Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pet protocol from Canada to UK (pet born outside UK)

Pet protocol from Canada to UK (pet born outside UK)

Old Sep 15th 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Question Pet protocol from Canada to UK (pet born outside UK)

This is just because the instructions seem vague-ish to me (how vague was that?!?! LOL!) Anyone moved a dog born in Canada TO the UK FROM Canada - recently?

SO, I have a dog we're bringing over (it is unlikely at this point - given his health concerns - that the Old Cat is coming over, we don't think he'd fare well with a plane ride if just day to day life at home gets the better of him some days). We had her microchipped this weekend. The microchip is an international ISO one. CHECK. Next week we do the rabies (among other) vaccine. CHECK. Now, it's just wait, right? I have that 4 page DEFRA thing that the vet is keeping and filling out as the time goes on, so everything is in one place... so, if I understand correctly, we're free till at least 21 days passes, AND the tapeworm treatment has to be done.

This is my question.. it's about timing.

I'm understanding this:

1. tapeworm - minimum wait now is 24 hours before flight
2. immediately see CFIA (without dog?) to get paperwork approved
3. get dog to plane BEFORE 3 days from after the 24 hours is over (see 1) is up - on an approved airline.
4. pick up dog at animal reception in Heathrow (only port of entry allowed?)
5. vow NEVER to do this again in ANY direction.

Is that right? Or am I missing a step? The vaccine has to be a minimum of 21 days post injection, but it's good up to a year, right? So if we do it this week, and don't ship her for three months, it's still good, right?

This is probably our scariest part... I'm so worried I'm going to mess this up, and since my Hunny is leaving in three weeks and I have to do the end part on my own with two kiddos, I'm feeling like it's almost certain I will mess up one step and land the dog in quarantine for months.

Oh, and btw, how do I know for CERTAIN that the microchip (though CA/US/EU ISO will be readable in the UK? Do I call Animal Reception at Heathrow and tell them the type of microchip?

Thanks for ANY wise counsel!!!
Blessings!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:39 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet protocol from Canada to UK (pet born outside UK)

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
This is just because the instructions seem vague-ish to me (how vague was that?!?! LOL!) Anyone moved a dog born in Canada TO the UK FROM Canada - recently?

SO, I have a dog we're bringing over (it is unlikely at this point - given his health concerns - that the Old Cat is coming over, we don't think he'd fare well with a plane ride if just day to day life at home gets the better of him some days). We had her microchipped this weekend. The microchip is an international ISO one. CHECK. Next week we do the rabies (among other) vaccine. CHECK. Now, it's just wait, right? I have that 4 page DEFRA thing that the vet is keeping and filling out as the time goes on, so everything is in one place... so, if I understand correctly, we're free till at least 21 days passes, AND the tapeworm treatment has to be done.

I'm understanding this:

3. get dog to plane BEFORE 3 days from after the 24 hours is over (see 1) is up - on an approved airline.

Is that right? Or am I missing a step? The vaccine has to be a minimum of 21 days post injection, but it's good up to a year, right? So if we do it this week, and don't ship her for three months, it's still good, right?

This is probably our scariest part... I'm so worried I'm going to mess this up, and since my Hunny is leaving in three weeks and I have to do the end part on my own with two kiddos, I'm feeling like it's almost certain I will mess up one step and land the dog in quarantine for months.

Oh, and btw, how do I know for CERTAIN that the microchip (though CA/US/EU ISO will be readable in the UK? Do I call Animal Reception at Heathrow and tell them the type of microchip?

Blessings!
Hi ya pondhopper, good luck with your move!

We moved our dog back from NS last year so quite recent. We had to get the paperwork stamped and validated by a government approved vet at the final step. Speak to your vet to confirm this and he/she should recommend one close to you.

Just realised this is possibly your step 2? (note to self - read throughly before replying!)

Step 5 is most important! LOL

Do you know where you're moving back to?

Last edited by Lorry1; Sep 16th 2014 at 8:44 am.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

The DEFRA paperwork once signed by the CFIA vet is only valid for 10 days so make sure you dont send it for their approval any sooner than 10 days when you fly. You have to actually land within that 10 days too not just take off.
Once you have had your local vet administer the tape worm make sure they sign off that part of the paperwork. CFIA approval is done before the tapeworm and is still valid.
If you have the ISO microchip then no need to worry. The HARC has many scanners that will read different types of chips. My dog had an old US chip and there was no problem it was still readable even though it wasn't ISO.
Rabies is good for a year so as long as you wait 21 days before having the paperwork signed by CFIA it will be fine.
Tapeworm treatment has to be administered between 1-5 days before landing in the UK so you have a window in which to fly.

Good luck. Just brought my dog into the UK from the US and it was definitely the most stressful part of the move. I created a calendar for my dog stuff once I had my flight date. It was easier to make sure I had the timing of everything correct.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

My Hunny moves in three weeks, Lorry, but we'll leave later. Before Christmas for sure... the kids are not spending a Christmas without Daddy!

Igabriel, I think a pet calendar is a good idea. We're shipping the dog on a separate day from me and the kiddos so my Hunny can pick her up and not have to fight luggage. We'll book our tickets for a few days later.

I didn't realise the CFIA could be done before the tapeworm... Good to know!!
Thanks!!!
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Claireychick is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a reasonable quote from a pet transportation company who deal with all the paperwork etc, at least now they can come in and not have to do quarantine .
Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm understanding this:

Blessings!
Couple of observations. I moved my dog back and forth across the Atlantic (3 times!) in the quarantine and pet passport days, so slightly different from the current situation, which is miles less stressful (although you probably don't think so!)

First, for permissible routes, Google DEFRA approved routes. LHR is not the only allowable port of entry, depending on where you originate.

Second, re: chip, call DEFRA. They are really helpful. You can also buy a scanner and carry it with you if you are really feeling paranoid but these days most scanners read most chip types.

If you do go into LHR, the Animal Reception Centre wait can be anything from an hour to, in my case, about 3 or 4 hours. It isn't exactly an airport style facility (vending machines only, small seating area), so bring something to do, and maybe pick up some decent food on your way there.

Good luck!
Old Sep 18th 2014, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Dunroving! Good tip on the snacks! My Hunny is heading ober in a couple of weeks and we'll actually be sending the dog over separately from us travelling. That way Hunny can focus on getting her at animal reception and I only have to worry about kiddos when I fly (I'm not a great flyer, btw... And it'll be the kids' first time on a plane - I pity the people sitting aound me! LOL!)

I'll go see where else the dog can come in, because Heathrow is one of my least favourite places. Ever.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 1:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dunroving! Good tip on the snacks! My Hunny is heading ober in a couple of weeks and we'll actually be sending the dog over separately from us travelling. That way Hunny can focus on getting her at animal reception and I only have to worry about kiddos when I fly (I'm not a great flyer, btw... And it'll be the kids' first time on a plane - I pity the people sitting aound me! LOL!)

I'll go see where else the dog can come in, because Heathrow is one of my least favourite places. Ever.
No problem, I remember how stressful the experience was (2000, 2001 and 2006). I pulled up the Defra pages:

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...for-pet-owners (general page)

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...air-routes.pdf (list of approved air routes)

Looks like Air Canada routes to London Heathrow, Manchester, Edinburgh are approved.

Interesting that the list seems to have changed - they now list airlines, with approved UK ports of entry (they used to list actual routes, e.g., Toronto to LHR, Manchester, etc.)

Last edited by dunroving; Sep 18th 2014 at 1:21 pm.