Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

PADDAD now dadpad returned from a week in the UK

PADDAD now dadpad returned from a week in the UK

Old Apr 24th 2006, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

rightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: PADDAD now dadpad returned from a week in the UK

We too are planning to return to live in the UK permanently once our house is sold.We,ve been living near Brisbane for just over 8 years and feel that we need to go home to get our life back. Like you we think its great for a holiday but not somewhere we could live forever.Thanks for your post,it all helps to assure us that we,re making the right decision and best of luck with the move !
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

dadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant future

I wasn't quite sure what sort of reception my post would get but I am really pleased that it's been a positive one.

Thanks for your replies and good luck to all those returning. It's a numskulling decision to make so be kind to yourselves - lots of red wine is good too.

Last edited by dadpad; Apr 24th 2006 at 10:28 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Hi, I'm glad things are working out for you. How did you find getting your children back into schools in the UK? The LEA's are not very helpful until you have a proper resident address and yet we do not want to move back until we have sorted out the schools the children will be going to! It is so much easier here where you just have to turn up at the school and the children can start on that day!

If your child is going back into Year 10 has the school you enrolled him in given you any idea how that will affect his GCSE's. I have a boy who will be going back into Year 10 or Year 11 if we do not make it back by September and the schools have been very unsure how they will handle this. One school said that he would have to go back to do Year 10 again (which he would hate).

Hope you don't mind me asking.
hi dadpad
glad things are working out for you
Kt2006 - re schools. i did quite a sneaky thing to get my kids back into their old school. my mail was still being redirected from the house we sold, so i gave that as my address so there was a postal address to get them in. i explained that while this was my address now (but wasnt), i would be moving into rental accomo asap in the same area soon (so they would expext address change but dont think i really shouldve needed to do that). so when the letter`was sent offering the place, it was just redirected to me so i knew to accept place etc. when kids started school this week, i just went to the office and said id moved and this was my new address (the real rental i have now). theres nothing they can do since ive already got the place. have you a friend/ fam member whos address you can use now to get the place?
best wishes
c xxx
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

dadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chance to be
hi dadpad
Kt2006 - re schools. i did quite a sneaky thing to get my kids back into their old school. my mail was still being redirected from the house we sold, so i gave that as my address so there was a postal address to get them in. i explained that while this was my address now (but wasnt), i would be moving into rental accomo asap in the same area soon (so they would expext address change but dont think i really shouldve needed to do that). so when the letter`was sent offering the place, it was just redirected to me so i knew to accept place etc. when kids started school this week, i just went to the office and said id moved and this was my new address (the real rental i have now). theres nothing they can do since ive already got the place. have you a friend/ fam member whos address you can use now to get the place?
best wishes
c xxx
Thanks for that. We have had mail redirected to my outlaws but they don't fall into the catchment area for the particular school we're after. However I am currently looking at other options and will keep you posted.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Originally Posted by chance to be
hi dadpad
best wishes
c xxx
Hi, thanks for the info. My children (10 and 15) are possibly older than yours and the schools (middle and high) don't make the decisions on who they accept. The local LEA deals with admissions and they are so jobsworth. I applied for a place using my friend's address as she would let me stay for a few weeks but the LEA asked for an electricity bill, etc. I rang them to say that I did not have a bill and they said in that case I would have to wait until I got back to England and then see what happens!!! This is just not what you need when the whole process has been so disruptive anyway. I can get them into another school using a bill from a rental that I paid before we got here but that would mean going to a new school in Year 10 which is one of his GCSE years. If he was allowed to just slot back in to his old school life would be so much easier.
Thanks for your advice and I'm glad that things are starting to work out for you.
Kathy