Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

which passport to use, one way flight to uk

which passport to use, one way flight to uk

Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future
Default which passport to use, one way flight to uk

Hello,

I am getting confused,

I am returning to uk at beginning of September with my 2 children, they are restarting school in UK, and we are all living with my mum for the foreseeable future. I am going to book one way flights for us three.

My husband is staying in Canada, again for the foreseeable future, house not sold, still has great job in Canada, so he will definitely be a resident in canada ( we are all british and Canadian citizens).

I do not know which passport to use to leave Canada and enter the uk, - we all have both., on that one way flight?

I envision coming back with the children to Canada for at least all the school holidays, and will book return flights on all of those occasions. I will not working in either country and will look after my aging mum.

Can I be resident in both countries? How does that affect medical cover in both countries? I would if I can elect for the children to both be residents of the uk, but not me, as I may go back to canda when the kids go to uni in Uk, or something happens to my mum, or hubby staying there indefinitely with his job.

I have bank accounts in both countries, and some mail has always gone to mums house, bank statements, share certificates , time share stuff etc.

Will the uk authoriites be unhappy with my Canadian passport, should I just show my uk one to them? And which passport details shall I put for the flight info?

Sue
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which passport to use, one way flight to uk

Originally Posted by Sewing Susan
Hello,

I am getting confused,

I am returning to uk at beginning of September with my 2 children, they are restarting school in UK, and we are all living with my mum for the foreseeable future. I am going to book one way flights for us three.

My husband is staying in Canada, again for the foreseeable future, house not sold, still has great job in Canada, so he will definitely be a resident in canada ( we are all british and Canadian citizens).

I do not know which passport to use to leave Canada and enter the uk, - we all have both., on that one way flight?

I envision coming back with the children to Canada for at least all the school holidays, and will book return flights on all of those occasions. I will not working in either country and will look after my aging mum.

Can I be resident in both countries? How does that affect medical cover in both countries? I would if I can elect for the children to both be residents of the uk, but not me, as I may go back to canda when the kids go to uni in Uk, or something happens to my mum, or hubby staying there indefinitely with his job.

I have bank accounts in both countries, and some mail has always gone to mums house, bank statements, share certificates , time share stuff etc.

Will the uk authoriites be unhappy with my Canadian passport, should I just show my uk one to them? And which passport details shall I put for the flight info?

Sue
Enter UK on British passport, UK doesn't care to know what other passports you may have. Just walk on in as if you had had a brief holiday away. Show UK passport and they will scan it.
If you enter on a non-UK passport then maybe you will have a limited stay obligation as a foreigner.

Someone else will have to answer the residency question. It may affect your tax and rights status.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

No one has responded to your questions about residency, maybe because your title does not suggest you need a residency answer.
May I suggest that you make a new post with a title appropriate to your residency question.
Regards, John
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sewing Susan
Hello,

I am getting confused,

Sue
You can be resident in both Canada and the Uk at the same time, in fact you can be resident in several countries at once, but you can only be ordinarily resident in one for the purposes of being eligible for NHS coverage and also Canadian healthcare in general it seems:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/medi-...faq-eng.php#a2

"a person lawfully entitled to be or to remain in Canada who makes his home and is ordinarily present in the province, but does not include a tourist, a transient or a visitor to the province."

"Most provinces and territories also require residents to be physically present 183 days annually, and provide evidence of their intent to return to the province."

You also need to be residing actually in the UK on a settled basis for over six months a year to be deemed ordinarily resident for NHS purposes.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 14th 2013 at 3:55 pm. Reason: highlighting for NHS purposes
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant futureSewing Susan has a brilliant future

Thank you for all of that information. I appreciate it.

Sue
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[
Same senario for us only with Aus passports, we just (myself and our two Sons) entered the UK on our British Passports (we use to do this even when we came to the UK on holiday) good luck
Old Jun 24th 2013, 11:42 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, (and slightly off-topic) you may actually find it cheaper to book a return flight. You don't have to use the return leg. Just something for you to consider.