Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bona Fide--common kids enough?

Bona Fide--common kids enough?

Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

josda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bona Fide--common kids enough?

I'm about to send off my I-130 documents to hubby and wonder if I should include anything about our common lives together here the past couple years, or if having two kids in common (with birth certificates) is enough. Any documents from here (Sweden) would have to be translated, so I'd only include it if necessary. We've also been married for 14 years, I have a previous green card, and details of our living together in Sweden in the past years is on the population extract I've included for marriage certificate.

Thanks.

Last edited by josda; Apr 26th 2012 at 11:02 am.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bona Fide--common kids enough?

Originally Posted by josda
... wonder if I should include anything about our common lives together here the past couple years, or if having two kids in common (with birth certificates) is enough.
While you'd think that two children would be proof enough... all it really demonstrates is that you have two children. It doesn't necessarily demonstrate that you have a bona fide marriage. If you have more evidence, I'd include it.

Any documents from here (Sweden) would have to be translated, so I'd only include it if necessary.
If you're fluent, you can translate stuff yourself.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

we have been married 10 years and have 2 kids together. We also live together in the same country. I just sent off the I-130 and I didn't send anything other than information that was requested ie. proof of uk residence (Indefinite leave to remain stamp), proof of us citizenship (photo of passport bio page), and a copy of marriage cert. It states on http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...for_spouse.pdf
not to send anymore paperwork than that listed above (in my situation). But now I'm concerned I haven't sent enough when others are talking about proof of relationship...
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
But now I'm concerned I haven't sent enough when others are talking about proof of relationship...
This is the danger in taking information of a specific nature and applying it to your situation. Josda has several other issues that you don't seem to have.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is the danger in taking information of a specific nature and applying it to your situation. Josda has several other issues that you don't seem to have.

Ian
Thanks Ian. So in your opionion, have I done the correct thing in posting only the evidence stated on the I-130 "Checklist"?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Those instructions are issued by the USCIS office where you filed your I-130 and are specific to that office. It's a good idea for you to follow those instructions rather than follow instructions that apply to other filing locations.

Regards, JEff

It states on http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...for_spouse.pdf
not to send anymore paperwork than that listed above (in my situation). But now I'm concerned I haven't sent enough when others are talking about proof of relationship...
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou Jeff, that has given me peace of mind
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

we have been married 10 years and have 2 kids together. We also live together in the same country. I just sent off the I-130 and I didn't send anything other than information that was requested ie. proof of uk residence (Indefinite leave to remain stamp), proof of us citizenship (photo of passport bio page), and a copy of marriage cert. It states on http://photos.state.gov/libraries/un...for_spouse.pdf
That's exactly what we sent too to London (except in my wife's case her UK residency was based on having Irish citizenship so she sent a copy of her Irish passport page along with her American). We'd been married for five years at time of filing, and the I-130 was approved with no problems.

Last edited by rpjs; Apr 26th 2012 at 2:22 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpjs
That's exactly what we sent too to London (except in my wife's case her UK residency was based on having Irish citizenship so she sent a copy of her Irish passport page along with her American). We'd been married for five years at time of filing, and the I-130 was approved with no problems.
Thanks Roy... I tell ya, this whole process is more stressful than I thought
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to send off my I-130 documents to hubby and wonder if I should include anything about our common lives together here the past couple years, or if having two kids in common (with birth certificates) is enough. Any documents from here (Sweden) would have to be translated, so I'd only include it if necessary. We've also been married for 14 years, I have a previous green card, and details of our living together in Sweden in the past years is on the population extract I've included for marriage certificate.

Thanks.
I'm not sure you even need to send proof of your bonafide marriage with this I-130, but if you choose to include something, it should be more along the lines of proving you have a joint life together, such as joint mortgage, lease, bills, banking, showing each other as beneficiary on life insurance, wills, that sort of thing.

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What are "common" children?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:58 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I love it!

Best regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
Not of royal birth... obviously!

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

josda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the laugh. My children would probably be considered commoners.

On the USCIS page about supporting documents, having children *in common* (as in the petitioner being one parent and the beneficiary being the other parent!) is listed under proof of a bona fide marriage. So I know it counts even though none of you are confirming it. However I'm curious to know whether it's enough (in this case a birth certificate with both parents' names on it).

Sorry I'm unable to copy and paste it on here but basically it says to supply one or more of the following documents, those which may apply to me are 1. birth certificates of 'joint' children 2. anything showing co-mingling of financial resources 3. lease showing joint tenancy
I just realized I could use American documents for this too.

Last time I filed I didn't have to prove our bona fide marriage--the lady at the Embassy had no interest in the photos etc that I had brought with me! But I'm sure that 14 years later, things have changed a little.
However, I have a hard time imagining that having children in common does not by itself constitute a bona fide marriage. If not, what does?!

Ian, I don't think that in regards to documenting a bona fide marriage, my case is any different from beneficiaries of other nationalities. I got this info off the USCIS website. The Embassy in Stockholm refers to this page for instructions.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the laugh. My children would probably be considered commoners.
My pleasure

Ian, I don't think that in regards to documenting a bona fide marriage, my case is any different from beneficiaries of other nationalities. I got this info off the USCIS website. The Embassy in Stockholm refers to this page for instructions.

Believe it or not, shared finances count more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.