. Citizen you must file a U.S. tax return.)

I simply went into the bank and said I want a current account (i.e. a checking account.) I told the representative I was a dual citizen and a British resident. She consulted a superior, looked up her current rules online, said I could do it - there would simply be an additional form to fill in. She made me an appointment a week hence - a one and a half hour appointment!! Yes, in the UK, getting a bank account is quite a big deal.

The form they require of people with citizenship and/or tax responsibilities in addition to British simply asks you to list each citizenship and/or tax residence, with your TIN or equivalent for each. So I listed UK and U.S., and gave my US SS number.

Beyond that, though, the main thing you need to demonstrate is that you're a British resident. For me, I gave her my new driving licence and she photocopied it. If no driving licence, I believe Irish passport + rental agreement, recent utility bill etc. would work just as well.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 12:16 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Loads of excellent responses which I am sure have helped you feel more positive and confident about your move. To echo what others have said - you are very brave.

In answer to some of your queries, and possibly repeat what others have said:

Yes there will be plenty of places where you can get rental for £1,000 pcm. Why a bungalow? this may limit your choice. I would say there are fewer bungalows for purchase and/or rent in UK than there are in US.

You say you want somewhere 'picturesque'. Do you mean rural? if so, this may give some practical challenges regarding access to public transport, shops, healthcare (in particular hospitals). There are many attractive areas in the suburbs of most large cities and towns which might be easier from a practical day to day basis and with access to parks and open areas.

Do you have any preference for a particular area of UK> North/South/East/West? The Midlands have many nice towns and cities as well as good transport network (rails, road, airports). I live in Birmingham and there are many semi rural/country feel places such as Worcester which have less expensive property than other similar areas.

Internet connectivity is generally good in and around towns ans cities. In some rural areas it is less reliable. Usually you will need to get a 'landline' in order to get internet. There are lots of companies to choose from.

Mobile packages. Consider bringing your won mobile with you (as long as it is not locked into a US company - even then you can pay to unlock it. I am with EE on a 'SIM only' package at around £14 pcm for unlimited text, calls, data. Mobile phones are cheaper to buy in US than in UK.

Car prices more expensive than US, but on the whole, people tend to look after their cars well and many will have service history. You can get a 10 year old car with low mileage and full service history quite cheaply. Look at Ebay and also autotrader.co.uk where you can filter price, mileage, make, model, location and lots of other things to see what is available. In general look for a car that has done 10,000 miles per year or less. Research popular makes and models and reliability.

Driving lessons £20 to £30 per hour. You will need at least 10 even if you can drive now. If you have never driven a stick shift, you might want to consider taking an 'automatic only' driving test/licence. There is a knowledge of theory test too. This isn't that easy and, as others have said, can take a few goes before passing with time in between each test booking. You cannot take your practical test without first passing the theory. There are books and example tests available from Amazon.

Regarding work make sure you get a National Insurance (NI) number as soon as possible as it can take a number of weeks and many places will not even consider you without this, or proof that you are eligible to work.

You mention 'packing heat' - do you mean guns? UK is generally safer gun wise than other countries, but there are also areas of high crime and low crime. There are sites which you can go on where you can get police statistics for crimes in different areas. Research areas you might be considering.

You haven't mentioned any capital or savings which you have. I would suggest at least 12 months worth of expenses (eg £12,000 for your rental plus £12,000 running costs/bills) in order to ensure you do not come unstuck. If you are considering claiming benefits this is not as straightforward as some of the media, eg the Daily Fail, make out. It will take at least 3 months before they will even see you for an interview and longer before any claims are processed.

Do you have a pension? you say you are 60 years old. Have you considered/planned for your later years and how you will live?

Think that covers most things. God luck with your quest!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 12:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Accomodations: look at places like Southport that are within 30 minutes of Liverpool. Lovely quiet seaside town. Access to a big city & two airports

Southport bungalows. Find bungalows to rent in Southport, Merseyside

Houses

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...hannel=renting

Phone plans: many, take a look at giffgaff, O2

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/all-tariffs/

Driving stuff:

How much does it cost to learn to drive? - MoneySupermarket

Latest fuel price report | AA

Last edited by not2old; Jan 29th 2016 at 12:45 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jan 29th 2016, 12:48 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Another good site for all things money related is:

Money Saving Expert: Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

There are always lots of ideas and tips, which are regularly updated and can be relied upon
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you have never visited the UK, then I would suggest you take a look at the suggestions provided to you and then use the excellent link not2old has provided for you:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...latShare=false

and start inputting town names to find out how much accommodation would cost you.

As in most countries the nicer the area the more expensive rental properties are.

Meldrew also provided great information and suggested that you have a good amount of money available when you first move for expenses.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong

A few people have mentioned that they have found used cars to be as cheap as "chips".
My advice is to stay away from owning a car. One reason is there is no place to park the thing. That is a generalization, you understand!

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you have never visited the UK, then I would suggest you take a look at the suggestions provided to you and then use the excellent link not2old has provided for you:

Southport bungalows. Find bungalows to rent in Southport, Merseyside

and start inputting town names to find out how much accommodation would cost you.

As in most countries the nicer the area the more expensive rental properties are.

Meldrew also provided great information and suggested that you have a good amount of money available when you first move for expenses.

Remember you have to pay council tax on the property you rent. I know I often forget that.

Cheers
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:10 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Please help me with this big decision

Just a quick reply to your query about university courses:

You may be interested to hear about the 'University of the Third Age" and it's probably a great way to meet people with similar interests to yours, and of course mature in age and not young students in their twenties (if that is your preference!)

University of the Third Age changes the lives of Britain's over 50s | Daily Mail Online

University of the Third Age - Homepage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer..._the_Third_Age

There are also many free online courses via highly regarded universities around the world too:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses

Hope this helps!
Good Luck!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=BritInParis;11852245]

May I say that it is much easier to pass the driving test in Scotland or so I have read. If I moved there I would check into that. I think the writer mentioned one of the Scottish Islands were it was easy. I also think the whole testing is ridiculous because of the way people drive after getting their license.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.