Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pet Transport Recommendations

Pet Transport Recommendations

Old Mar 15th 2024, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

rlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pet Transport Recommendations

Hi Folks
We've been in the US for 7 years now and would like to return to the UK asap. We are both dual citizens between US & UK.

I've searched on the forum for pet transport companies, but the threads are a couple of years old so assuming a bit outdated information.

Any recommended companies for transport from US (Boston) to LHR?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 16th 2024, 6:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Transport Recommendations

Originally Posted by rlolney58
Hi Folks
We've been in the US for 7 years now and would like to return to the UK asap. We are both dual citizens between US & UK.

I've searched on the forum for pet transport companies, but the threads are a couple of years old so assuming a bit outdated information.

Any recommended companies for transport from US (Boston) to LHR?

Thanks in advance!
I was recommended Air Animal, but I'm afraid that was a couple of years ago and I ended up managing it all myself due to the vast sums of money (3 - 4k usd) all the agencies wanted. Be aware that the airlines have recently doubled or more their prices, too. My cat's "ticket" from Chicago to London was about 600 USD, plus some others fees at each end. That 600 looks more like 1500 now, for one cat. He flew with IAG/ British, which I think is now the only line flying direct from the US to the UK that will take animals.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 16th 2024 at 6:32 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

gbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I was recommended Air Animal, but I'm afraid that was a couple of years ago and I ended up managing it all myself due to the vast sums of money (3 - 4k usd) all the agencies wanted. Be aware that the airlines have recently doubled or more their prices, too. My cat's "ticket" from Chicago to London was about 600 USD, plus some others fees at each end. That 600 looks more like 1500 now, for one cat. He flew with IAG/ British, which I think is now the only line flying direct from the US to the UK that will take animals.
Did you have the option of flying your cat as checked baggage on the same flight as you, or did you have to send him as cargo on a cargo flight? I’m trying to decipher the UK entry rules for pets and it’s not 100% clear if shipping pets in the checked baggage hold of the plane is acceptable or not. The airline I intend using has the option of taking pets as checked baggage.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

coolcat is an unknown quantity at this point

How big is your pet? La Compaigne are an airline that fly from New York to Paris and allow pets in the cabin depending on size. Rates are reasonable too.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

gbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond reputegbart951 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolcat
How big is your pet? La Compaigne are an airline that fly from New York to Paris and allow pets in the cabin depending on size. Rates are reasonable too.
We have two, one shepherd size and the other just a touch smaller, so cabin is out. We are looking far ahead (about 2 years before I retire) but would be flying from Toronto. Air Transat will fly pet crates as checked baggage in the cargo hold on the same flight as us, as opposed to having to fly them through cargo shipping. I'm just trying to work out if the UK entry rules will allow that or if we will have to ship them by cargo.
Old Mar 26th 2024, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Yes, unfortunately the UK won’t let you ship pets without using an approved pet shipping company. We are using a company in Vancouver and it’s going to cost about $2,200 and that’s for a small dog. Apparently you can fly into France or Ireland without using a pet transport company. If you are on Facebook, check this group out if it’s something you would be interested in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/271696157771325
Old Mar 26th 2024, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, unfortunately the UK won’t let you ship pets without using an approved pet shipping company. We are using a company in Vancouver and it’s going to cost about $2,200 and that’s for a small dog. Apparently you can fly into France or Ireland without using a pet transport company. If you are on Facebook, check this group out if it’s something you would be interested in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/271696157771325
I wonder if one would still need to have a company transport the pet from France into the UK? We've travelled across the channel with dogs and cats for years. On the one hand it can be a fairly routine process* if you have a vehicle, but we've recently been researching if it's possible without a vehicle and I don't think it's possible. I don't think you can take a pet on the Eurostar train, nor as a foot passenger on a ferry.

*I'm talking about with a pet passport with all the vaccines etc in order (getting this in order can take quite a long time depending on which country you live in)

I'm not sure about crossing from Ireland having never done it, and of course there's the ongoing situation about the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic which means that things are a bit changeable there
Old Mar 27th 2024, 9:34 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, unfortunately the UK won’t let you ship pets without using an approved pet shipping company.
I don't think that's right, unless it has changed in the last 18 months. I did my own from the US to the UK, successfully, in May of 2022.

What you do need is a UK broker on the UK end to process them through customs, and of course you must followed the approved process on the outgoing end - which I did.
Old Mar 27th 2024, 5:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I don't think that's right, unless it has changed in the last 18 months. I did my own from the US to the UK, successfully, in May of 2022.

What you do need is a UK broker on the UK end to process them through customs, and of course you must followed the approved process on the outgoing end - which I did.
I'm in a facebook group with a lot of people moving Aus to UK and many of them are sorting out the transportation themselves. SO it would need to be a very recent change - last couple of months.

Maybe Coolcat could give us a link to the actual rule, so we can pass it on?
Old Mar 27th 2024, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

It seems experiences vary. Thank you for sharing with those of us just starting the process.

I find this excerpt from the UK pet travel rules a bit ambiguous. Do they mean cargo as in using cargo shipping via the cargo terminal, or do they just mean in the cargo hold? As I mentioned before, the airline I would likely use will accept a crate as checked baggage in the cargo hold and they will advise where it can be picked up on arrival:

“Pets have to travel as cargo on a plane unless:

• you’re flying on a chartered private plane
  • you’re travelling with an assistance dog”;

Then there is this excerpt that mentions that you could have an agent get them through customs on arrival (Doesn't say you have to though):

“Entering Great Britain from outside the EU

You can only collect your pet after it’s been taken through customs. You can usually pay an agent, travel company or airline to do this for you.

If you cannot get someone to do this for you, you should either:
  • contact customs where you’re arriving before you travel
  • ask the National Clearance Hub for more information”

Maybe Lion_in_Winter could share how they did the initial shipping from the US before the broker took over?
Old Mar 28th 2024, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by gbart951
It seems experiences vary. Thank you for sharing with those of us just starting the process.

I find this excerpt from the UK pet travel rules a bit ambiguous. Do they mean cargo as in using cargo shipping via the cargo terminal, or do they just mean in the cargo hold? As I mentioned before, the airline I would likely use will accept a crate as checked baggage in the cargo hold and they will advise where it can be picked up on arrival:

“Pets have to travel as cargo on a plane unless:

• you’re flying on a chartered private plane
  • you’re travelling with an assistance dog”;

Then there is this excerpt that mentions that you could have an agent get them through customs on arrival (Doesn't say you have to though):

“Entering Great Britain from outside the EU

You can only collect your pet after it’s been taken through customs. You can usually pay an agent, travel company or airline to do this for you.

If you cannot get someone to do this for you, you should either:
  • contact customs where you’re arriving before you travel
  • ask the National Clearance Hub for more information”

Maybe Lion_in_Winter could share how they did the initial shipping from the US before the broker took over?

I can't manage a blow by blow account, it's detailed and I don't remember it all.

The first chunk is here, regarding getting the health certificate.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...-treatments-uk

Top tip - use a USDA accredited vet who is used to the process and can submit the forms for you to get the required travel permit/certificate.

Second - make sure you check with your airline as to their requirements - crate type, paperwork, payments and reservations, and more. You are responsible for that and you have to make a separate booking with them. I think the only company left that does this direct from US to UK is IAG, which is BA's cargo arm. All animals fly in cargo to the UK from the US but you can't show up at the passenger terminal with them. They have to be taken to the cargo terminal. You have to buy your own passenger ticket separately. Not all flights can carry animals. Be careful about weather. If it's very hot or very cold they won't fly the animal for its own safety.

So - you do everything and follow all instructions TO THE LETTER. Don't wing it or say "close enough".

You will have to line up your UK broker beforehand and your airline will need that information. The broker will oversee getting your animal through the process at the Heathrow Animal Reception Center and either let you know when you can pick up (a few hours after landing) or for a fee will often deliver your animal to your UK address. You can google, but I used James Cargo who were very good.

This is ONLY for US to UK direct travel. I know nothing about other countries, or going via another country.
Old Mar 28th 2024, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by gbart951
Did you have the option of flying your cat as checked baggage on the same flight as you, or did you have to send him as cargo on a cargo flight? I’m trying to decipher the UK entry rules for pets and it’s not 100% clear if shipping pets in the checked baggage hold of the plane is acceptable or not. The airline I intend using has the option of taking pets as checked baggage.

Animals go as cargo on passenger flights.

Everything in the hold of a plane is cargo, whether it's animal, passenger luggage, or other items being transported. You cannot just fly them like an extra bag, there is a whole other process as per my post above, at least if you are flying directly into the UK from the US.
Old Mar 28th 2024, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Lion_in_Winter thank you for the additional information. The USDA site is quite helpful and laid out a bit more clearly than the UK site. We would be flying from Canada though so rules may be slightly different with the airlines. Here is an excerpt from the Air Transat site that indicates being able to drop the crate at the check-in counter:
“At the airport
Ensure your pet is inside their cage and delivered to our check-in counters no later than 90 minutes prior to departure. Animals presented after that time may be denied transport;

Before departure, we will confirm that your pet has been loaded into the cargo hold and on arrival, where your pet will be delivered;

In the event of a delay Air Transat will make every effort to return the animal to the responsible passenger.”

It was this that prompted my questions. I will have to call them up at some point and ask for clarification especially for arrival and customs clearance. I might be able to do as you did and have a broker just meet the crates on arrival to guide them through customs.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 5th 2024, 4:33 am
Just Joined

When we moved out to Canada we flew with our dog and we checked her in at LHR along with our other bags.., someone came to the check in and took her. That was Air Transat and was in 2006. Going back the other way seems way more complicated and the lack of clear info and conflicting opinions makes it hard. We have decided to just take the hit and use a pet transport company. There’s enough other stuff to sort out without worrying about all the rules regarding the dog. She will be in cargo on our flight. Cost is about $2300 Vancouver to Heathrow. But she is a small dog and I think it gets more expensive for the larger dogs.
Old Apr 6th 2024, 10:36 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved out to Canada we flew with our dog and we checked her in at LHR along with our other bags.., someone came to the check in and took her. That was Air Transat and was in 2006. Going back the other way seems way more complicated and the lack of clear info and conflicting opinions makes it hard. We have decided to just take the hit and use a pet transport company. There’s enough other stuff to sort out without worrying about all the rules regarding the dog. She will be in cargo on our flight. Cost is about $2300 Vancouver to Heathrow. But she is a small dog and I think it gets more expensive for the larger dogs.
I completely agree with your "one less thing to worry about" idea. Unless the costs are completely prohibitive, it makes sense to pay for peace of mind.

When I brought Suzy over to the UK in 2000 to join me (I'd gone ahead to find my accommodation, etc.), the costs of shipping, transport from LHR to Glasgow, and then 6 months quarantine were eye-watering - but over the next 12 years, she had an absolutely wonderful life and we hiked mountains, travelled on ferries, trains, had all sorts of wonderful adventures. Looking back years later, the fact it cost me several thousands of pounds is hardly on my radar. At the time, I got regular updates of where she was, the fact she had landed safely, etc. Worth every penny to know she was safe and being taken good care of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.