From Oz to UK 2004

Old Jul 27th 2003, 1:07 am
Merlot

Talking From Oz to UK 2004

Hi there

New to this site but finding it so useful.

Moving back to the UK after 7 years in Oz. Any advice that can be offered by people doing the same thing (or have done the same thing) would be appreciated. Doing heaps of research from the web on all areas.

Need advice on the following:

Transporting a cat back to the UK (seen some fab advice on the site already)?
Freight companies, we are selling our furniture so only personal effects - any advice or recommendations?
Setting up life in the UK - bank accounts, renting a home, etc

Any other titbits would be welcome.

Be lucky
Merlot

Old Jul 27th 2003, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From Oz to UK 2004

Originally posted by Merlot
Hi there

Moving back to the UK after 7 years in Oz. Any advice that can be offered by people doing the same thing (or have done the same thing) would be appreciated. Doing heaps of research from the web on all areas.

Freight companies, we are selling our furniture so only personal effects - any advice or recommendations?

Be lucky
Merlot
I don't have any advice about the move (although me and my wife are planning on returning, hopefully by the end of the year) One small tip though....when you check previous threads on this site, go back more than thirty days. There's loads of useful info around, but some of it is on threads that haven't been posted on inthe last thirty days or more. Or alternatively you can do a search. Hope this makes sense, and good luck!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2003, 3:38 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi there

Be lucky
Merlot

This may get you started, these are a few links which I have stored in my favourites

http://www.themovechannel.com/sitefe...-house-prices/ -" the move channel "- it has homes for sale, rentals and plus heaps more info , it's quite a large informative site - forums where you may find advice to some of your questions for Britain. I haven't had time to look around the whole site myself.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm for your pets

http://www.britaus.net/ (your gateway to Britain - info - so this may be helpful)

http://www.thishouseisforsale.co.uk/ - a real estate link for S W England and Wales.- plus find a mortgage finder etc

Cheers
Old Jul 29th 2003, 7:50 pm
Wet nose wheatie

wendy collins is an unknown quantity at this point

When trying to open a bank account you may find it useful to have a letter of introduction from your existing Australian Bank as you won't be on the electoral register etc for the uk bank to check references
Old Aug 7th 2003, 3:11 am
Merlot

Thanks to all for your help so far

Originally posted by wendy collins
When trying to open a bank account you may find it useful to have a letter of introduction from your existing Australian Bank as you won't be on the electoral register etc for the uk bank to check references

Old Aug 7th 2003, 8:24 am
Wet nose wheatie

wendy collins is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you coming back anyway? We are trying to leave...
Old Aug 13th 2003, 9:30 am
Merlot

Originally posted by wendy collins
Why are you coming back anyway? We are trying to leave...
Hi Wendy

One millions reasons, all different and the same to others.

It is hard to say why you should come to Oz, you must trust your own instincts. I have been here nearly 7 years, I didn't intend to stay here, I came as a back-packer, married and never went back. My time has come to go home, I never intended Oz to be my home. Plus miss loads of things, family, family events, decent TV, decent fish n chips, pickled onion Monster Munch, Jaffa Cakes, decent fitting bra's from Marks.

Don't let anyone put you off your plans, you could be extremely happy here and if you feel that will happen, don't let it go!!

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Aug 17th 2003, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved back home last month after about 5 years. We shipped two cats via animal passport scheme and it was very straightforward although we used an agent to do the paperwork for us. The cats were hungry but otherwise fine and are happily settling into their new lives, shedding winter coats, chasing butterflies and bumblebees instead of skinks and mozzies.

Surprisingly despite what is posted sometimes on here UK has changed very little. One thing though we have noticed is jobs in the SE appear to be in good supply. Most service industries here seem to be advertising for staff and it makes me smile when you consider how in oz even spotty kids cooking burgers at mcdonalds are made to sit pyschometric tests to ensure they "fit the culture" because the queues of job seekers are so long!!! The other point worth making is salaries have risen a lot in the past few years and we now understand why house prices have also risen given the low unemployment here, high salaries and amazingly competitive mortgage market - some of the interest rate deals on mortgages here you would not believe after living in Oz for a few years and becoming used to the cosy cartel of 4 banks they have there.

good luck with the move anyway.

Hi there

Be lucky
Merlot
Old Aug 18th 2003, 10:03 am
Merlot

Thank you for taking the time to reply with the most accurate and frank overview of the UK, it is appreciated.

Off in March 2004 and counting down.

What company did you use for your cats? Did they fly from Sydney? I have the best relationship with Transpet so far.

All the very best
Merlot

Originally posted by captaincook
Moved back home last month after about 5 years. We shipped two cats via animal passport scheme and it was very straightforward although we used an agent to do the paperwork for us. The cats were hungry but otherwise fine and are happily settling into their new lives, shedding winter coats, chasing butterflies and bumblebees instead of skinks and mozzies.

Surprisingly despite what is posted sometimes on here UK has changed very little. One thing though we have noticed is jobs in the SE appear to be in good supply. Most service industries here seem to be advertising for staff and it makes me smile when you consider how in oz even spotty kids cooking burgers at mcdonalds are made to sit pyschometric tests to ensure they "fit the culture" because the queues of job seekers are so long!!! The other point worth making is salaries have risen a lot in the past few years and we now understand why house prices have also risen given the low unemployment here, high salaries and amazingly competitive mortgage market - some of the interest rate deals on mortgages here you would not believe after living in Oz for a few years and becoming used to the cosy cartel of 4 banks they have there.

Last edited by Merlot; Aug 22nd 2003 at 5:42 am.

Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving cats!

Hi Captain Cook,

Just curious as to which airline you used to move your cats back to the UK? Were you allowed to take them in the cabin with you or did they go in the hold? We are returning to the UK next year with our beloved feline and after one terribly bad experience, I swore I would never put him in the hold again. I realize that the quarantine laws have been lifted in the UK but how long did the clearance procedure take once you landed? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Sheryl
Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

We used dogtainers in brisbane and they were fine. They went from Brisbane and used the official qantas route which is authorised under the pet passport scheme. I think qantas are the only ones authorised in Oz. One point if they fly direct from sydney they do not have to change planes at singapore they just stay put whilst the plane is on the ground. Ours coming from Brisbane had to be transferred to the London flight.

Sheryl, we were advised they had to travel in the hold although apparently it is in the middle of the aircraft, has a light and is obviously pressurised. Do not know if you can avoid this.

At Heathrow they are taken to the animal quarantine centre for clearance. Our agent arranged for a handling agent to meet them there and clear them. Ours landed at 5am and the agent handed them over at about 10.30 am that same day. Mum & Dad actually collected them for us as we were on a different flight but we just appointed Dad as the authorised person. Qantas also provide an airway bill number which you can use to track the "cargo" on their internet site which as concerned parents we found reassuring to know they had landed in Singapore and then taken off for London.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with the most accurate and frank overview of the UK, it is appreciated.

Off in March 204 and counting down.

What company did you use for your cats? Did they fly from Sydney? I have the best realtionship with Transpet so far.

All the very best
Merlot

Last edited by captaincook; Aug 19th 2003 at 9:31 am.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again,

Thanks so much for your response to my query - t'was much appreciated!

Hope you all settle back into the UK well and good luck for the future.

Best Regards,

Sheryl
Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:31 pm

pomijean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by captaincook

Very good post,please can you tell me the cost of air fares for the cats through dogtainers as I would like to get some idea as I have 3 cats and two dogs and 2 budgies to bring,will have to rent somewhere quiet with that lot until we can find a house to buy Jean
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 5:41 am
Merlot

Default Transport Companies to try

www.dogtainers.com.au

www.transpet.com.au

www.jetpet.com.au

Good luck

Merlot

Old Aug 22nd 2003, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

We paid about $2300 to ship the 2 cats - both jet pets and dogtainers were within $100 of each other but we considered dogtainers came across as more caring and less hard sell - just our personal preference. That figure does'nt include the vet bills for the petpassport scheme.

Good luck with the move.

Originally posted by pomijean
Very good post,please can you tell me the cost of air fares for the cats through dogtainers as I would like to get some idea as I have 3 cats and two dogs and 2 budgies to bring,will have to rent somewhere quiet with that lot until we can find a house to buy Jean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.