ping pong!!

Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ping pong!!

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Happy Birthday!!
Thankyou!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

get on with your new life enjoy with no guilt, your mum didnt make too much of an effort when you were back in the uk so you have done all you can. make a new life for you and your family, PLEASE DO NOT LIVE THE GUILT TRIP. good luck and all the best . wendy
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:31 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Good for you Libby

I've not been on here for months and do remember your posts. I lasted 6 months in Oz and got v homesick and totally addicted to this site...came back to the UK in April- only to decide i did't give it long enough - so heading back early next year and have decided to tell my mum FROM AUSTRALIA! as i just can't go through that again!

Nice to see your post

x
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowers
Good for you Libby

I've not been on here for months and do remember your posts. I lasted 6 months in Oz and got v homesick and totally addicted to this site...came back to the UK in April- only to decide i did't give it long enough - so heading back early next year and have decided to tell my mum FROM AUSTRALIA! as i just can't go through that again!

Nice to see your post

x
I think that what you have done highlights an issue for many returning. 6 months is not long enough to settle. In truth I think that you need to give a country at least 2 years min before you can decide whether it is right for you. At least if you return after this time frame you should know that you gave it the best go!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Libby

Nice to see your post

x
Hope it all goes well for you second time round.

I just hope your Mum understands why you have done it again unlike mine did at the time. We are a lot better now and speak probably once a fortnight and text a couple of times a week. If she can get over it then there is hope for everyone!

Where are you going to and is it the same place as you were before?

Good Luck,

LibbyX
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:13 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Good for you Libby

...and have decided to tell my mum FROM AUSTRALIA! ....

x
What an abosolutely GREAT idea....I think I'll do the same!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:59 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

so you going back too Banjo??

If you are going back can I ask what has made you decide that Oz is where you want to be and not the UK?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pants

If you are going back can I ask what has made you decide that Oz is where you want to be and not the UK?
Hello fruit, you OK I hope, and why do you want to know, are you thinking the same way????? nosey arent I!!

LibbyX
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:28 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pants

You know.....even though I am strictly speaking not British, I have grown up here all my life. Whenever my family moved us about all I ever wanted was to come back to the UK. When we left for Oz I was 32 weeks pregnant with number two and because of the little surprise package everything was moved forward a good year or so. I think in my mind it happened too quickly and I didn't give Australia a fair go in the beginning. Add to that some poor financial decisions relating to cars by my OH and the UK was beckoning all over again. Then when I tried applying for my citizenship we were informed that because we had been out of the country more than 90 days the application would fail. We stupidly thought common sense would prevail and applied anyway.....and were refused. Tried to appeal, but no appeal process so decided that we should come back incase I ever needed to return and something dreadful happened to OH. (This was all very convenient for me who wanted to come back anyway.)

My OH and boys loved Australia and so it was decided to get citizenship there 'just in case' and what a good job. I belly ached about waiting at the time but now I'm glad that the OH stuck to his guns. Basically in the last year we were there everything started getting a lot better. We could get out more no longer restricted by the brand new baby, no new systems to learn, we knew where to buy what and even began getting to know some of the back streets. We kept saying things like.....the boys will be OK with a small garden - at least they'll have the grandparents, we'll be able to flit over to Europe for weekend breaks and of course all that access to cheap holidays!

The reality for us has been alarmingly different. The bottom kind of fell out of the Aussie Dollar so we haven't wanted to move any more money than absolutely necessary at the moment. We're renting with no real hope of getting back onto the property ladder where we live, work, go to school etc. Trips to Europe and abroad are unlikely to happen due to limited funds - even a camping weekend has us checking whether we can really afford it! And with the threat of our £136 per month council tax going up by another 6% holiday opportunities will become more remote. OH has got a good job with good money but that means he is working an awful lot.....so we hardly get to see him. The friends and family we could hardly wait to see....we have hardly seen because everyone is just sooooo busy.

There is still loads about England that we love, but at this stage of our lives Australia has more to offer us. We were in rural Victoria so our experience was probably vastly different to those who go to the cities or suburbs. Life for us there was slow.....and while we struggled with that in the beginning, coming here has made us realise we actually enjoyed that pace more than this.

The only advantage England holds for us at the moment over Australia is the grandparents. They have been so delighted to spend time with the boys and they will be completely gutted if we go. One thing we did do though is make sure to say we were coming over to sort out my citizenship. That should take 3 years though and we just want to go asap!

Now after all that I am wondering if I answered your original question..... Basically, Australia has the lifestyle - not just the big house and garden. Friendly support, children allowed / encourage to be children, well rounded education not solely focused on academic excellence.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:29 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Hi,

For any one who remembers me, we returned to the UK after feeling very homesick only after a few days in Adelaide and sticking it out for 9 months to return to England just before Christmas.

We got back to normal life in Derbyshire, and at first it was great, if not a little cold, with family being there for us and actually they did have the kids for us so we could do some Christmas shopping, as we had nothing so all was good.

Anyway, Christmas came and went and so did the family support that I thought would be better having gone and come back. I got so much emotional blackmail off my Mum and MIL in Oz saying things would be so different if we came back and when you are a few thousand miles away its horrible having your Mum crying everytime you speak to her and the guilt is terrible so you start thinking their way. I would not mind that if they were grandparent who were alway there but once a month because they feel that they should have them, and that is both sets.

Anyway to cut a long story short, we returned but things got to the same point where my Kids only saw their grandparents a couple of times (they only lived 10 mins away) in the 6 months we were there (although my mates were amazing.) We were thinking why the hell did we come back, we did not give it long enough, we should have never given in to the emotional blackmail and thats why we are now back in Australia and it was a great feeling to be back here. We did not go back to Adelaide and thought we would give the Gold Coast a go and so glad we have. Its such a different place and in my opinion a better one for us.

My Mum did fall out with me and stopped all comunication with us when we told her we were returning, which is fair enough, she said she could not cope with saying goodbye again and did not want to speak or see us before we left which was really hard, and I went through the crying, numbness, and then anger that she could be like this to us because everyone else was so supportive to us. Anyway, now we are here we have been in contact and things are better between us as I can see no point in holding a grudge this far apart. She explained that now we are here she can cope with it and do text every couple of weeks and I ring her, although it will be a while before I can totally forget how she treated us. (but fully understand why).

I suppose what I am trying to say to anyone returning, do it because its what you want to do, not because you have been bullied in to it. You will regret it as soon as you have passed customs at Heathrow, like we did. Christmas made us channel our thoughts in to the Kids and there well being and being happy, but deep down we (hubby and me) were thinking the same thing, when can we get back to OZ. We did give the family a chance to change and become good grandparents - what we thought would be acceptable for my kids and would have cancelled our Australian life for them, but that did not happen.

Cor blimey I do go on a bit dont I.

Therapy, wow, I do feel better.

LibbyX

Good for you Libby ...so glad things worked out in the end
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:52 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

You are all so brave!
To return to the U.K and then have another go in Aus is just honourable.
I've lived in Aus as a child and returned to U.K when parents divorced and I really cannot see why anyone would want to return to the U.K.
However, we live in Oldham and there are lots of us on this site trying to get away from here. It is not the 'cotton mill town' it once was and is rapidly declining into a sorrowful mess
J x
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I really cannot see why anyone would want to return to the U.K.
It's not all bad. There are bad bits and good bits. Just like any country. And I suppose for those of us who have moved away, we can appreciate the UK that little bit more than perhaps we did when we lived here first time round.

The world is changing, it's not just Oldham!

Good luck back in Oz, hope you get your visa soon .
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:24 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
You are all so brave!
To return to the U.K and then have another go in Aus is just honourable.
I've lived in Aus as a child and returned to U.K when parents divorced and I really cannot see why anyone would want to return to the U.K.
However, we live in Oldham and there are lots of us on this site trying to get away from here. It is not the 'cotton mill town' it once was and is rapidly declining into a sorrowful mess
J x
that's the real worry for me......making decisions that we think are in the 'childs' best interests and when they grow up they may not thank us for it at all! Did both your Mum and Dad return - albeit seperately - and did you not get citizenship?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:33 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Banjo, Hidden Paw,
I'm sure your children will thank you for moving Banjo, I had a great childhood in Aus. I have the trouble of convincing my 13 year old daughter who has firm friends here that it is the best choice. But am I doing to her what happened to me? I returned to U.K and did not know anyone. It is a catch 22.
My Dad stayed in Aus and is still there today. I left aged 13 with Mum and did not get citizenship
My Dad came over a few years later and we went to Australia House in Manchester (before it closed) and because there was a queue I said 'Forget it' :scared: :scared:
How stupid and yes I have kicked myself a hundred times. I do think that I would have been granted a return visa for living every 2 out of 5 years there.
Young and completely stupid!!
J x
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:19 pm
I don't believe it!

grumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Checked my emails.......what a star you are....its lovely mate, Thankyou sooooo much. You are truly a lovely person.

My Mum rang me again at 6pm my time and we had a lovely chat.....I am a happy bunny today.

This time last year mate was awful, I cried all day in sadeliade, I can not believe how different I feel about things this year. Onwards and upwards.

Thankyou again my mate.

LibbyXXXXXXXX

I'm just a grumpy old fart, but your opening post on this thread actually moved me to tears - I don't bloody believe it! Anyhow. Im so glad you're back where you want to be - and more importantly you and your mum are speaking again....she's the only one you've got - hang on to her. All the very best of everything to you and your family, on both sides of the world - my thoughts are with you......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.