Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Parsons Green bomb explosion

Parsons Green bomb explosion

Old Sep 18th 2017, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parsons Green bomb explosion

Outlawing private schools is infeasible and wrong for many reasons.
Requiring all children, all children, to attend state schools full time is not wrong and achieves the desired purposes.

Those who presently live at private boarding schools can still be sent each day to attend the local state schools full time. And, if necessary, bussed to distribute the schoolchildren so as to ensure that cliques of the privileged do not develop in state schools.

Last edited by holly_1948; Sep 18th 2017 at 12:58 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Simple, answer...I don't ! I'd like them to weaken there stranglehold over their flock. If families want to indoctrinate their kids in their spare time or weekends, that's ok (I'd prefer they didn't, but I am a liberal at heart).

I agree that most religions (Islam included) provide spiritual and community benefits to followers. But they also perpetuate irrationality. Look at that Rees Moggs (highly educated MP) in the UK, banging on in this day and age that life begins at the point of conception. These kind supernatural beliefs hinder society, and for no good reason. Why perpetuate medieval thought systems? I don't think it's an over reaction, I think it's modern thinking, and I'd like more people to get on board.

Look at the turnaround Western society has made on gay rights in the last 20 years, you could not have predicted such a rapid substantive change of philosophy. It's about tipping points. My faith is that we will get to that tipping point on religion within a few decades. Social media and globalisation is making the spread of ideas faster. New ethical dilemmas to do with AI will dwarf much of the simplistic wisdom of our desert dwelling forbears, and things will change.
While an interesting topic for debate perhaps on another thread, it isn't religion that is the issue, but a certain ideological worldview within a certain religious/cultural/political/ideological group that is causing current and perhaps much greater problems in the future.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
While an interesting topic for debate perhaps on another thread, it isn't religion that is the issue, but a certain ideological worldview within a certain religious/cultural/political/ideological group that is causing current and perhaps much greater problems in the future.
I would say it is religion, and in particular, false equivalents.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I would say it is religion, and in particular, false equivalents.
Hardly is it religion in general- no Quakers running around committing terrorist acts, or C of E clerics advocating jihad, or for that matter Baptists blowing themselves up in various countries.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 4:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly is it religion in general- no Quakers running around committing terrorist acts, or C of E clerics advocating jihad, or for that matter Baptists blowing themselves up in various countries.
The general debate on religion is important because without it, many well meaning liberals make the false equivalency between benign CofE and toxic 'you know what'.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the 70's and 80's in N. Ireland, plenty of Catholics and Protestants blowing each other up in the name of religion. And all Christian too.

Last edited by Richard8655; Sep 18th 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 2:24 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think there are millions of Europeans who would question whether the multiculturalism agenda has been "voluntary".

I don't understand, how are Orthodox not "allowed" to integrate- they may not , but do seem to accept the need to respect and follow the laws of the country they are living in.
Not sure what you mean. Who said the Orthodox are not "allowed" to integrate? My point was of course they are allowed to integrate, it's a personal choice. Whereas African Americans in the Jim Crow era and black South Africans under apartheid were forced into the "separate development" programme.

But maybe you completely misread my post??
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234
Not sure what you mean. Who said the Orthodox are not "allowed" to integrate? My point was of course they are allowed to integrate, it's a personal choice. Whereas African Americans in the Jim Crow era and black South Africans under apartheid were forced into the "separate development" programme.

But maybe you completely misread my post??
Maybe I did