Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pay as you go phone, no expire

Pay as you go phone, no expire

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of
Default Pay as you go phone, no expire

I was wondering if there was a pay as you go phone I could buy from the UK and ship to canada that is pay as you go so I can use it when I am over there that you can buy minutes that do not expire?

If so can you please link to the site as Im having issues finding one, thanks so much
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:14 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pay as you go phone, no expire

on another post someone suggested

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin.../#post11649866

Get your Canadian phone unlocked, then when in the UK get a PAYG SIM card free from https://www.giffgaff.com

Order it for a UK address delivery

You will get country wide 500 minutes/mth (no charge incoming calls) for £10/mth, or lesser minutes for a lesser cost

https://www.giffgaff.com/goodybags-3g

Last edited by not2old; Jun 3rd 2015 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of

Ill have a look at that post, thanks

I wont have a canadian phone when I go over there, long story, Im hoping to buy one online from the UK, have it shipped to Canada so when I land there I can activate it to use, Id rather do a pay as you go as Im not sure how much I will use it or what the future holds!
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

cheaper to buy an unlocked phone on this side. Go to your local mall to one of the phone booth shops & ask for a low cost unlocked 3G phone. Should cost you about $100 -$150.

Or a cheapy that you prefer, then get it unlocked for about $50

In the UK you'd pay that in pounds, plus shipping, will it get damaged etc
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks!

Do they sell pay as you go top ups and sim cards at most UK airports(been a while since Ive been back there!)

Im just worried I land, get a rental car, have no working phone and get lost lol!
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, not finding much here, London Drugs has a few unlocked ones but they aint cheap and are brands Ive not heard of, Ill pop to best buy etc next week, hard to tell online as they dont always list 3 or 4 G or both and some are unlocked but only compatible with certain carriers!
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 9:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Isismom
Thanks!

Do they sell pay as you go top ups and sim cards at most UK airports(been a while since Ive been back there!)

Im just worried I land, get a rental car, have no working phone and get lost lol!
you can google the airport that you'll be landing at & I believe the major companies are there

example in the search bar below Heathrow look for EE, Orange or O2

EE Store Finder – for EE, T-Mobile and Orange

Pay As You Go Voice and Data Handsets | Latest PhonesEE
Old Jun 4th 2015, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

For many years before I moved back to UK I had an O2 PAYG sim which didn't expire but I had to make a call once every few months to keep it current. If you have an old unlocked phone then you can use it in that. Phone shops are ten a penny, I wouldn't worry about finding one!
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

I think itll be easier just to go to tesco when I land, theres one at the airport I believe, Im pretty sure I threw all my old UK phones out, been a while, 12 years but Ill have a rake around, there were a couple old nokias kicking around for a while
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Buy an unlocked phone here, I bought mine on Amazon.com. Do not buy a PAYG SIM at the airport vending machines (expensive and may not even work), purchase outside at Tesco or other market. Try Amazon.co.uk as you may find some vendors will mail the pre-charged PAYG SIM to you in Canada.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Staples in Canada sells unlocked phones
It's easy to find the Office Supplies, Copy Paper, Furniture, Ink, Toner, Cleaning Products, Electronics and Technology you need | Staples®
and I bought a giffgaff SIM card on ebay which was sent to me in Canada before I left
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=...f+SIM&_sacat=0

Last edited by the1mag; Jun 4th 2015 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 2:58 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

It is so easy to buy pay-as-you-go phones in the UK. I wouldn't worry about it till I got there. Ours are Orange (the company name has changed I think). The last time we were over we bought one and it took maybe 15 minutes. The other one that we already owned was two years old and they were able to reactivate it.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

The annoying thing for many visitors to Britain is that the time you really need a mobile phone is when you first land at the airport. That is when it is not so easy to get one without complications. Such as lugging much luggage over distances.

The next day, with luggage unpacked and supermarkets everywhere it is easy and cheap to get a mobile - but the biggest need to have one has already passed!

What we really need is phones that don't expire when unused for a year or two. And they don't exist.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 3:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by the1mag
Staples in Canada sells unlocked phones
It's easy to find the Office Supplies, Copy Paper, Furniture, Ink, Toner, Cleaning Products, Electronics and Technology you need | Staples®
and I bought a giffgaff SIM card on ebay which was sent to me in Canada before I left
giffgaff SIM | eBay

thanks for the input & recommendation

I agree, if its possible to do before leaving this side of the pond, that you'd want a phone ready to go when you land in the UK without all the fiff-faffing around.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention that I contacted giffgaff direct from Canada and they wouldn't send a SIM card by mail which is why I got one via ebay, but my phone was already unlocked so I had service as soon as I landed at Heathrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.